The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Shore Power Inlet Plug Fire Hazard: Marinco vs. SmartPlug
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob. The wire looks like basic house wiring, but the print on it shows it is boat wire, 12 awg. Since it is "boat" spec'd, I'm thinking it is probably tinned and all. Again this is the wire that comes in from the back side of the Marinco male end in the cabin wall, and runs about 3 feet to the main boat shorepower system breaker. I'm pretty sure the Marinco cord uses 10 gauge wire, which is what I thought was required for 30 amps. But wondering if being such a short length, 12 gauge is acceptable. I'm assuming this was put in at the factory, otherwise the selling dealer. If the 12 gauge is fine, great. If not, then I should probably replace it with 10 gauge when I install the new smart plug receptacle.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we had a discussion of this type of subject a few months ago. You want the entire circuit carring that 30 amp max load to be the 10 gauge. After the main breaker, is a different story. I would also be sure that the new inlet be 10 gauge; there may be times when you have to run the total lengh at 50 + feet.

Don't assume that all "marine wire" is tinned. I had one entire boat I rewired, which had non tinned wire. AWG vs SAE is also an issue, with the thickness of strands of wire. ABYC does not require tinned wire. There are any number of smaller cheaper boats which do not use tinned wire.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a simple adapter to go from 30amp connections to our 15amp cord to the boat. That is the normal configuration for us so we have a couple wraps of rescue tape on the adapter to cord interface to keep them together and keep moisture out. Just hope you didn't go 30amp because of the dock connections only.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, that was one concern, dock connections that is. But a big factor was just looking at resale, if that were to ever happen! Smile The boat came with shore power, so as much as I hate spending the money, I'm just looking at this event as an upgrade. Kind of an expensive way to make using shore power less of a hassle (as I see it with 50' of bulky cord...) as I probably could have accomplished the same thing by just getting a shorter Marinco cord and leaving well enuf alone. But I do see advantages of switching to the Smart Plug system. Bob, I agree with you. I will replace that 12 gauge with 10 gauge when I put the new connector in. Hopefully my local West Marine sells it by the foot, and what they have is tinned! Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now that I have all the new parts, I've got to say this Smart Plug system actually seems beefier than the old system. And when I consider how I use shore power the 30 amp setup really is overkill. There is a part of me that says this will be a good system. But the simpler part of me, using my boat a/c electrics in very simple ways, wishes I would have just pulled the old system out and replaced it with the 15amp connector, and heavy duty cold weather extension cord...
Confused Colby
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Wefings is now a Smartplug distibutor . So if you want to support the folks that support this site , give us a shot at the business . Yes we will price match !
Marc

Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that if you go "boater homing" and stay in RV parks you will need RV adapters.

Since I don't have much draw but LED lights, the fridge and the battery charger, I converted to a normal 15 amp plug and have a 50 foot medium duty (14 gage) extension cord and then a bunch of adapters for various power outlets = marine "round" and RV types go on the far "power pedestal end of the cord. One of my best choices was to get a extension cord with a "power-present" lite that shows when you have power, as it seems half the power pedestals have been turned off, don't work or have some problem. Several times I've needed the full 50 feet and one time went without power when the only working power pedestal was about 75 feet away.

Chuck

colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have various "adapters" I've purchased or made, so no problem there. Even kept an old GFCI adapter from when I use to have a motorhome and did a lot of staying in campgrounds. The Smart Plug does appear to be an improvement on the old Marinco style setup. But really, how many of us need 30 amp service on our 22' C-dory's? I think in the long run, it probably would have been cheaper for me to have changed out the main breaker in my shore power system, and just gone down to 15 or 20 amps. Unless one is going to run several high amperage drawing items at the same time, 15 amps really is enough. I guess the main reason I stayed with the 30 amp system that was already on the boat, was due to most marinas having that as a minimum. It's rare to even find a standard 15 amp outlet anymore in the marinas. In fact, I may still return it all (or sale it for cheap here) and convert to 15 amp service. This is probably one purchase I should have sat on a little longer.... Sad
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Shore Power Inlet Plug Fire Hazard: Marinco vs. SmartPlug Reply with quote

My thinking would be not to downgrade any of the standard boat systems if you ever intend to sell your boat. I'm thinking if I was looking at two similar boats and one had the standard 30 amp setup and the other had a non marine 15 amp shore power setup I would wonder where other corners might have been cut that might not be visible. The other issue is if you ever had an electrical fire (God forbid)what would the insurance company have to say about non marine type electrical devices. It's only money. That's just me. JMHO.
D.D.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know...that was the thought that had me replacing the Marinco with the Smart Plug in the first place. But still a PITA to deal with considering the only thing I use electricity for is the battery charger, and on occasion a small portable electric heater. Items that easily fall under 15 amps, even when both used at the same time!
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Shore Power Inlet Plug Fire Hazard: Marinco vs. SmartPlu Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
My thinking would be not to downgrade any of the standard boat systems if you ever intend to sell your boat. I'm thinking if I was looking at two similar boats and one had the standard 30 amp setup and the other had a non marine 15 amp shore power setup I would wonder where other corners might have been cut that might not be visible.

I hear you, and yet I think for me the smaller "system" (using the smaller marine connector as others have done) would make more sense, be lighter, and more compact. I would look around the (theoretical) boat and if everything else was done properly, presume (or ask) that the current owner had done the small system for the same reasons. If other things were done in a slipshod manner, then I would pass on the boat anyway.

Actually my boat had no shore power when I found it, and to me that was a plus because I planned either no system (what I have now) or 15 amp trolling motor inlet type system as has been described here. That's what happens to fit my use. If I go to sell my boat I'll explain why and how I have done things to any potential buyer. My guess is that if the overall boat shows quality work, and I have it documented and priced reasonably, it will sell.

Just another theoretical buyer point of view.
Will-C

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Shore Power Inlet Plug Fire Hazard: Marinco vs. SmartPlug Reply with quote

This is not my cross to bear. I'm just looking at a forum and posting my thoughts. I'm thinking the Marina's I go to only have the standard 30 amp or 50 amp plug receptacles available at the power pedestals. Maybe a perspective buyer won't notice. But, no matter it's not my boat so what ever floats your boat is fine with me. I did mine myself it did not seem to be all that big of a deal. Our boat came equipped with a 30 amp plug so I figure they must know something. We carry a adapter for 20 amp which what we normally use in an RV park but still coupled to our standard 30 amp cord.
D.D.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Shore Power Inlet Plug Fire Hazard: Marinco vs. SmartPlu Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
I'm just looking at a forum and posting my thoughts.

Understood. That's what the forum is for.

Will-C wrote:
Maybe a perspective buyer won't notice. But, no matter it's not my boat so what ever floats your boat is fine with me.

Well any prospective buyer of my boat won't need to "not notice," as I will be explaining all of the systems and why I have chosen specific types. There will be no attempt (nor need) to conceal anything, or hope something goes "unnoticed."

Will-C wrote:
I did mine myself it did not seem to be all that big of a deal. Our boat came equipped with a 30 amp plug so I figure they must know something.

I agree. I have a similar system in my RV (that I upgraded/installed) and it is not difficult to do. The reason I'm not choosing that for my C-Dory is that it is a small, light boat, and I don't use shorepower in that way. The cordset and etc. for the large system are weight and bulk I do not want or need. It's not because of it being difficult or expensive.

Maybe I am misreading, but it seems that you are casting it in a "quality vs. slipshod" light, with overtones of "but maybe a buyer won't notice." To me, on my boat, those are not the reasons for the various choices. It's more about weight/bulk/usage. Anyone who buys my boat (at such time as I decide to sell it) will have all the facts and will either be happy with the boat and buy it, or not and buy something else. Someone who wants a full/heavy/bulky shorepower system would either want to buy another boat, or add that system to my boat (as you said, not difficult). Someone who is more like me and is not a regular/heavy/at all shorepower user, would probably be happy with my boat as is (no shorepower at all - can't be dangerous Very Happy), or a smaller system (what I will likely install if I decide to add anything at all). So far I haven't even noticed that my boat doesn't have shorepower (that's because I don't use it), so I may not add anything at all. Lightest option Very Happy

We all use our boats in different ways, so different systems (or no system at all) may be appropriate. As long as things are done well, I think there can be a number of good options for various boats/boater styles.

Sunbeam

My bias is to do things for my usage (doing whatever I do properly and neatly), and to figure that there will likely be a buyer/buyers who feel the same way. Thus I don't tend to orient my boat/systems for "re-sale." I do a proper job for myself though, so it's not about that, but more about choices. Others may choose to plan more directly for re-sale, possibly with a specific theoretical buyer in mind.
Will-C

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Shore Power Inlet Plug Fire Hazard: Marinco vs. SmartPlug Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'm getting the heavy part of a shore power system. A breaker panel a couple GFI outlets a battery charger and a shore power inlet socket. Neutral I mean how much could that weigh? In looking at Defender's catalog I don't notice any 20 amp cords just some 20 amp adapters. I'm not making the call that anything is slip shod. I'm just stating 30 amp seems to be a standard in the marine Industry. If someone wants to install a two amp setup have at it. So no matter how you use your boat if you are going to install a shore power setup my opinion won't change. I say the 30 amp plug is the standard in the industry.
D.D.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am about to close on a boat, and it does not have shore power, and for the most part I do not need it. But can I have an integrated extension cord with appropriate connecting plugs and GFI. One 15 amp would be OK, so would a cord with two 15 amp plugs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: