The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Shore Power Inlet Plug Fire Hazard: Marinco vs. SmartPlug
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
colbysmith wrote:
I think if Smart Plug wants their plug to become standard required equipment, then they need to be open to competition on the manufacturing of such a plug.

Ye, but that's about as probable as a drug company giving up its rights to the patent on a new miracle drug!

Money trumps public interest, health, and safety.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Probably not an example I would use

for example Eli Lily has 63 compounds in their pipeline and only a few will make it to market. From a reliable source I was told face to face it costs $500 million and up to bring a new drug to market. That is the upfront cost before they make a penny on it and patent life is short too (and they try to find many other uses for it and gain FDA approval) before it goes generic. Investment in research costs alot and no guarantees either. In the US, regulations and low insurance reimbursements hurts the industry and without research investment, where will the next miracle drug to be invented.? Most likey overseas! I watched for years for an universal flu vaccine and it will come one day along with a low cost and effective malaria vaccine. Malaria is not an US problem but globally it is major health problem. LIlly gave Purdue their entire production setup to make malaria and tuberculosis compounds for free!. If sold would be worth millions, THe media is biased to pharmaceutical companies too making it sounds like it drives health costs higher but facts are clear that only a certain % of people seeking medical care receive a prescription drug. Health costs drivers are insurance payments for medical care is not standardized, medical imaging, etc, etc The costs charged by health care providers varies alot

sorry for the rant

Long time Eli Lilly investor and stock owner and my wife, worked at Lilly for 30 years and went from lab tech to manager with 80 direct reports, a slew of contractors and $75 million annual budget and when she retired it costs a bunch to surgically remove the pager, cell phone, desktop and laptop.
What a career and was given Employee of Year, an award usually given to research scientists who discover new compounds and executive management who unique skills help the company look 15 years in the future and was ready when that day arrived

whew I am on it

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say Smart Plug does stand behind their product. Here is the reply I got back from them regarding my question about the thermal trip. I also managed to strip out the screws installing the plug, and they are covering that under warranty.

"Yes our boat side 30 amp inlet does have a bi-metal trip embedded in the back which shuts off power to the boat should it heat up to approximately 200 degrees Fahrenheit. It returns power to the boat automatically when the inlet cools back down to about 120 degrees.

Please provide me with your shipping information and I will assist you to obtain a replacement connector housing at no charge under our warranty program."
Gilbertsons

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Bit
Photos: Little Bit
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following this discussion about the Smart Plug vs. Marinco type shorepower boat inlets. What has naturally followed is a discussion regarding 30 amp setups vs. those who use 15 amps.

I have a related safety question (keep in mind I do not have strong electrical knowledge).

It sounds like most folks who have 15 amp (typically C-Dory 22 setup's) are connecting to 30 amp marina shore power pedestal with adaptors (e.g. 30 amp locking male Marinco type to 15 amp female ) and then running extension cords to their boat inlet (As Bob mentioned some use " boat side recessed male plug which is designed for bass boats and battery chargers).

I'm assuming these adaptors are not converting 30 amp to 15 amp. If the power requirements are small as many have stated, like a low wattage electric heater, battery charger, charging cell phones, etc., basically totalling less than 15 amps current ....... that this is safe.

My question is........ As long as you do not draw over 15 amps it is safe? However, if someone was putting a lot larger load on the circuit like microwaves, Air conditioning, etc......then you could have overloading that could cause safety issues, fires, etc.......right?
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it. All about the draw and 30amps on a cord rated for 13-15 would be trouble after a short time.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Gilbertsons

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think I have it.....but more details on my boat... and yet another question.

I have a small AC Panel with a single switch (Blue Sea Systems PN 8077) that is wired to the basic boat inlet plug (15amp). I believe the PN 8007 is rated for 30 amps (at least I see that it is made up with (2) 15 amp breakers).

Does this mean that when I turn on the switch to the AC panel I have only opened the 30amp circuit coming from the 30amp shore power pedestal? As long as I am not drawing over 15amps.......my inlet, wiring, etc is safe. Right?

Don't know how many other 22's have a simple AC panel like mine.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site: https://www.bluesea.com/products/8077/AC_Main_30A shows p/n 8077 to be rated at 30 amps. If you only have a 15 amp inlet, then the system really isn't completely safe if you were to ever draw more than 15 amps thru it. Also what size wiring is used? Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A side note or explanation about the double or two pole breakers. For those that may not realize it, unlike a house electrical system, the main breaker on your boat should cut off both the positive (black) and neutral (white) wire. This is necessary in case of reversed polarity. I believe in a 30 amp system, both breakers in that two pole unit need to each be rated at 30 amps. If both breakers are only rated to 15 amps, then that is all that they should allow to flow through them. If you are drawing any less amperage than what your system is rated for, then you are safe. However, if you have 30 amp breakers, but the wiring or connectors in between are only rated at 15 amps, you could end up overloading those items.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing you need to check is that the wiring inside the boat is also 30amps. Just because there is a 30amp plug on the boat does not mean that the wires to the breakers can handle it.

Granted, it should be correct. But since the shore power option is often put in after the boat manufacture by a third party, the internal wiring may only be for common 15 amp outlets.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice West Marine has the appropriate connectors, but seems also to carry standard exterior outdoor extension cords in the 25 and 50 foot sizes to go from those GFI and other higher tech connections. Comments?
Gilbertsons

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did talk with Blue Sea Systems tech support and the P/N 8077 is what they said is fine for full 30 amp service. What I am going to do is upgrade the wiring to 10 gauge 3 conductor marine tinned at their recommendation. They said all I would have to do to make a complete 30 amps system would be to upgrade to a 30 amp boat inlet.

However this gets us back to the start of the thread (Marinco vs SmartPlug). When I considered new shore power cords, adaptors for generator hookup, AND..... while I'm at it ...... maybe the new SmartPlug system... I was getting up to the $350 range.

I do not see in the near future that I have will ever need to draw over 15amps, and it sounds like from this thread that it is safe as long at adhere to that.

So I'm going to wait to spend the bucks. It's amazing to me how I can start following one of these threads and then all sudden I'm diving down a path to continually opening the wallet Very Happy
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I upgraded my system, I have a 50' Marinco shorepower cord and boat inlet available for sale.... $50 plus shipping. 30 amp. If you are interested. They all looked to be in great shape when I pulled them off the boat. I realize it's not the new smart plug system (that I upgraded to), but it's also well under the price a new system will cost. Smile Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question one must ask if he owns a C Dory 22: will I ever use more than 15 amps at a time? No water heater, no microwave. You can run a 1200 watt space heater, or a 1200 watt hair dryer--but not both at the same time. There are very few instances where a 22 will use more than 15 amps.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Bob. In retrospect, I probably should have just left well enuf alone with my boat. Rolling Eyes My Marinco connections were in good shape, and well maintained. This all started because I wanted to decrease the size of my cords and make life a little simpler. Instead I ended up with pretty much the same mess of cords and connectors. Sad That's why I recommend for anyone that doesn't already have shore power, and just wants to run their battery charger, with maybe one outlet, go the 15 amp route. I mean, if one 15 amp home circuit is good enough for one bathroom and bedroom, or for one's garage, it should be good enuf for the CD-22! Smile Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disregard the Marinco inlet connector for sale....but I still have the 50' 30A cord if anyone wants to part with $40. (+ shipping). Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disregard the power cord now too. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: