View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldraker

City/Region: Amarillo
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: See-Saw
Photos: See-Saw
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Erie Canal--See-Saw and other boats--my article & photos Reply with quote

If you've done the Erie Canal by C-Dory, you'll identify with this trip. If you haven't done it, this will make you want to and probably answer some of your questions, maybe alleviate some concerns. It's an easy trip, although getting to New York State may be quite a trek for those on the West Coast. But it's worth the trip.

Check out my latest travel article on Examiner.com, titled "Fifteen miles on the Erie Canal . . . or three hundred . . . or more?" I've included lots of photos of the canal, the surroundings, the locks, and different types of boats on the canal, including several of C-Dories--well, actually just our own See-Saw! We DID see a few other 'Dories on the journey, but my best photos were, of course, of our boat. And there is quite a bit of info about the canal itself, what you'll encounter there, where it goes and why, its origins, etc. Click on this link, or copy and paste -- http://exm.nr/1uHUiiC -- to get to the article. Please let me know if you have any corrections or concerns.

Enjoy!

Janda Raker

Stan Major

City/Region: DeLand
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: The Pegstan
Photos: The Pegstan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Saw
What kind of dog is Lindy? I am still trying to find a boating companion dog. Has to be hypoallergenic. Wife wants another Bichon. I would prefer a "real" dog. No offense to Bichon lovers. We bred several litters and they were fine dogs but I would like something bigger.

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great introduction and history of the canal. Good work. Must read for anyone considering a canal cruise or folks just interested in history.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janda, I enjoyed your pictures and excellent story. Looks like a beautiful trip. The pathway along side is an interesting touch as well, something different from our Canadian canals.

Regards, Rob

ldraker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: dogs on C-Dories Reply with quote

Our Lindy is a shelter dog, so we don't really know what she is, but she's fabulous! We had the same discussion before getting her. I had had a little poodle for many years while my kids were at home, though he wasn't chosen but was palmed off on us. But he was an intrepid explorer, a great outdoor companion. So Lyle thought I'd be tempted to choose a dog like that, and he wanted a "real dog," like you! But I fell in love with Lindy, partly because she wasn't barking, like all the other dogs in the shelter. The groomer thinks she's part soft-coated wheaten terrier and part--maybe--bichon! And she is hypoallergenic, important for Lyle too. The wheatens are quite a bit bigger than Lindy, but she's bigger than a bichon and bold and funny and wild like a wheaten. She weighs about 16 pounds, big enough to jump up into our camper and to be confident when meeting new dogs, but she's light weight enough that we can pick her up to put her on the bow of See-Saw from the shore, when we're beached. And she LOVES to travel! She really enjoyed the two weeks on the Erie Canal, getting to walk the tow paths, observing traffic from the dock, eating in the restaurants, and meeting many nice folks and dogs! (Of course, we HAVE to keep her on a leash or chain at all times on land or she'd be right off on her own adventure.) Hope you find a canine companion that fits your life like Lindy does ours!
Janda
ldraker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: reply to Bill and El Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Bill and El, for the compliment on my article. Anything positive from y'all is like winning a Pulitzer! Smile
Hope we'll meet on the road someday!

And thanks to you, Rob. We love your country, go up every chance we get, have explored ALL your provinces except the new one. And we've kayaked in lots of your waters, but we haven't 'Doried much there, except sliding back and forth between our countries in the Thousand Islands a couple of years ago. What a beautiful experience! Maybe I better write an article about that trip!

Janda (and Lyle)

Last edited by ldraker on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article, Janda. The summer we spent on the Erie Canal (and the Hudson River and Trent-Severn Waterway) was a delight. Completely different from other boat cruising we have done, but every bit as fun. Along the way, we came across festivals, concerts, farmers markets, etc.

The time we spent on the Erie Canal portion of that trip was also surprisingly economical. Many towns had town walls you could tie to for little or no charge; some with electricity and water. One town even provided a no charger washer and dryer for canal cruisers. Plenty of restaurant choices and easy provisioning near the canal. Lots of history and great architecture. Friendly people. The "cruising permit" was an absolute bargain.

Surprisingly uncrowded in most places. We had days where we saw a handful of boats going either direction. The lock tenders would often coordinate times from one lock to the next to facilitate easy cruising.

While we saw plenty of bigger boats during our time on the canal, a C-Dory is an excellent vessel for this cruise. We did come across a couple tall walls where we had to climb to the top of the boat to come and go from the boat, but it was never a problem (actually made it easier to load and unload the folding bikes we strapped to our radar arch).

And speaking of bikes, having them along with us made it easy to pick up groceries or do some touring.

The Erie Canal was one of the cruises I had in mind when we ordered our C-Dory. Highly recommended.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
ldraker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: reply to Jim Reply with quote

Thanks, Jim, for filling in some details about cruising the canal. I tend to get too long-winded on my articles, and I was trying to write for the average travel-reader, so I didn't specialize in boat stuff. What you've mentioned gives C-Brats much-needed info. You're correct. It's less expensive to be on the Erie Canal than to stay home! And it's much more relaxing! Smile
Good to hear from you.
Janda
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janda,

Nice article, and you are right, it did peak my interest in the canal and the cruising possibilities. Seeds for the future.

Jim,

Quote:
"The "cruising permit" was an absolute bargain."

Can you explain more about the permit please? Also, would this be a good place to be if one were looking for fall foliage color? Or would the summer tourist/cruising season end before the colors come on?

Thanks for expanding the possibilities.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Flint

City/Region: Marathon
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Grace Full
Photos: Grace Full
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Erie Cannel Reply with quote

We did the eastern part of the Erie Cannel in 2008 on a 42 ft trawler while doing the loop. Now we have a 26 ft C-Dory and are planning to do the Erie this summer. We want to do the entire cannel. Hope to be up there around the middle of June.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Janda,

Nice article, and you are right, it did peak my interest in the canal and the cruising possibilities. Seeds for the future.

Jim,

Quote:
"The "cruising permit" was an absolute bargain."

Can you explain more about the permit please? Also, would this be a good place to be if one were looking for fall foliage color? Or would the summer tourist/cruising season end before the colors come on?

Thanks for expanding the possibilities.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hi Harvey,

The cruising permit is what you pay to the New York State Canal System to use the locks...

http://www.canals.ny.gov/boating/tolls.html

So, for a boat your size, it would be $50 for the entire season. You can overnight just outside the locks in most places for free. Really - what an amazing deal!

Regarding fall foilage: yes, you would be able to see some pretty colors, if the timing were right. Here is a link to the hours/months of operation...

http://www.canals.ny.gov/boating/hours.html

Kinda depends on the season and Mother Nature. Go down the Seneca/Cayuga portion of the canal, and there are wineries you can visit with your boat... pretty cool at harvest time.

As you know Harvey, we are very fond of the PNW and consider it to be some of the best cruising around... but, the Erie Canal is another great cruising destination. No real "big water," but SO MANY great places to visit. You might go 7 or 8 miles for the day... or 20. This is one of those cruising areas that really deserves some extended time to get a feel for all the diverse areas.

Best wishes,
Jim
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Also, would this be a good place to be if one were looking for fall foliage color? Or would the summer tourist/cruising season end before the colors come on?

I have not done the canal, but I have spent time in that area of the country. For myself, I would not want to be there in summer. The reason is that it is hot and muggy (at least compared to what I like). Not only are the colors gorgeous there in fall, but it is cooler. Nights can be nippy.

I suppose there is a bit more of "summer tourist" type stuff like town festivals in high summer vs. the fall shoulder season. If you like those, and or if you prefer hotter/humid weather, then maybe it would be preferable to go in summer and forgo the fall colors.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done the Erie Canal in a boat, but we did New England once on our own (rental car./motels, etc), and I guessed the 2nd and 3rd week in October to be about right, though it can vary from year to year with the weather.

We hit it just right, but maybe we were just lucky!

Went from New York City to Montreal and everywhere imaginable in between.

The Hudson River, Lake George, and Lake Champlain were particularly charming to nautical types,l, but it was all spectacular!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Major wrote:
What kind of dog is Lindy? I am still trying to find a boating companion dog. Has to be hypoallergenic. Wife wants another Bichon. I would prefer a "real" dog. No offense to Bichon lovers. We bred several litters and they were fine dogs but I would like something bigger.

In our search for the ideal boat dog we ended up with two Australian Labradoodles, the female is 27# and the male is 33#. The Australian variety is different from the standard full-size 60+# Labradoodle cross (Lab & Standard Poodle) because they have had Cocker Spaniel and some others bred into the line. They are hypoallergenic and a great size for a C-Dory. The main drawback IMO is they are more poodle than lab. And they have to be groomed periodically.

You can Google the breed to find out more.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Stan Major

City/Region: DeLand
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: The Pegstan
Photos: The Pegstan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lori Ann
I will look into them. How difficult are they to find? My wife has warmed up to the poodle over the Bichon. The size of your dogs sounds about right, especially on a C-Dory 16.

Stan Major
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: