More new Garmin: 7", 8", and 9" MFD's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: More new Garmin: 7", 8", and 9" MFD's Reply with quote

Garmin is now coming out with new 7", 8", and 9" MFD's. Lack of these was the reason I did not go Garmin when I recently upgraded my old Garmin 2006c. The 741 screen was too small for me, and I wanted a touch screen (IIRC, the next touch screen option "up" in Garmin was WAY up).

These new offerings are just the type of thing I was looking for (went 9" Raymarine instead, simply because there wasn't anything similar in Garmin).

Here is more about them, with photos and commentary, on Panbo:

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2014/10/garmin_2015_glass_bridge_7600_series_reactor_autopilot_xhd2_radar_more.html
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam, I didn't see a 9"--there is a 10" and 12". Touch screen. I had one touch screen and two button screens. I still prefer the buttons, but there are advantages to both. In a small boat which is bouncing around a touch screen is difficult for me to use--but it may be a personal quirk.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oopsie, my fault: It's 7", 8", 10", and 12". I would have been happy with a 10", I think (have 9" now).

I actually really like buttons and knobs too, but I now ALSO really want a touch screen. I find it so handy to be able to swipe/zoom etc, right on the screen instead of marching the cursor over to the edge, and only then moving the chart around. So what I didn't want was buttons without a touch screen. Ideally I would have both, with second choice being touch only (what I have now).

I'm still undecided about whether to continue to build up the Raymarine I have now (A98 MFD) (with Radar, etc) or whether to back up and go Simrad (who have a great touch screen, plus buttons and a knob).

Sunbeam
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touchscreens can be difficult to use in bouncy conditions compared to conventional controls. In my business (nothing to do with boats), the customers all like the whiz bang features the touchscreens can provide but always want certain features available through hard buttons/controls because they are more reliable and a lot easier to use when things are moving.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my Garmin units (2), and I'm pretty OK with my Raymarine. They all are button driven. The Watchmate AIS is not. It is entirely touch screen. It is a whole different "touch" than my phone, and it is sometimes very stubborn about doing what I want Embarassed mostly due to I guess I don't have the "right touch". I'm with Sunbeam on this, I'd like the capability to do the functions with either. For the zoom and drag, the touch is really nice. For some of the other functions the buttons seem easier.

Choices, choices, choices. Sometimes we get them, and sometimes we need them Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

NO PICTURE. CAN'T FIGURE OUT THIS SYSTEM -- BORROWED LAP TOP WITH WINDOWS 8

Flint

City/Region: Marathon
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Grace Full
Photos: Grace Full
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: garman vs raymarine Reply with quote

Sunbeam, for customer repair service Garmin has it way over Raymarine. I've had both and I feel the Garmin is really user friendly over Raymarine. My problem with Raymarine is that they had my chart plotter for over five weeks for repair. Worst part was that no one returned my calls or emails about the repair. My Garmin was a 4212 and I had to send it back for repair and they had it for two days and returned it to me. Just my experience with the two companies.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apps for I-phone/pad, NOAA downloads for any computer or pad may be taking the place of these for some. BitterEnd provided this link:

http://www.inavx.com/

It will not of course overlay a radar screen, but that may or may not be a minus.

I have a 6 inch Windows 8 phone, and at this time no such apps available.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, but you can't get Navionics for your phone? I only have Apple devices, so don't know for sure, but I thought the Navionics app was fairly universally available (having used Macs for decades, the idea that there are things avialable for it that aren't available for other platforms is funny - for years it would all be going along smoothly until.... "Oh, wait, you have a Mac?" :pin drops:

It's true that apps are really coming into their own, with many types of charts available (Navionics, Garmin, etc) and even a Furuno radar that works with an app, although I wouldn't say "taking the place of" yet. Not quite anyway. I do have a few charting apps, plus a few other handy apps on an iPad that I bought to use on the boat (and in the tow vehicle) as a nav adjunct. That said, there are still some things that chartplotters do better (at least now), such as sunlight viewing, water resistance, and radar overlay (plus probably others I'm not thinking of). It's all changing quickly though! And one could certainly get by fine without a chartplotter -- after all, we did it for years (as long as you have the paper charts and etc.) And I think a fellow did the Great Loop last year "just" using an iPad and nav apps.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents on the button versus touch screen question. When in rough, wet conditions, buttons are definite and almost never give a result you can not easily reverse. Touch screens are wonderful otherwise, but if you make a wrong swipe, it can lead to unwanted displays. And, when your hands are grotty with fish slime, salt, sand, etc., touching the screen can lead to stuff you do not want on that surface.

I work off a Samsung tablet at home, having abandoned my Windows platform a couple years ago, so I am a touch screen guy inside the house, and love it for that environment. On the boat, all buttons.

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstoriaDave wrote:
On the boat, all buttons.

I totally get your reasons for liking buttons - I feel the same way. But I'm surprised that you wouldn't want both. That's my preference. In decent conditions I found it really nice to be able to move the chart around with my finger, plus change the scale (even both at the same time!). The other functions I don't care so much about being touch, but the chart movement is nice. Also quick waypoints in good conditions. I do have a screen protector on mine, like you'd have on a phone or etc.

Still, now that I read this thread it amplifies my already existing thoughts about switching to Simrad. The one I demoed (NSS EVO 2) had a touch screen, plus buttons, AND a knob. I had to make a rush decision and so went for the Raymarine A98 (all touch). It was great on Powell, but the conditions were pretty benign and I would feel better with both options available. I will decide one way or the other before adding radar or other things.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam, both is a good option. I would likely avoid the touch screen or lock out that method so in a crunch my reflexive actions would be all button, and perhaps quicker because I would not be thinking, "now should I swipe or punch a button?"
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean, Dave. And it's not like your area is typically a mill pond!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: