The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cracking along bottom of 22 cabin bulkhead - how to repair?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkwater

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Darkwater
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Cracking along bottom of 22 cabin bulkhead - how to repair? Reply with quote

Hi C-Brats--

Shortly after purchase of our 2008 22 in June, I noticed some fine cracking across the entire bottom of the aft side of cabin bulkhead. I attributed it to less-than-fastidous build quality (like the numerous nonstructural gelcoat cracks) and was not too concerned. After a recent rainstorm, some water ponded up against part of the crack to port, and when I tickled the crack there with a small screwdriver, bubbles came out! Not what I wanted to see, and my greatest fear was water working its way under the permanent cockpit floor. I opened about 8 inches of the crack with a screwdriver and rubber mallet. Very little water came out.

The cracking material appears to be very hard plastic resin with no reinforcing fiberglass. Bonding of this resin to the permanant cockpit floor below, and to the vertical bulkhead above, is poor. There is an air space void behind the hard material.

I think:
1. The resin may have been applied as a "bead" with some kind of gun, then smoothed over. Far too little resin was applied to fill the space behind, leaving significant air void.
2. This is a cosmetic join (though the work not pretty). The other side of this joint, inside the cabin, appears solid and is likely the structural connection of the bottom of the bulkhead to the cockpit and cabin floors.
3. Probably no water got under the permanent cockpit floor, at least no evidence from what I chipped away thus far. The permanent cockpit floor extends under the bulkhead and was probably in place (and hopefully well sealed!) before the bulkhead was glassed in.

If I grind out the cracking material and clean out the void, I think the space to fill will be about 3/8 to 1/2 inch high and 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep, along the entire base of the bulkhead.

This issue is disappointing. The boat has been only lightly used (60 hrs in SF Bay and Tahoe) by the caring prior owner. Do any of you know of this issue with other 22's?

So C-Brats, from your experience how do you recommend I proceed to correct this? Flexible sealant such as 5200? I have done some simple fiberglass reinforcement work on other boats, but if a structural join is needed with grinding, feathering, and gelcoat I should have a professional do it on this visible location on the boat.

And thank you in advance for your interest!
Doug

C-Ray 230DA sold Aug 2013
Retired Dec 2013
2008 C-Dory 22 Cruiser (unnamed) Jun 2014
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed similar cracks while tracking down some water intrusion into the cabin shortly after getting the boat. I dried with heat and airflow then used 5200 to seal the crack. I wanted the flexion in the 5200. It has worked well for several years.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicate post
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot tell from the photos, but I suspect that some caulking agent was used between the cockpit floor and the aft cabin bulkhead. The proper way to have put the aft bulkhead (deck, side decks, sides of the cabin, and splash well, as well as the fore deck are all in one molding)--this aft bulkhead should have been glassed to the bottom of the hull after the hull to deck joint was sealed. The glass tabbing should have been both inside and outside to the inside of the hull. The cockpit floor, and steps I believe are one separate piece. The sides of the cockpit floor should be glassed (tabbed) into the sides of the hull. I am not positive how your boat was built aft--it may have "pans" for the fuel tanks, and batteries, in the center, or it may have been terminated before the fuel tank/battery. If the latter is the case, it should have been glassed to the floor aft.

I would agree that you want to remove this material, where the problem is currently. You want to be sure that there is no moisture which has gotten into the aft cabin bulkhead (these are cored--I suspect by 2008, it was foam, but It still could be balsa) I would use 3M 4000, because it is resistant to UV yellowing, and will look much better down the line.

It would never be acceptable to just put a bead of gel coat, between the floorboards, and the aft cabin bulkhead, especially if someone failed to glass the bulkhead to the inner hull both front and aft, to seal the bulkhead.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pandy Girl

City/Region: Westfield, NC
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Pandy Girl
Photos: Pandy Girl
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Doug, I will try to explain what I had, 2007 22'. Had a crack where yours is, ours was sealed with somekind of sealant all way across. (The floor was not glassed to the bulk head don't know if it was suspose to be) any way water went into the crack, water got under the floor. Ours had a little void in the inside Cabin under the door, I noticed water trickling out of that Void. I had installed a seat Pestel on the floor outside. Took it out to inspect under the Floor there was water there. Dried it out & resealed the bulk head all has been Ok for about 3 years, OH I left the Void under the door (in Side the Cabin) open if any water gets under the outside floor the Void will tell me. I have heard of some put a inspection cover back between the tanks, where the front area where the drop is for the Bilge Pump is. I do have 2 Pics. showing this. If I can help any more give me a PM or Call me at 336-416-6788 Jim Jessup
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem on my 2007, seems to be a common manufacturing defect. Chipped away what I could and sealed with 4000.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: