The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Masthead/anchor light replacement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol & Bob Larsen

City/Region: Mattapoisett
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Carol Lani
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Masthead/anchor light replacement? Reply with quote

The masthead/anchor light and pole on my 1997 C22 needs to be replaced. I can't find any manufacturer's info on the assembly. Does anyone know of a direct, 3-wire replacement???

Bob
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them were Perko. The 3 wire suggests that there are two lights--one aft and one forward. That is not necessary for most C Dorys, since an all around light works as the steaming light and stern light--however, some of that vintage boats did have a real stern light (mine was on the aft cabin house), and thus did the forward steaming light, and then both bulbs for the anchor light.

This might be a good time to switch to an all around LED anchor light/steaming light, and fi you have the aft anchor light--ditch that, or better yet, make it a cockpit light.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If yours is the one I have seen most typically on 22's, it is the Perko Figure 1209, which you can see here:

http://perko.com/catalog/category/navigation_lights_under_20_meters/product/133/

That's not to say it is the only possibility, but just the one I have seen most as original equipment on 22's. It is the type where the all around feature is used for both the steaming/stern light (along with the bi-color sidelights), and the anchor light. Jumper wires on the helm switches (OEM) make it work this way.

Carol & Bob Larsen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Perko 1209 Reply Reply with quote

the Perko 1209 appears to be a single bulb light. I checked their website and there is no info on the wiring. The top of mine has a split top with a bulb in the front and one in the back section. The glass covers are also spilt into two pieces. The body to the light is elliptical to accommodate the two bulb set up. Any thoughts?

Bob
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the 1209 is a two wire unit.... I replaced mine with another with a much longer shaft.... I needed it to clear my radar dome so it could be seen from astern.... I bought the new unit off EBAY for under $20.. I plan on converting it to LED bulb this winter....

Joel
SEA3PO
Carol & Bob Larsen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Alternate Mast light? Reply with quote

I've been looking at an Attwood LED Anchor/Masthead (3-wire) 5000 series unit. However, the Attwood web site and West Marine are a bit vague on what you get. I can't figure out whether it is sold with the base or the base is sold separately. The Attwood site says," All units come equipped with a durable folding base..." Attwood # 5557-12A7 should be the 12" high unit. They supposedly only draw 0.15A

Bob
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Attwood # 5557-12A7 is a two pin/wire unit. These are fold down--and do not fit the Perko Base.

The Perko 1236 Series is an incandescent bulb, and should fit your current base with 3 wires.

The Atwood # 7812-7 is 3 wire--if you want/need this. /Being LED is uses much less power.

Quote:

the light has three wires. One ground wire, one wire for the running light (the front two sections of the light that lights up 235 degrees to the front of the boat as required as a running light). The other wire wire will light up all three sections (the two front sections and the back section of the light for 360 deg…
3-Mile LED Anchor/Masthead Light - 12V - 12"

All lights come equipped with a durable folding base cast from Attwood's blend of enhanced 316 stainless steel alloy. For use on boats up to 65.6 ft. (20 meters)

You need to decide if you want /need the two sector navigation light--you really don't unless you have a separate stern light on the aft cabin bulkhead.
Carol & Bob Larsen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Attwood light Reply with quote

Thank you for correcting the part number. Yes I have the separate stern light on the back of my cabin roof. It is wired to a separate switch from the nav. lights.
Bob
Carol & Bob Larsen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Attwood 7812-7 Reply with quote

I've decided to buy the Attwood unit. BTW: Amazon's price ($66.00) is cheaper than West Marine's ($120.00). Not sure why anyone would bother buying anything at WM anymore....
Thank you for al of your replies/help.
Bob
Mark G

City/Region: Cayman Kai, Grand Cayman KY
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am SO glad I found this post. I have an older 22 ft and the manufacturer no longer has the build records so I've been struggling to identify the components when I need to replace them. All the interior and exterior lights and most of the fittings are Pergo so I am one happy camper!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: