View previous topic :: View next topic  
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: US Navy Yacht Club Reply with quote

I was looking at the marina facilities at Coronado Amphibious base and noticed that the US Navy Yacht Club is located there..... and you can become a member for $40 and $30 for returning members....

What makes this interesting is that they have an AMAZING reciprpcity list....allowing the members privileges at lots of Yacht Clubs..especially in Southern California.... I am sure there is also a list for Washington clubs....

I checked several local clubs and they allow 2 or 3 days tie-up at their docks to visiting members.... neat deal if you travel..

Anyone a member ? anyone tired this ?

Joel
SEA3PO
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navy Yacht Club is located in Fiddlers Cove Marina, about halfway down the west side of San Diego Bay. It's also a RV camping spot for Military, etc. There's no restaurant there, but it's just south of Coronado a couple of miles. Right on the bikepath.

If you can get reciprocals at the Navy Yacht Club, you might want to consider the Southwest YC which is next to Shelter Island. They have a great restaurant/bar there and it's a nice walk to the Pt Loma stores, including Downwind Marine and a bunch of restaurants and coffee shops. Or you can try the San Diego YC.

One problem we have is parking the truck/trailer after we launch. Officially it's daytime use only in all of San Diego Bay, except the Shelter Island launch, where they allow 3 days. No charge, just 3 days. Any help/iinfo would be appreciated.

Boris
'o cino

City/Region: Aviano
State or Province: Other
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDYC and Southwestern YC are quality clubs, and very active. I personally like the less expensive, and totally casual Mission Bay YC. You don't have to schmooze sponsorship, wait forever for the club to "accept" you, and will not be pressured to contribute towards anything. There's wet and dry storage at Carmel Point. Downside is you have to drive through PB traffic, but the membership cost and reciprocity is worth it.
There's a bunch of dry store places within a mile of the water that are also "clubs". Everyone's always looking to share cheap slip space for cruisers.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."
'o cino

City/Region: Aviano
State or Province: Other
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opps, duplicate
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navy Yacht clubs (almost every Navy base has one), are generally in the category of "paper clubs"-- In S. Calif. there are two classes, one the Yacht Racing Union of S. Calif. Which are for the most part facility owning clubs, but the mooring may be in a city owned Marina: for example Seal Beach, Long Beach and Alamitos Bay YC are in the Long Beach Marina--who owns the slips. These all have buildings, leased from the city. Others like New Port Harbor YC, have waterfront facilities on their own land, with control of their slips.

The second group, is S. Calif yacht association, to which the Navy YC belongs, as well as other non property owning clubs, such as Little Ships Fleet, Blue Water Cruising etc (plus the clubs which belong to the above group. ) The level of reciprocity is different, and more limited in the latter group. I have belonged to, and been an officer of both category of these clubs. There are some which only give reciprocity of their remote (like catalina Island) to major clubs from afar (such as Seattle YC, or St. Francis YC). It is complex, and political…

The Navy YCs are a good deal if you are retired military, and want to sail in their local waters. Not all that good if you live afar, and just want reciprocity. There are also "non resident" memberships, of the major YC-where you live afar, but are a member, with limited privileges. The major land owning clubs do rather intensive investigations and have a selection committee. Generally they want people with boats in their area, who will contribute to their programs, including food and drink minimums per quarter etc.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to look into this. I looked into joining SBYC but their prices are ridiculous and the perks are minimal. Also many of the members remind me of Mr. Howell from Gilligan’s Island, if Mr. Howell had delusional fantasies of being Ernest Hemingway.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surprise! santa barbara isn't a reciprocating yacht club!
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmetzenberg wrote:
surprise! santa barbara isn't a reciprocating yacht club!

No surprise there. The only time we are reciprocated at SBYC is when we have the Tequila Race from Channel Islands Harbor to Santa Barbara, where we finish at SBYC and use their end tie for the weekend.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: