The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Shore Power Inlet Plug Fire Hazard: Marinco vs. SmartPlug
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used "extension cords" in several small boats I have owned. There are some potential safety issues, and if the cord has a GFCI, then it is far safer. The current boat came with an extension cord and two cheap automotive trickle chargers. I pulled that out, and put in a very simple 15 amp system. There are two plugs (The entire circuit is GFCII protected)--one outboard and aft of the helm seat, and one at the foreword edge of the aft dinette seat. Three conductor vinyl sheathed Marine grade tinned wiring was used. I choose a 15 amp fuse/on/off switch designed for a heavy duty outdoor motor, rather than the fancy marine panel. I hard wired a MasterVolt 3 bank battery charger to this switch. The input is a Marinco 15 amp connection, which is in the outboard aft bulkhead under the gunnel. I use a 12 gauge wire heavy duty extension cord--a bit overkill.

If you want to run an extension cord for occasional use with a small heater, appliance or drill, then that works. But use a heavy cord and GFCI You can thread the cord thru the aft bulkhead by the galley, where the controls run. But I would prefer to have a proper inlet, some fuse or breaker protection, assurance that the cord would not be in the water, and a on/ off switch. if the cord is left on the boat for length of any time. Many outdoor extension cords are undersized for a full 15 amp circuit if you choose to use that and run a 50 foot cord.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "heavy" part is in the weight and size of the cords and connectors. In the end, and mostly for the reasons Will C discussed, I ended up installing the new Smart Plug system I bought. 30 amps is more than I will ever need, but since the system was already installed, which included some outlets, and I made the purchase of the new stuff, I went with it. That being said, if I did not have shore power already installed, and wanted to be able to power a battery charger and maybe one outlet, I would just go with the 15 amp service thru the hull connector. Unless one plans to use air conditioning, microwave, coffee pots, etc., 30 amp really is overkill on a CD-22. Colby
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Shore Power Inlet Plug Fire Hazard: Marinco vs. SmartPlug Reply with quote

I think typically breakers and electrical ratings are based on 75% of the expected amp draw. The way I envision it on a boat the 30 amps is like a 200 amp service coming into a house which is covered by the main breaker, then the individual items get covered by the smaller individual breakers with the smaller amp rating and wire size for each device. If you don't need shore power than you don't need shore power. My thoughts are to present the best advice in my opinion. For us which might be a different situation than most our boat is always plugged into shore power unless we are on the water or anchored. Since the examples show pictures of electrical fires caused in the area of the power inlet receptacle on boats the added insurance of a thermal breaker which opens the circuit I think is if nothing else a good reason to install a Smart Plug no matter what your amperage draw might be.
D.D.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part about the thermal breaker has me wondering. I have looked at my new smart plug, male and female connectors, and read thru all the packaging and papers that came with it. I do not see any thermal breaker molded in or otherwise part of my Smart Plug system I have, not in the connector set, nor in the cord. It does speak of less heat generated because of more contact space. I'm wondering if you have a higher end plug that comes with thermal protection. Just as the female end that came with the connector set I purchased, did not have a light indicating power available, however the power cord I also purchased, did have the indicator light. To be quite honest, other than the contact space, I didn't see any difference in my original Marinco or this new Smart Plug. Well, except the boat recepticle is heavier with the Stainless Steel cap and base plate, as opposed to the all plastic of the Marinco. In fact, all the connectors from the old system were in very good shape with no indication of shorting or corrosion. Which reminds me, I now have a 50 foot Marinco 30 A cord for sale, $40, and a Marinco 30a Recepticle (boat mount) for $10. Any takers? Colby P.s. Buyer pays shipping.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several comments: I agree with Dave 100% if the boat is going to be left plugged in. The thermal breaker is definitely an excellent addition. Also if there is going to be any current draw on peripheral sockets, a separate breaker for each circuit is necessary. (Often the peripheral circuits add up to more than the total input to the boat. For example C Dory factory wiring has a 30 amp main breaker, 15 amps on the several 15 amp plug in sockets, 15 amps for the water heater, 5 amp for the refrigerator, 5 amps for the battery charger (and in the case of the Tom Cat, I put in a separate 15 amp circuit for the microwave)

There is an interesting article, on the Smart plug site from a person who writes the ABYC standards:

http://www.smartplug.com/press_releases/Smart_Plug_Plea_Ed_Sherman_Editorial.pdf

He points out that one other main issue is with the shore power pedestal connectors--no thermal protection, and often are burned, with increased resistance etc:…
Quote:
The ABYC Standards essentially end their coverage at the dockside end of a shore power cord; from there, the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) takes over. NFPA also writes the standards that make up the National Electric Code…….
The final hurdle to getting total compliance acceptance here in North America appears to be getting the NFPA and another group, the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) to sign off on this product. ….. NEMA has told Smart Plug they would consider accepting the new design if the company would be willing to give up its patent rights for the design.

If the smart plug is accepted by NEMA, and the code is changed to allow Smart plugs in the marina pedestals, then many smaller marinas may be caught having to rewire the marinas, with smart plugs (high cost, will meet resistance from Marina Owners--and boaters will still have to have the Hubbel type to Smart plug adaptors…

One other clarification: Dave talks of 20 amp connectors.

Below 20 amp plug:

Although I carry a 20 amp to 15 amp adaptor, it is rare to see a pure 20 amp plug--and I suspect that many of the combination plugs (on the right)
are only wired for 15 amps.

Although it is uncommon to see appliances or extension cords with 20 amp configuration--they do exist.

There are other 20 amp marina plugs, and we carry adaptors for those:

This looks identical to a 30 amp plug, but is of a smaller radius, and the 30 amp plug can be forced into the 20 amp socket by bending the prongs inward--a very bad idea.. or the 20 amp plug into a 30 amp socket an even worse idea.

For the boat in RV parks we carry this inexpensive and simple 30 amp to 15 amp adaptor:

Important bottom line is to be safe!
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Shore Power Inlet Plug Fire Hazard: Marinco vs. SmartPlug Reply with quote

I believe the thermal breaker is built into the boat socket part.
D.D.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent a msg to Smart Plug asking them about that Thermal Overload Protection. I also see it stated on one of their web page diagrams, but again did not see any apparent device when I installed the recepticle, nor is there any mention of it on the packaging materials. Bob, I do have the original factory installed shore power. It includes the main 30 amp double breaker (which allows both the neutral and the positive wires to be shut off) and three additional smaller breakers. One for my Battery Charger, one for the two outlets (1 under the dinette seat and one by the stove), and a unused spare. For my use, if I had not already had the 30 amp shore power service, 15 amps would have more than sufficed. Colby P.s. BTW Bob, yeah I have all kind of adapters also. Some I made, some I bought. Think I'm pretty well covered in that department! Smile
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only available power near our boat at the Victoria BC gathering this summer was 20amp with the smaller twist connector. We do not carry that converter currently and just went without power for two nights. Didn't really matter to us then but I will find myself one before the spring.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one adapter I do not have either. I wonder if that is a Canadian thing. I've never seen that style plug anywhere else before.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby-

From my observations, the 20-amp twist-lock connectors are most commonly used around here (Northern California) by contractors on job sites.
I think they like the "stay connected"/no pull-apart, feature.

The prevalence of the use of one type or another probably varies by region, type of domestic, commercial, or industrial use, and by state regulations.

My guess, anyway!

I bought one of those large plastic milk carton containers full of different adapters from a retiring RV'er about 10 years ago.
Great buy, but I've never used, or even seen, some of the types of plugs in the container on a wall or pedestal anywhere.
But, following the motto, "Be Prepared" I'm still waiting! Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen dock power in BC Canada that uses the 20 amp twist lock but supplies only 15amps. I think this is to have a 'locking' plug on a 15 amp circuit.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct that the some Canadian Marinas have the 20 amp twist lock. I have also seen it in a few East Coast Marinas. I don't remember about marinas in N. Calif.

If you think the US is bad--try Europe (Australia and NZ and Asia also share many of these voltages, and also different plugs)--not only do they have entirely different power--including 50 hz, 230 volts, often 3 phase. There are also many different "plugs and sockets" We found out that the best way to deal with that, is to carry a pigtail which fit our 30 amp twist lock female fitting, and then put the adaptor for the local marine supply or hardware store onto this pigtail. I think we had over a dozen adapters when we were through. Also you had to understand the power and measure voltages, before connection and then at the female plug to be sure you had it correct. We also carried a 4KW transformer To convert 230 volts to 115 volts, which works for the battery charger and resistive heating loads. everything else was run off an inverter or by running the generator.
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Quote:
….. NEMA has told Smart Plug they would consider accepting the new design if the company would be willing to give up its patent rights for the design.

Important bottom line is to be safe!

I agree. But, apparently - like most manufacturer's associations - NEMA doesn't. They care more about the financial security of its members than the safety of boaters. Rolling Eyes

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if Smart Plug wants their plug to become standard required equipment, then they need to be open to competition on the manufacturing of such a plug.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I think if Smart Plug wants their plug to become standard required equipment, then they need to be open to competition on the manufacturing of such a plug.

Ye, but that's about as probable as a drug company giving up its rights to the patent on a new miracle drug!

Money trumps public interest, health, and safety.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: