The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tow vehicle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Tow vehicle Reply with quote

I am getting close to upgrading my truck for more power so we can do some trailering in 2015. Do you think a 4.7 V-8 is enough to tow my double axle trailer and 22 ? There are a couple of Dodge Rams I have my eye on.

I know this topic has been mentioned previously in the archives, but an up to date view would be appreciated.

Martin.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Tow vehicle Reply with quote

I think the engine would be ok but I would check out any info you can find on the transmission's durability. How many speeds, 4 wheel drive? I would swing for a towing package if it's available. I'm not a fan of Dodge or Rams. I read a report that the late model heavy duty models had some issues but the 1/2 ton models where doing pretty well.
D.D.

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow vehicle Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
I'm not a fan of Dodge or Rams. I read a report that the late model heavy duty models had some issues but the 1/2 ton models where doing pretty well.
D.D.

Hi D.D.

I read online 'owner's reviews'. It was a tad confusing. One guy said, "brilliant, best truck I have ever owned". Next guy said, "garbage, piece of junk".
How helpful is that?

Martin.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, I have a 2004 Dakota with a 4.7 - auto - overdrive - full time 4wd with hi and lo range - tow package - posi rear. It has had the hp bumped up a bit - K&N cold air, and a Magna Flow ss exhaust. It has no trouble pulling my boat(20'Stingray) which according to the manufacturer weighs 3,000pds. dry + trailer.

As far as the truck goes, I love it. No offence to Dave but my last truck was a 96 Tahoe 6.5 turbo. It was a bottomless money pit. The mileage with the diesel stayed about the same - towing or not. Whereas the Dodge mileage drops considerably when towing.

Just make sure you get the tow package with a hefty tranny cooler. Also if it has overdrive make sure you disable it when towing.

Regards, Rob

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow vehicle Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
I think the engine would be ok but I would check out any info you can find on the transmission's durability. How many speeds, 4 wheel drive? I would swing for a towing package if it's available. I'm not a fan of Dodge or Rams. I read a report that the late model heavy duty models had some issues but the 1/2 ton models where doing pretty well.
D.D.

D.D. Laughing Laughing And I thought you would be a Ram Fan Laughing Laughing How silly of me. Guess you don't have to be as long as you're honest. Full disclosure and a Chevy fan too.

This is a good thread, because I'm there too. AND I like RAM, Dodge, GMC and Chev.

Have always wondered about locking out the OD. If it is not "searching" is it still necessary?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=SleepyC&id=SSC_CPR_and_Patient_255&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, when I towed with the Tahoe I figured the diesel had the torque to handle lower rpm's so I thought I was saving fuel leaving it in overdrive. After handing Mr. Transmission $2,000. for a full rebuild, I asked him about the overdrive. He told me towing in overdrive causes the tranny to build up excess heat - whether or not your engine has the torque(so as not to lug). Also fuel consumption is dependant on load as well as rpm. After the rebuild I towed a U Haul trailer out west about 1200 miles - no overdrive(higher rpm's) and on the way home - no trailer - overdrive engaged - I didn't calculate it precisely but I'm sure I used just as much fuel on the way home.

Searching is not good for the tranny either. Even momentary lugging(before the tranny can downshift) is unhealthy for the engine as well.

Regards, Rob
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you buying new? I have the hemi with MDS . Many reports say it gets the same fuel economy as the 4.7. The highway fuel economy is great. It was only a $900 to $1200 upgrade so the cost of used should be relatively close. My truck tows the boat nicely.

I went for the hemi with tow package (8500 lbs tow cap.) just to keep my future options open Wink
Will-C

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Tow vehicle Reply with quote

Everyone has their quirks. Every manufacturer has it share of losers. Chevy's earlier diesels were not good. Since 2001 or so the Duramax's enjoy a pretty good reputation along with the Allison transmissions they are paired with. I'm a brand loyal sort of guy. So I wasn't saying that all Dodge and Ram owners are total losers. Same with outboards I never owned a Mercury and probably never will (I'm old not much time left) but that does not mean I think Merc's are bad. Besides who really cares what I think. I try to be funny. My apologies if I rubbed anyone the wrong way. My sister had a Dodge Intrepid; I always loved that slogan. "This Changes Everything"
Very Happy
D.D.
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I have worked in the auto world for over 40 years and I agree - each manufacturer has their good, their bad and their ugly! My Tahoe just happened to be a real lemon. The Dakota has been just the opposite - other than maintenance in 5 years it has had minimal issues. Personally I like the way the Dakota handles and drives as opposed to the Ram.

Harvey, regarding overdrive use - I just thought of another potential issue that I have seen over the years. When you apply increased load to an engine it normally should speed up to enable it to produce the required hp within its power curve. If it cannot speed up for example because its tranny is in overdrive then it starts increasing the fuel load in an attempt to produce the required hp. This situation over time can lead to carbon buildup. I have seen engines that would not even turn over because of carbon buildup in the combustion chamber - not allowing the piston to come to tdc. This is perhaps less of a problem today with fuel injection than it was years ago with carbs.

Regards, Rob
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've towed a 5000 lb package with a three quarter ton diesel, regardless of manufacturer, you WILL wonder why you hadn't done it years ago. The difference in torque and feel and stability in wind gusts and braking and confidence that you can tow anywhere any time for any number of miles you want is way worth the possible added initial costs for the truck. Also, the initial higher costs for the diesel come back in the form of being able to put 300,000 miles plus on a well maintained truck.

As for brand, just ask truckers, and they will tell you that cummins is the engine of choice. If cummins and allison could get together, then I'd buy that combo in any brand truck.

As an aside, look carefully at a well maintained used diesel with good maintenance records and history and being sold by the brand dealer. You will pick one up that has a 100 thousand on the odo for much less than a new gas engined truck. You will be better off as your well maintained used diesel will be running strong for thousands of miles after your new gasser has expired. (Well maintained is the key work, that's why you should look at buying a used truck from the brand dealer, not from an individual or "used car" lot). I've used that technique for 30 years, and have never looked back.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On towing in overdrive: I had an older tow vehicle (not for the C-Dory) and, with no convenient way to monitor the transmission temps (and only infrequent towing, so not much motivation to go to heroic measures), I simply obeyed the owner's manual, to not tow in overdrive, 99% of the time (I still would put it in overdrive on long straightaways with slight downhill, etc.).

With my C-Dory towing rigs (both Ford van variations) I am able to run a Scangauge II, which, amongst other things, allows me to easily monitor the transmission fluid temperature. On my previous van, that temperature would creep up slowly if I towed in overdrive (although there was no hunting), so I used that as my guide. If the temp was staying low, I felt comfortable in overdrive; in situations where it would keep on creeping up, I disengaged it.

My current rig will tow in overdrive all day long and the transmission will stay cool as a cucumber. I only disengage it when on a climb where the transmission can't "see ahead" but I can, and I want to keep the RPM's up/sooner than the transmission would figure out it was time to downshift -- or on a downgrade where I am using engine braking (gas engine).

I did have the transmission somewhat "bulletproofed" at a specialty shop, plus I added a larger transmission cooler; but even before that this rig could tow in overdrive without unduly heating things up. It was mostly an elective move.

I can scarcely imagine driving now without the Scangauge II (or equivalent). Much peace of mind in having scads of data at a glance, especially when towing.
Lost Petrel

City/Region: Potter Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one thing I really like about the 2008 Tundra that I tow "Wild Blue" with, the in dash transmission temperature gauge.

It does have the tow package that allows a 10,000 # limit. This includes a tow/haul button that changes the shifting pattern of the 6 speed transmission.

I brought "Wild Blue" (fully cruise laden) down from Washington without a problem, even though the hydraulic disc brakes on the trailer were not functioning very well.

http://lostpetrel.blogspot.com/
Other boats;
Cape Dory Typhoon
Pearson Ariel
My Galleries
Will-C

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Tow vehicle Reply with quote

I have no personal experience with the truck in question but from what I have read they have the best gas powered mid sized truck mpg 18/26/21 for the two wheel drive and 17/24/21 for the four wheel drive. A 2015 Toyota similarly equipped gets 17/21/19 from what I read at Kelley Blue book. They have available WIFI and an also available 8" touch screen radio/gps and they have up to 305 hp. The two engines choices are a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder making 200 horsepower or the 3.6 liter v6 rated at 305hp. It seems like in both horsepower and torque it sounds like they best in class power wise. They seem have all the right stuff. They are coming out with a 2.8 liter diesel later this year. Chevy and GM sales are up by double digits in sales. The larger models have 5 star crash test results. I wonder how much cheaper these mid sized trucks are compared to a full sized Silverado or the GMC Sierra? My fondness for Chevy started a long time ago with the 265,283,302,327 cu inch engines. My current truck is an 09 2500 HD Duramax with 55 k on it that I pretty much only use for towing the boat. My regular ride is a Honda Civic. My current truck is my favorite vehicle of all time and has been trouble free with the exception of an exhaust temp sensor failure at about 50k miles. That just caused the engine light to go on and was quickly replaced by the Chevy dealer. It's fun to drive and plenty comfortable even towing a 6000 pound boat. Good luck in your search.
D.D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: