The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

tomcat 255 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KickerDRB

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Photos: RayAnn
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: tomcat 255 questions Reply with quote

All,

As I seem to be always looking for the next boat/project, the Tomcat 255's have been on my mind lately. A couple of questions for the group.

Are they truely sized for 4-5 adults daytripping? Can everyone sit down comfortably?

Are they under powered with anything but 150's on the back? Again assume average use, but more than likely loaded on the heavier side.

thanks,
Dave
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one powered with 115's and compared with 150s or even 175's (maximum) it's not the same. It would still go 32-35 kts which was fast enough but I did upgrade to one with 150s and I'd recommend that to anyone getting one. And yes 4-5 is fine as long as one or two are in the cockpit. Seating is a little crowded with 5, 4 inside is fine.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sasscom

City/Region: St. Michaels
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ViewFinder
Photos: ViewFinder
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: TomCat question Reply with quote

OK with up to 6 adults for a day trip...but it will be a bit tight. We take 6 of us out for harbor cruises and afternoons of anchoring...it's a bit tight in the cockpit...but no one ever complains.

150s are ideal...anything less and you're running the engines a bit hard to maintain cruising speeds of 20-25 knots and you won't really burn less fuel. A couple of been outfitted with 175s....

Suzuki 150s
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 adults can be comfortably seated in the cabin. One in the helm seat, two on the forward port side seat and one on the aft port side seat. Anything more than that in the cabin requires either extra seating in the cabin, someone standing, someone in the berth, some reconfiguration of the seating or someone seated in the cockpit. We've fished with 5 on board without much problem. But usually 3 are in the cockpit and 2 in the cabin when fishing. The aft seat in the cockpit catches a little spray if the seas are over 2' or so. Seating on a cooler just aft of the cabin bulkhead is dry as can be.

I have Honda 135's on my tomcat and get close to the top end reported by those with 150's. My top end is just under 40MPH (35kts) very heavily loaded and with bottom paint and perma trims.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling after having sea trailed one with a 135 Hondas, and one with 150 Suzuki's--I went with the 150 Suzuki's. I feel you can get props which are better suited to the boat--because of the lower gear case ratio and ability to swing a larger prop diameter with the Suzuki. We were in the mid to upper 40's fairly well loaded at WOT of 6000 RPM.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are powered with Honda 135's. Happy with the motors and no regret's after more than 800 hours. Two adults are ideal. You can do four, but sleeping for two adults and two kids is about it. We have slept three adults, but one was on a cot in the cockpit. Once at Lake Powell we had 13 on board for snacks and watched Hunkydory's videos of Alaska.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicker,
depends, as always.
5 Mississippi 'good 'ol boys' at 320# each is a 1600# load alone, and 2 two of them won't play nicely together on the nav seat.
We are trying to stay below 155# each which works much better for us.
The 255 is a great boat but requires a big truck (maybe you need one for other than pleasure boating, or buy used) and trailer (mine will be for sale at Wefings after I buy a new HD Float On like Dr Bob had).
Once you spend this much money, you may well want twin 150's (those with twin Suz 175's have no regrets), but I respect Discovery's opinion immensely as they have much more time on their boat than we do.

In the meantime, enjoy your great boat to the max, and realize a lot of fun can be had on smaller C-Dorys than the 255 for a lot less money! Some of our most hilarious adventures were on 15-22' trailer boats, and like Dr Bob I could see going back (perhaps with a mega RV like his, or perhaps not).
In any event, my advice is ENJOY THE C-DORY YOU HAVE!
We will be trailering to a couple of south FL resorts with marinas for 2 weeks that offer all resort amenities (fitness center, golf, tennis, beaches, heated pools etc) for <$3/foot. They are meant for 100 ft boats, but for a 22' you sleep on this is an ABSOLUTE STEAL! Esp when you get some meals at the Publix (free shuttle) and heat them on your Coleman in the cockpit.
Cheers!
John

KickerDRB

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Photos: RayAnn
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, great advice from all, thank you.

I do appreciate the 22cruiser, although the mission may be slightly changing, you just never know! Towing is not much of a concern. The Alaskan Cadillac or "Trigger" as we call it can handle it (4dr F350 6.7L diesel).

regards,
Dave
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 135 Hondas on our 255 and it does just fine. Does not feel underpowered and tops out around 38 MPH on the current props.

My brother in law has 150 Suzukis on his 255 and it does low 40's but might be burning more fuel.

Since we typically cruise between 20-30, the top speed is not an issue. in either case, we are moderately heavily loaded for fishing and cruising.
chriscarrera

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Carrera
Photos: Carrera
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cruise with a couple adults sittiing in the cockpit, on lawn chairs. Inside the camperback, no problems. Sleeping, we have done 2 cots in cockpit, wife on settee and me with 2 kids up front. Little tight with regards to gear storage, but fine otherwise. 135s as well, seem fine. Just happy to be boating and getting there quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: