View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Active Captain Big Bend Rally Reply with quote

In today's "Active Captain News Letter", Jeff Siegel seems to be getting serious about the "Big Bend Rally". As I understand it, he is planing at flotilla from St. Petersburg FL to Panama City FL--a distance of about 225 NM. This is with the range of the 22' C Dory on up, especially if done at displacement speed.

Jeff notes that over 1200 boats have expressed interest. I did send Jeff a personal e-mail, with some of my concerns--especially with such a large number of boats (if that is even realistic) . It is not clear what time of the year, he is envisioning this--but it seems as if it was perhaps Feb. This is still in the time of Northers, and again one of my concerns. Even 70 footers get kicked around a lot during those conditions.

He is enlisting the St Petersburg YC (and apparently some other clubs. It seems as if there will be learning sessions also--not sure what facilities he has at hand.

But it sure would be a hoot if 100 C Dory's showed up for this adventure!
Our list (if accurate) shows about 207 C Dory's in Florida alone.

I am not proposing this as an Event or gathering--but letting those who are interested in making an over night passage be aware of this opportunity. Jeff talks about support and tow boats, etc. Have to see how it evolves. Again, I have my reservations!

Any one interested? We might be…under the right circumstances. Might evn make it a round trip--start in Pensacola to Apalachicola, do the waters of the Big Bend, down to St. Pete, and then come back with the flotilla. Probably a couple of week trip--moving a few miles eery day.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Jeff's Active Captain post too! We might just be interested in this, but it has to be the right time of year! This February we will be in our fiver in Arizona! But a couple weeks in Florida is something Patty and I really want to do!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, How about leading it after the Apalachicola gathering, which would be a good kick off. The "Loopers" cut across and miss most of the big bend country to miss the shallow water. They make a longer passage than is possible with the range of our boats. Also, I've found that "tagging along" with the bigger boats often does not give us the best experience.

Instead plan on at least 3 stops as C-dorys can go many places the big boats can't. Isn't there a river with Manatees we could explore? The issue might be weather, but "cain" season should be over. It should still be warm enough for shorts and not too many northerners yet.

Chuck

Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shallow water is right and lots of unmarked obstacles. Be very careful. I have a chunk of skeg missing and I know a couple of outboard mechanics who readily admit 80% of their work is lower unit repair. Lots of rock up there unlike our sand/mud here.

Last edited by Molly Brown on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, for a river with manatees, where you can see manatees by the hundreds and a myriad assortment of other wildlife, with the added benefit of waters that are rarely ever too rough no matter what the weather is, check out the St.John's River in central Florida anytime of year. We have a gathering there in late February but I venture you are liable to run into a C-Brat just about any time of year. The one caveat would be that the river would be much higher in October than in February but that is not a problem for a boat. We like the lower water level for the ability to find and access firm land for walkabouts with the dogs.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of C Dorys have made the crossing from Apalachicola to Tarpon Springs--and this could be form Carabelle to Cedar Key, or other similar trips. The only one I have followed closely was Roger Rockwell on C Lover.
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=15380&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
-who is dong the "Super Loop" in his C Dory in segments. So far he has done from Mexican Border/Brownsville to St. Augustine FL. (that I know of).

The 225 mile trip Panama City to St. Pete (& visa versa), is do-able at displacement speeds, and carrying at least 5 to 10 gallons of extra fuel. The range of a 22 at 5 knots should be about 250 nautical miles. I would want to do some exact calculations after running measured course at that speed with the boat loaded, to be sure to have enough fuel, with a 20% reserve.

The full super loop will be starting at Brownsville, then along the Gulf Coast ICW, around the keys, and then up the East Coast. Instead of cutting through the New York canals he is going all the way up the East Coast crossing the Bay of Fundy going around Nova Scotia and then down the Saint Lawrence Seaway to the Great Lakes and the inland rivers. This is about 8,000 miles, instead of the 6,000 miles of the "Great Loop".

I haven't talked to Roger recently, but his father had been ill, and this has put a crimp into his plans.

A week or so from Apalachicola, going into the various areas of the "Big Bend" (see Rick Rhodes book "Cruising Guide to Florida's Big Bend") and ending at Tarpon Springs would be a great cruise. Yep, we have to watch out for the shoal water! There are a number of inlets and rivers along the way to Tarpon Springs. I would say that the time for the trip needs to be fairly open, because weather is a major issue any time of the year.

I am open to time and others who might want to make this trip in the shoulder seasons (Oct-early Nov or March-May).

We would love to do the St. Johns with the group--but Feb is in the middle of our Keys trip--plus it still can get cold in Feb…(the reason to spend Jan thru March in the Keys).
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see Roger Rockwell again! Enjoyed his company at Powell in 2008! What is Roger's wife's name? We are blanking here!
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack or nitpick... if someone is planning to do the entire Gulf Intracoastal Waterway, note that it does not end (or begin) in Brownsville, Texas. The last marker for the GICW is the turning basin in Port Isabel, Texas. From there, you can go inland 15 miles in the Brownsville Ship Channel, but that puts you in the Port of Brownsville, a commercial port, which does not have pleasure or recreational boat facilities.

I remember reading Roger's account of tying off at a chained off ramp in the port, but with heightened security (pleasure boats are not allowed to anchor or tie off anywhere in the port) a repeat of that isn't likely. You have to admire his will to do his Super Loop. We weren't able to meet up with Roger at that time (May 2009), since we were in South Dakota when he was in the area. I remember reading his accounts of high temps, even higher humidity, and mosquitoes... there is a reason we weren't in Texas at that time. Wink

Jim
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did talk with Roger yesterday. His boat is for sale on Craig's list in Alaska. He has given up on the idea of the "Super Loop". His wife's name is Mary Jo. I also had a chance to talk to her yesterday. Roger is making Ham radio antennas and they have traveling in their camper on the radar..They are both doing well, but as with many of us, back problems have put the C Dory on hold.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Active Captain Big Bend Rally Reply with quote

For me I always liked avoiding cattle drives that included large numbers of people. I try to keep myself and crew from taking part of crowded conditions which include holidays and the like. I think a four boat contingent that stayed on the fringe and that had alternate plans for each end of trip might be fun. Take lots of pictures I don't think I'll make this trip. Wink
D.D.

thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had some personal correspondance with Jeff Siegel and this is all very much in the concept stage. It would be several years off. His current thinking is weather wise, April might be the best. He envisions a lot of the organizaion being done by St. Pete Yacht Club. The 25's and Tom Cats could make the trip at planing speed. The 22's would probably be at a very low speed--in the 5 knot range.

Again, I just kicked this out there to see what interest there was, and note the opportunity. One of the concepts would be to have some sponsership by DeLorme or Spot, where there would be the satellite tracking and messaging for all of the boats. Some of the yacht clubs and cities along the gulf coast have shown interest.

I tend to agree with Dave, above, and avoid huge gatherings, but I have done about a dozen Ensenada sailing races with about 500 boats, and several Transpacs (Hawaii) with over 60 boats which were great events. On the other hand the Delta Cruise, and many other of the C brat gatherings/cruises with 10 to 20 boats are fantastic events.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple years out suits us just fine! I have to get Patty used to long trips in the Silverado little by little!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: