The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

RACOR Fuel Filter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: RACOR Fuel Filter Reply with quote

Journey On has a RACOR fuel filter between the gas tank and the engine. As far as I know, every C-Dory that has a built in gas tank (C-25, TomCat, Venture,) has at least one of these.

To go into more detail, the RACOR element P/N is S3240. It screws into the fuel head, and then a sediment bowl screws into the bottom of the element. Works well, at least until I try to change them.

This year, the element came off the head, but I couldn't get the bowl off the element. Cut the filter open (try that with a gasoline filter,) and the black plastic ring was stuck in the transparent bowl. Broke the ring, still wouldn't come out.

So, has anybody else had that problem?

Called RACOR, in Modesto, Ca. Phone No. 800-344-3286, on the new filter. Yep, that happens, and their engineers are working on a fix. That's been for over a year. Well, they said they'd send me a new bowl and filter, which is SOP.

Just thought I'd mention it to see if there's another solution.

Boris
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not yet
I changed the S3213 filter last winter and applied purple marine grease to the bowl and element threads. RACOR did released a new O ring and it is green instead of black. I posted on this item earlier and it's in the archives.

matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Sure is Reply with quote

Very common problem....here's a solution.

Stick metal bowl firmly in vice (don't bend it though). Take a giant pipe wrench - i.e. 18" long - grab a hold and twist it off. This works for me every time. You will never get it off with an oil filter wrench.

I coat the rubber gasket with motor oil and make sure not to twist it on too tight at the start of the season but they always seize up.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a plastic bowl. Maybe it is more common issue with metal bowls or folks are over tightening. I removed the bowl easliy with strap wrench
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is that Boris has the plastic bowl--and these are the problem type--not the metal bowls.

I put silicone grease on the threads of the plastic bowl when I thread it on the filter.

If it is getting stuck--either it it too tight, or you are waiting too long between intervals to change out the filter....

Good to hear that Racor is standing up to support the product.

I am not sure that all of the older boats have Racors--some may have engine specific filters--which often have Sierra replacements.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact problem last year (1st time changing the filter) - i used the bench vise and carefully got it off. This year I was able to remove both by hand because I had only hand tightened the filters last year. I just did that this morning expecting problems, but I either got stronger or did it right last year.
nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too cut into the filter. Once I peeled away the metal I gradually cut imto the plastic threads joining to the bowl in one little section with a stanley knife very carefully so as not to disturb bowl threads. Then picked out remaining threads giveing me a little room to compress the thread ring Simple as that! Never once did I doubt I was going to shorten up another digit on my allready deficient left hand, but I had antiseptic unleaded so I was safe there. Vern/C-Dog
journey on

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as Verne and Brazo noted above, the only way to separate the black ring from the bowl is to cut the ring into segments and peel it off. If I remember correctly ( who knows?) I used silicone grease last year. Either not enough, or that was a waste of time.

We'll wait and see if RACOR sends a new bowl,as the old one is sorta scratched up. And they've only been working on the fix for a year.

Boris
Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After dealing with that issue once now I loosen and retighten the bowl every year. Dunno if it will really keep them from welding together but that's the theory.
siddfynch

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: XerxSeas
Photos: Xerxseas
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Just came here Reply with quote

after searching for Racor for another problem/question. But, I will say that I was JUST barely able to pry my metal bowl away from the filter this afternoon on the boat. Did not have to resort to the vice (11 miles away), but was one step away.
siddfynch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Racor question Reply with quote

My unit is the white metal Racor one (gas engine), with metal bowl. Filter cannister is S3228TUL.

The instructions for replacing the cannister tell me to fill the new cannister with gasoline before screwing it on. I did not do this when replacing my filter this afternoon. Instead, I figured I would bleed the air from the system using what appeared to be a hex-head bleeder screw (9/16) on the mount.

Well, I could not get any air or gas to come out of the bleeder screw, despite running the engine for about 5 minutes. The engine ran initially (apparently off residual fuel left in lines), then died multiple times (apparently it ran out of said residual fuel), then re-started and ran fine(apparently as new fuel ran through the lines).

So now my questions are, do I still need to bleed the system? And, if so, what was I doing wrong with the bleeder screw to make it not spit any air or fuel over the course of 5 minutes?
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Filter Reply with quote

I have never added fuel or bleed my system and I change my fuel filters at the start of every season. The fuel pumps seem to do their job pretty quickly.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too have never bled the system when changing the filter. I have what sounds like the same filter. When you pump the bulb you are first filling the filter.
siddfynch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Filter Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:
I have never added fuel or bleed my system and I change my fuel filters at the start of every season. The fuel pumps seem to do their job pretty quickly.

Thanks guys, that makes me feel a little better. But after researching this a little more last night (and getting worried), I have to ask: what happens to the air in a filter that you don't fill with gas or bleed?
journey on

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, RACOR did come through with a new plastic filter bowl.

The air in the bowl and lines gets sucked into the engine and then bled off via a couple of designed in bleed points, if you don't bleed it out first. Air going through the injectors causes a lot of havoc, so they bleed it out automatically.

I bleed the fuel system first, though. The first fuel pump in a 150 Honda is a low pressure mechanical pump, which has positive suction and feeds the high pressure electric pump. I just don't want the chance of the engine not getting fuel and dying when I start it in God knows where. The C-Dory people gave me 2 ea fuel lines, one for the main engine and one for the kicker. I cut the kicker line and put a brass coupler in there. When I want to bleed the fuel line, I remove the kicker end, attach a hand pump, give it a couple of pumps and when gas comes out, it's bled. I use a Beckson Siphon Mate Transfer Pump.

One additional comment. I installed a fuel flow meter, which is a little turbine, in the fuel line to tell me how much gas I was using. It died a year or so ago, and they wanted ~$100 for a replacement. I blew some air through it, and got a reading on the gauge. So I guess it just got stuck or crapped up, and we'll see if it comes back to life.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: