The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Is this an issue or not?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rough-C's

City/Region: NW
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Is this an issue or not? Reply with quote

I recently went to look at a 22 cruiser with the intent of purchasing if it checked out. I passed on the purchase because I found what appeared to be a crack along the bottom of the transom. The crack ran almost across the whole width of the bottom of the boat. The seller was convinced it was normal and probably just a seam where the gelcoat met. Having had several glass boats and never seeing this before I am asking for advice. I have several photo's but don't know how or if I can post them. Thanks.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this an issue or not? Reply with quote

Rough-C's wrote:
I recently went to look at a 22 cruiser with the intent of purchasing if it checked out. I passed on the purchase because I found what appeared to be a crack along the bottom of the transom. The crack ran almost across the whole width of the bottom of the boat. The seller was convinced it was normal and probably just a seam where the gelcoat met. Having had several glass boats and never seeing this before I am asking for advice. I have several photo's but don't know how or if I can post them. Thanks.

Not normal for a crack along the bottom of transom.
Pictures are worth a thousand words Thumbs Up
aisy4444

City/Region: Piscataway
State or Province: NJ
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a crack is significant damage, so think that in such situations it is worth not buying. I don't think it's worth buying goods that need to be repaired right away. Better to pay more for a better product.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask TyBoo for an album. He is #2 of "Memberlist" (in the header) page. You can link to other albums In the internet.

The gel coat is sprayed into the mold first, then an opaque color layer (may be the only gel coat in a dark gel coated bottom--some are color some are white). Then mat, cloth Roving etc... There should not be a "seam" of gel coat.

Measuring relative moisture is a good way to check if there is moisture in the core. Also tap out with phenolic screwdriver handle or small plastic hammer to look for voids, and delimitation.

I have not taken apart the transom of a 22. My 2003 25 had some void, and some solid glass at the very lowest part of the transom/junction with the bottom. There was no moisture.

With transom issue, we usually see flexing of the transom: bring the motor to trailering position. But your full body weight on the lower unit and see if transom flexes. Any cracking is often around the upper part, under the black plastic cover strip (where the deck and hull mold are joined. Also in the corner of splash wells, transom around bolts.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: