View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcr_pnw

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Photos: Sea Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Deterring Seals Reply with quote

For those who may have a grudge to hold against those marine mammal which not only take your fish but the $20+ in gear. While it sucks to lose a fish, its the lost money in gear that really gets ya!

http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/publications/protected_species/marine_mammals/pinnipeds/sea_lion_removals/081914_potential_deterrence_methods.pdf
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's some good info...damn sea lions...If I'm trolling for salmon those buggers will just follow you around and clean you off, I'll troll over by another boat and try to shake them off, if that doesn't work I just pack up and move.

we had just drop anchor one time in a halibut spot that is noted for troublesome sea lions and one started our way...I yelled at the deckhand to prepare to deploy the STD....an odd look came over the guests face and he said "you know what a STD is don't you?" I told him hell yes, it's a Sea lion Thumping Device as I was attaching a 10oz lead on the fishing rod & started casting at the offensive critter....he wanted to give up fishing and just play with the STD. The STD usually works, they get the idea they aren't welcome when that lead starts plopping in the water around them

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those methods might work for the pesky PWC's or even wake board boats! A little surprised that NOAA endorses some of the modalities! Such as cattle prods, sling shots etc….
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
tcr_pnw

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Photos: Sea Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Some of those methods might work for the pesky PWC's or even wake board boats! A little surprised that NOAA endorses some of the modalities! Such as cattle prods, sling shots etc….

A marine surveyor I know sent that to me. He said another client of his referred him to it and mentioned that should you chose to employ one of the more "extreme" methods (he chose paintball), keep a copy of it on the boat. He was berated by a harbormaster until he showed him the document and then was apologized to.

The one that really surprised me was the use of rubber bullets. I do like the paintball gun idea and have seen guys use it on the water before but they always did so thinking it was illegal. White the endorsement is a surprise, its kind of nice seeing NOAA acknowledge the problems seals and sea lions can pose to fishermen and offer realistic options to deter it.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nephew and some of his Navy crewmates were bored in port one time so they bought some pellet guns and started shooting at sea gulls on their off duty shifts. They were all severely reprimanded. I guess they should have been shooting at seals!! Laughing

Bob, I like your idea re. PWC's and wake board boats. I suppose they do have a purpose but around where I boat they rent them to anyone and give them a temp. license. They follow NO rules of the road and in a busy waterway they are a danger to themselves and all other boats.

Regards, Rob

SounderSolutions

City/Region: Whidbey Island
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Frequent-C
Photos: FREQUENT-C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to align myself with one of the transient orca pods. The only thing they like better than breaching right next to you and scaring the crap outta you, is the taste of fresh seal.

If an orca isn't available, i like the paintball gun. Right before I pull the trigger, I yell 'He's going for my gear!'. That satisfies the rules of engagement and I try to turn them orange from the head to the water line.

I also have video of a harbor seal checking out my gear on the down rigger. Pesky damn things.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy6EcXV6Vvw

Steve

Frequent-C (2006 Tomcat 24)
Tired Again (2011 Thundjet Luxor)
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lost gear to sea lions and for the most part once they have your fish its probably not coming home. I have a friend who did get his back.

He engaged the motor and full speed ahead tried to run the mf over. The sea lion gave up and Barney went home with his fish.

When they show up I usually pull my gear and find a different spot.

SounderSolutions

City/Region: Whidbey Island
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Frequent-C
Photos: FREQUENT-C
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1TUBERIDER wrote:

When they show up I usually pull my gear and find a different spot.

Don't let the terrorists win! Laughing
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
pesky PWC's

A few weeks ago I was on Harvey's boat tied up at a gas dock. About 5 yards in front of us at the same dock was a PWC with an old guy sitting on it. All of a sudden he comes at us full blast and rams the bow. Lucky he went under the anchor or it would have taken his head off.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
pesky PWC's .

They seem to think that they are exempt from speed restrictions and no wake zones as well. Coming into port this summer I had dropped off plane and was well inside the harbour entrance and no wake zone when a PWC flew by me and held his speed(probably 30-35mph) right up to the gas dock.

Coming out of the Turkey Point marina(which was once billed as the largest fresh water marina in North America) they like to criss cross the path of boats coming in and out of the marina to jump their wakes. I had one swerve directly in front of me one day without so much as a glance in the direction he was turning. Lucky I was not going faster and was able to avoid him.

Like Marty said though - they aren't all just kids - some are old enough to have a little more common sense. Its also unfortunate that some riders have given the entire clan a bad name.

Regards,Rob
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first part of this NOAA bulletin is directed toward aggressive behavior of the Sea Lions/seals, when on docks, swim steps, and property. The second part (where there is more aggressive action allowed by the human--such as rubber bullets, or sabot rounds)--I would think present several issues.

I also would suspect that LEO in various states/counties would have different interpretation of the guidelines depending on the local laws.

Just to be clear, I am not starting a discussion of guns on boats--but just pointing out that there are some questionable areas in this NOAA guideline.

In Florida is is permissible (but may not be socially advisable) for anyone to open carry a loaded firearm while on the way to hunting or fishing, as well as when in the action of hunting or fishing. If you are a concealed carry Permit holder, then you can basically carry loaded at any time, except in prohibited areas. My recollection is that in California that type of activity was OK 60 years ago--but no longer….As I understand it now there are far more restrictions--involving specific type of area the gun must be unloaded (perhaps except in un-unincorporated area.) But if you pull out that 410 or 45 colt, even with a Sabot or rubber bullet there are going to be some repercussions in many areas. I think if you were packing a weapon such as a .410/Colt 45 "Judge" or imitators loaded with either rubber bullets or sabot rounds, that both game wardens and local LEO would take a dim view under today's rules. (I don't have a good knowledge of Oregon or WA laws, and it has been over 20 years since I lived in Calif.)
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to use something like this in the 80s in Monterey Bay....

Marc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: