journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, the bottom two are a darker colour and I would assume that the colour comes from brake dust. Does it?

If so, I would guess that only the darker set is braking, since that's the only one with dust. Or, did you clean off the dust in the top ones?

Boris
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
however I did run into one problem with the transmission oil overheating.

Colby, this has no doubt been remedied since you wrote this but just a couple of thoughts. If a truck does not have the factory trailer tow package - you may have to upgrade the tranny cooler. Also never tow without the overdrive(if equipped) defeated. Your engine may have plenty of power to pull but the combination of heavy load/low rpm will cause the tranny fluid to run hotter lowering the life expectancy of the tranny. As for fuel economy doing this - I pulled a U Haul trailer out west years ago with my 6.5 turbo diesel and got better mileage going west with O.D. off than coming back - no trailer and O.D. engaged!

Regards, Rob

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch Boris, I started to say something in my post with the photos, but wasn't sure exactly why the color difference. I tend to agree with your thought that that axles brakes were not working. Or could have been I had them adjusted much looser so the front axle was doing most the work. (The darker ones came off the front axle.) I did check the operation of the new brakes, and know that all 4 are in fact energized. And the old ones were still providing a lot of stopping power, even if only two were actually doing the work.
One thing to point out for the naysayers about electric brakes, notice the magnet is still all intact with no pitting or breakdown. But no saltwater dunkings on this trailer either, other than the brackish St. John's River a few times, the brackish Sacramento River and retrieving the boat at Astoria a few weeks ago. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I no longer tow with the Highlander. I finally found a nice F150! Very Happy However, the Highlander did have a tow package. The problem with the one time tranny overheating was due to repeated accelerations from 30mph to 60 mph after having to slow down repeatedly, on a +7% grade in high elevation. And on a relatively warm day. It finally overheated on the 3rd acceleration. I suspect this would happen to many tow vehicles towing at their max weights... The F150 I purchased did NOT come with the factory tow package. (Which only means no aux tranny cooler, trailer hitch & plug or trailer brake controller. It still has the "tow" mode and was prewired for most the connections needed.) I did install a good hitch and 7 pin plug, and after market brake controller. After two trips with the boat out west over the mountains, I see no need for the aux tranny cooler. Cool While I felt very comfortable towing with the Highlander, the F150 does a great job, and it would be hard to go back to towing long distance with the Highlander. Mr. Green Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a few years, and thought I'd stir the pot again. Mr. Green I'm in the process of purchasing a new trailer, and it will have Electric over Hydraulic (EOH) disc brakes. Only because Load Rite doesn't do pure electric brakes. One thing I've seen from experience with C-Traveler's trailer this year, which has Disc brakes, is that they run hotter, thereby needing longer to cool down before backing the trailer in the water or sucking more water into the bearings. Another thread recently talked about disc brake drag. And I don't think I'm the only one that has lost a caliper going down the road somewhere. I've also noticed there is some delay between when I apply my truck brakes and when the EOH system kicks in. Not much of a delay mind you, but more so than I've noticed with pure electric. Someday, when the EOH system starts costing me money in repairs, I'll probably just pull it and replace it with all electric. Anyway, I just came across this article. Enjoy. Smile Colby

https://72land-n-sea.blogspot.com/2016/11/electric-brakes-for-your-boat-trailer.html
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that blog should get the old topic going well.
Offering comments without personally experiencing an all electric brake system used in fresh and salt water launching situations should be used cautiously.
Opinions are just that.
Ultimately, it is personal preference based on personal experience, and personal experience of doing ongoing maintenance of your equipment.
I have to admire Colby, he puts a lot of miles on his trailer and boat. Experience and owner hands getting dirty.
Hands On Guy !

Now we sit back and read !
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby is the epitomy of a "trailer boater".
Interesting that the EOH trailer brake has a delay. I would thing that would not be. Any idea why it is occurring?

I am considering upgrading my trailer brakes to 4 wheel, vs 2, and EOH or Surg.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only guess is perhaps time for the actuator to pressurize the brake line after getting the electric impulse from the controller. Or could just be my brake controller settings. But I think the settings are ok.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardee,

Those EOH brakes are driven when (my) brake controller senses an electrical signal from the vehicle brake, then generates another electrical to the pressure generator on the trailer. This generator contains an electrically driven hydraulic pump, operated from the vehicle 12v. This builds up hydraulic pressure and moves the brake pucks in the caliper.

Is it any wonder that there is some delay? It's on the order of 1-2 sec, I estimate.

Nevertheless, EOH brakes are the best way to stop that boat/trailer I've encountered. They operate as a result of applying the vehicle brake, are disk with all those benefits and DON'T operate when I'm backing up or going downgrade. I've been towing boats for 45 years and used no brakes, surge brakes and EOH.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never "timed" the controller/E/H, but when I use the controller only, there seems to be an almost immediate effect--not the full effect, but can notice the drag. Faster than surge brakes; far better control. It is certainly possible that pure electric is faster.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Bad link.

Last edited by colbysmith on Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those EOH brakes are driven when (my) brake controller senses an electrical signal from the vehicle brake, then generates another electrical to the pressure generator on the trailer. This generator contains an electrically driven hydraulic pump, operated from the vehicle 12v. This builds up hydraulic pressure and moves the brake pucks in the caliper.

Boris provides a very simplistic description here. In the old days, I think most controllers got their signal from the brake light switch, and then a pendulum or de-acceleration monitor within the controller provided the appropriate current to the trailer brakes to activate them with relative pressure to the tow vehicles brakes. However, life has gotten more advanced, and so have controllers. Mr. Green This blog offers a good description of the brake controllers out there now and how they work. I have Ford's factory installed controller in my pickup, and as for general operation, I think it works a lot like the Tekonsa aftermarket controllers I've used in the past.

https://www.rv.net/SharedCode/ford/output.cfm?id=2973835

The above just discusses brake controllers. The newer controllers will work with electric or electric over hydraulic. The main difference to me is that electric is currently only available with drum and shoe brakes. Whereas EOH can work with any system that uses hydraulics. (Drum/shoe or Disc/pads.) Of course using an EOH system with drum brakes is really a big waste of money in my books, as you are not gaining anything. In fact, I think EOH on a drum system is inferior to an electric system. To me the discussion regarding electric vs EOH is simply one of drums vs disc. I accept that disc is advantageous to drum in stopping power and ease of rinsing and seeing brake condition - depending upon type of wheel. But it's also a much more expensive system. Whereas an electric system is going to be much more cost efficient and still do a good job. It will be harder to rinse the brakes with fresh water, or to see their condition. However with a fresh water rinse system installed, that alleviates the one disadvantage. Regardless which system you have, including surge, preventive maintenance will play a factor in how well and long your brakes work and last. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have Ford's factory installed controller in my pickup, and as for general operation, I think it works a lot like the Tekonsa aftermarket controllers I've used in the past.

From the article, and my understanding of the Ford system:

Quote:
Ford’s integrated controller electronically tracks hydraulic pressure inside the vehicle’s master cylinder and uses the pressure, along with vehicle speed, to modulate the amount of current produced for trailer brakes. Thus, the system accurately follows tow-vehicle braking with more at high pedal pressure, less at low, even to the point of using ABS. If the wheels of the tow vehicle are slipping, ABS goes into action for the tow vehicle as well as the trailer.

Don't see how an after makes such as the Tekonsa (which I have used on the RV with E/H when I had the 22), can be the same as a unit which senses hydraulic pressure. I. have the Ford system in my 250. It is difficult to compare with a lighter boat towed by a much heavier vehicle with air brakes, but the Ford systems seems more "responsive", and better.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"General operation". What I meant was the Ford controller and Tekonsa's are alike in that they proportion the amount of braking to what the vehicle's braking is doing. Ford's system using it's own master cylinder electronics, and Tekonsa using de-acceleration. Perhaps I'm being way to general there. Smile The Ford system is much more sensitive to the vehicles brake operation since it's taking readings right off the master brake cylinder. Either way, after finding and reading that article to come more up to date on more modern systems, it makes a little more sense of why the Ford factory controller is relatively expensive. There are three settings available for the brakes, being Low, Medium and High. I think there is a way to tweak that a bit more as well, but I'd need to get into the operating manual. The controller works well on either electric or EOH brake systems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: