View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Freedom Pop Internet Reply with quote

I just started with Freedom POP an internet provider. They feature 10 gigs of data for 21.95 a month. You pay for the device 89.00 dollars plus 9.99 shipping. The nice thing is you can go to the site and instantly see your data usage via bar graph. The Freedom Burst size actual 9.5" x 6"x 3/4" is connected to your device via Ethernet cable. But I also bought ZyXEL MMR102 router for 24.95 that I plug the Ethernet cable into giving me and my wife both wireless internet access. The router is also handy when you are staying in a motel and you just plug it on to the motel's furnished Ethernet cable and you have your own wifi with out any extra charges. You need to see if your area has coverage. I plan to use this on the boat while in Florida in February as the keys seem to have excellent coverage. I previously had a unlimited data with Verizon but the switch to 4G killed that. I also used to have a Sprint hotspot for $50.00 a dollars a month for 5 gigs but seemed to run over. I think something's different about the way Sprint figures data usage. I had to let those people go. This works out to be a lot less per month and the service is 4g pretty fast, faster than a hotspot. I might go with a AT&T hotspot with a small data plan if the above setup has a problem working in the truck for when we are traveling. Both the router and the Freedom Burst require 120 volts. We use a 400 watt inverter plugged into cigarette style 12vdc outlet in both the truck and the boat coupled with a six way power surge for the 120 volt power. Just an FYI I have no financial interest in the company. Check them out for coverage and info at WWW.freedompop.com
D.D.

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi

FreedomPop offers its factory-refurbished FreedomSpot MiFi 4082 Wireless Hotspot bundled with a combined 2.5GB 4G/3G Data Plan 1-Month Trial (2GB plan + 500MB plan) for $29.99 with free shipping. That's tied with its Black Friday deal and still $10 less than the best price we could find for a plan with only 500GB of data. It features a battery life of up to six hours. A 90-day FreedomPop warranty applies.

Note: After the trial ends you can continue with the 2GB plan for $19.99 per month or switch to a free 500MB month-to-month plan.

http://dealnews.com/b41535/Freedom-Pop/

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked into this plan, but the first thing I usually check is whose network they're using. Do you know?

(For me, since I like to use it when traveling, Verizon has the best overall coverage, followed by AT &T; and Sprint and T-Mobile are not so great.)

While we're on the subject: My previous phone (Virgin) used the Sprint network, and coverage was pretty good near interstate highways or large cities, but sadly lacking in other places. So a lot depends on where you use it, and/or if you vary your locations a lot.

My data world was shaken up when Verizon closed down Millenicom, a major MVNO who were re-selling their data for many years. They were just perfect for my uses! Side bonus for Verizon is that it works on Powell (as long as Navajo Mountain is relatively in view).

I ended up going direct to Verizon, but since then Straight Talk has come up with a Verizon data plan. It's not cheap if you use a lot of data, but on the other hand they have plans that you can stretch over 60 days, not 30, which could be handy.

Always good to hear about new options - it's practically impossible to keep up on one's own. I'm keeping my eye out for a Verizon MVNO/data plan.

Sunbeam
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of your devices' settings when using these kinds of plans with WiFi routers.

There are settings on your devices (laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc.) that allow them to download full updates to all of your apps (and even Windows!) --------- "when connected to WiFi".

When you use a router, the device does not know the difference between WiFi and WiFi-over-cellular and can blow through you 5 or 10 gig allowance in VERY short order.

Just make sure to turn off these settings when connecting these devices to your cellular-based WiFi.

Don't ask me how I know....... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
BrentB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe FP runs on the Sprint grid and they were planning to buy them in 2013 but have not confirmed the purchase
Will-C

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Freedom Pop Internet Reply with quote

I have been using our Freedom POP at my work location to avoid using the company's internet to have the freedom from the I.T.'s department eyes, limited access. Plus my Sprint hotspot was 50 dollars a month for 6 gigs of data. I do updates for Coastal Explorer maps and my computer at home which is not affected by updated by data updates etc.
I agree that Verizon has the best network for travelers. But ten gigs of data from Verizon is not cost effective for us anyway. Both my work location and the keys are shown to have excellent coverage. So we shall see how well this works as a mobile unit as described above. Either way it is half of the hot spot's monthly charge with almost twice the data.
D.D.
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of your devices' settings when using these kinds of plans with WiFi routers.

There are settings on your devices (laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc.) that allow them to download full updates to all of your apps (and even Windows!) --------- "when connected to WiFi".

When you use a router, the device does not know the difference between WiFi and WiFi-over-cellular and can blow through you 5 or 10 gig allowance in VERY short order.

Just make sure to turn off these settings when connecting these devices to your cellular-based WiFi.

Don't ask me how I know....... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know it uses the Sprint network. And agreed that Sprint can work just fine - so much of it is individual situation/location dependent.
BrentB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one and use it in Charlotte County Florida

We dropped DSlL which was expensive esp when not being used

I receive 4G signal and it works fine, and bought a paid plan then down grade to free account when we leave. I paid $30 for modem.
BrentB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were over billing our account and I filed a charge back.
The account is cancelled and purchased a Verizon Jetpack
Will-C

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Freedom Pop Internet Reply with quote

Freedom Pop started out ok for me as a separate personal network at work while I moved closer to retirement. But then they raised prices and changed billing cycles. Customer service left a lot to be desired. I pulled the plug on these people and apologize for even suggesting these folks were a viable option. We moved to using a Verizon Jetpack that provides excellent coverage so far in the eastern part of the U.S.A. Next year we hope to run from Chicago to Mobile. We shall see how the jetpack does on that trip.
D.D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: