The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Choice of Electric over hydraulic actuator
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Choice of Electric over hydraulic actuator Reply with quote

I am getting ready to put electric over hydraulic brakes on the "new" trailer.
There are three E/H actuator's available:
Hydrastar,
Titian (BrakeRite),
Dexter.

There are adaptors for the factory in cab brake controller by Hydrastar and Titian, (which are necessary for the GMC Yukon). The RV will have a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. I suspect that either of the adaptors will work with the Dexter, but not "official".

All are 1500 to 1600 PSI for disc brakes. The titian has a plastic cover (which alone is not a concern, but lack of weather sealing may be an issue.

All of the units/components will be mounted above the trailer frame to avoid immersion during launch. (either on a stand, or on the tongue pedestal).

I will be putting in a "wash down" system, which will use a garden sprayer with "salt away" for immediate wrinse after launch, spraying directly onto the calipers and rotors.

Which actuator brand should I go with and why?

I am considering both Trailer Superstore, and E-Trailer supply--any experience with these? E-trailer had some complaints at "pissed customer"--Eastern Marine trailer superstore…none I could find. BBB, Eastern Marine A+, E-trailer no rating.

I'll make a note--I had considered plain electric brakes, and I may put them on the Caracal, which does not require brakes because it is less than 3000 lbs But the E/H Discs have a history of better stoping power, than electric brakes--as well as the concern about corrosion and being far easier to wrinse off after use.
Thanks

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Lost Petrel

City/Region: Potter Valley
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I cannot help with the actuator as the Hydrastar on "Wild Blue's" trailer is they only one I am familiar with, but I did just buy four new disc brake sets from the Trailer Superstore and am quite satisfied with the service. Though it was pretty expensive to ship all the way to the west coast, their pricing was good enough to make up the difference.
I bought my Prodigy controller from Etrailer and they were fine about taking the first one I mis-ordered back.

Tim

http://lostpetrel.blogspot.com/
Other boats;
Cape Dory Typhoon
Pearson Ariel
My Galleries
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Choice of Electric over hydraulic actuator Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
There are adaptors for the factory in cab brake controller by Hydrastar and Titian, (which are necessary for the GMC Yukon). The RV will have a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. I suspect that either of the adaptors will work with the Dexter, but not "official".

Can't comment on anything other than Hydrastar, but along those lines - I was advised by Hydrastar that their HBA-CAM adaptor (required for compatibility with many brake controllers) doesn't get in the way of any controller for which it is not needed.

So, while you may already know this - for anyone going with Hydrastar, it's not a bad idea to simply toss one into the mix regardless. That way, your trailer can be towed by virtually any modern brake controller on the market - factory or otherwise.

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim and Bill, Good to know that service was good. I think that each of the (Titian and Hydrastar) built in adaptors are a very good idea--for not many$$! It also makes you wonder why GM and Ford put the controllers in the trucks, and they will not work with E/H actuators. Good point that the adaptor be put on the trailer, rather than the truck!
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
It also makes you wonder why GM and Ford put the controllers in the trucks, and they will not work with E/H actuators.

Actually...it makes me wonder why Hydrastar doesn't integrate the HBA-CAM logic and/or chipset into their actuators. I'll bet dollars to donuts we'd be talking about a few extra bucks in components.

It's not like factory brake controllers are a fringe item...one would think they are common enough that Hydrastar would want their actuators to work universally, regardless of what was on the other end. Not to mention, given that the HBA-CAM needs to be integrated into the trailer wiring - it's yet one more place where wiring gremlins from corrosion/connections can take place.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just re-wired the Hydrastar actuator on our TomCat trailer. I also bought and installed an HBA-Cam module to make it work with the 2012 Ford F350. The 12V positive and the ground wires both had corroded over time. I bought another 24" brake hose and moved the actuator up to the level of the 2nd step on the front of the trailer. Now there is no chance of submerging the actuator.

I have been happy with the Hydrastar. It has worked well since 2005, up until the wires corroded, but that's not the fault of the actuator.

I have bought from eTrailer a few times, and always had excellent service and fast shipping. Usually free shipping on orders over $99.00

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought a number of things from e-Trailer, over a period of years. I have found them to be fantastic. Here is why I like them:

1) Good item descriptions, with photos, including some added by customers, post installation.

2) Q & A from customers that you can view, plus you can ask a question. When you ask a question they go right out to the warehouse, get the item in hand, measure it (or whatever you asked about) and then post it back on the website. Sometimes even with drawings/measurements/angles/etc. They understand what they are looking at and are not just "sales drones" who have no idea about the products. I have found this to be extremely helpful for certain things where I just couldn't tell online (at any site).

3) Reviews, and it does not look like they sensor any bad ones. Nor does it look like they "encourage" reviews to the point where people just post meaningless things to get "points" or whatever.

4) Helpful videos that show you more about a product and/or answer questions.

5) Very responsive staff if an issue arises (something I ordered has been on back order from the mfgr since JULY and e-Trailer has kept in communication with me on their initiative).

6) Lastly (and I say that because the other things are more important to me) they have a good selection and competitive prices.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,
Glad you had a good customer experience--One of the reasons I asked is because E Trailer have 72 reviews (mostly negativ ) on Pissed off Customer--and EasternMarine has none (and an A+ BB rating).

I wrote my first negative review (GearX) on Amazon a couple of days ago. (claimed an item was in stock, then claimed to have shipped it, and a couple of days later I get an e-mail that they could not find the item in their warehouse.) I got the same Item from Austin Kayak for over 30% less.
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of e-trailer for the same reasons Sunbeam states. My only minor gripe is shipping speed. I've been spoiled by the likes of Amazon and many others, who tend to ship out everything same day or next. I've had e-trailer take 2 business days to get things sent out, which ain't terrible - but in this age of near instant online gratification, they could do a little better in that regard. I've never had to return something to them, so have no idea how their customer service is in that regard.

And, while e-trailer's selection is pretty decent - they've not always had what I've needed for marine specific trailer parts/products. I've also used www.boattrailerparts.com for many items recently - specifically aluminum components for my FloatOn. Good prices, great selection and quick shipping.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear about e-Trailer. have been looking there for some lights....and wondering about all those things you hear/see about the online dealers.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gathering the parts to do this as well. On the recommendation of eTrailer I went with the BrakeRite II system. I've received all the parts and am now just waiting for the planets to align so I can do the job.

The BrakeRite II stuff looks pretty durable. All the wires are protected and terminated with waterproof connectors. I've also purchased the mounting pedestal made by Pacific Trailers to hang everything off of and keep it higher off the frame. Here's a description of an install with a good picture of the thing installed: http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/trailer-conversion-to-e-h-and-tongue-extension-project.355431/

If you want to go your own route, here's a nice description with lots of photos of a custom install of the BrakeRite II: http://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers/524938-converting-electric-over-hydraulic-brakes-how-i-did.html

Food for thought.
olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another controller and actuator. Looks interesting, may be overkill for a 22, but still.....

http://www.direclink.com

Here's a review of the system- not sure if there's any relationship??? Don't think so.

http://www.examiner.com/review/direclink-anti-lock-brakes-for-faster-safer-trailer-stopping

Because I was where I was
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, The Carlisle HydraStar works perfectly with the 2006 Ford built-in controller. No adapter needed. I mounted mine way up out of the way so it would stay dry.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of choices. I have noted that there are several Radio frequency controllers--which eliminates wiring. Too many chances to interference for my taste--so I will go with hard wiring. There is always the risk of theift of batteries. I probably would remove the breakaway batteries if leaving the trailer for any length of time. Also a bit of either plastic cameo paint would tend to discourage theft of the actuator. Most folks suggest some corrosion preventing materials on all of the connectors, and then using liquid tape on the outside to seal the connector--since you will not be taking it apart.

Definitely the actuator needs to be elevated.

Orders are going in today, and will start on the trailer tomorrow--lowering the bunks, putting two rollers on the front, pulling wheels/hubs, and getting it up on jack stands for the work.
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of pure curiosity...

I wonder if there's some way to wire the break-away to the batteries on the boat. Could just plug it in to a downrigger outlet (or something similar). Maybe even install an outlet on the bow somewhere. You'd have to remember to connect/disconnect it whenever you launched the boat. (Shouldn't be any worse than having to remember to make sure the drain plug was in.) But, it seems like it might be a good way to avoid having to purchase/maintain another battery.

Just a thought.

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: