HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

12v electric blankets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: 12v electric blankets Reply with quote

Anybody have good results using a 12v blanket or a 110 one through an inverter?

We brought our 110 blanket with us this Sept. When I plugged it into the inverter the light on the one controller started blinking(which I think indicates a problem) and the blanket did not work. The next night when we had shore power we tried it and it worked on one side only. The other side was dead(it had worked previously). My wife also had a small electric throw which worked fine until I tried it in my truck on another inverter. Same thing - it no longer works since plugging it into the inverter.

They are Sunbeam blankets - both were bought at a liquidators for cheap so it is no big loss but I am wondering did the inverter kill them? Are electric blankets and inverters not compatable? Would I be better off getting a 12v one? The 110v matress cover is rated around 100 watts on high so I was thinking on low it would be fairly power conscious.

Thoughts?
Rob

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: 12v electric blankets Reply with quote

Robert,
I used to have my own truck and hauled meat out of Chicago for a time. I had a 12vdc plug in mattress type warmer. I used to plug it in about and hour before crawling into the bunk and that worked pretty well and held up for years. It had a adjustable dial for different heat settings and a regular cigarette lighter plug. I have no idea what the electrical draw was rated at.
We stay warm in our boat while in the berth without heat. A Travasak with a large comforter on top but do use an Espar D-2 diesel heater on mornings especially when the temp falls below 40 degrees once we crawl out to make coffee.
D.D.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I have a hard time trying to understand how an inverter would take out an electric blanket. The blanket itself is just a resistive heating element and the inverter wouldn't affect that. The electronic controls for the blanket may be more sensitive to power variances but it depends on the kind of blanket and inverter. Here's a web page that discusses the use of electric blankets on inverters.
FromTheAboveWebPage wrote:

ALL heated electric blankets and mattress pads (and heated throws) bought for the United States market will function as well with FULL WAVE inverters as they do with shore power. However most brands will not work consistently with MODIFIED sine wave (MSW) inverters due to the type of control electronics they employ. Some electric blanket controllers have even been known to “fry” when connected to MSW inverters.

There is only one brand of electric blankets, electric mattress pads and electric throws that we have found to consistently test well with MSW inverters. It is the SoftHeat Low Voltage™ line of heated products from Perfect Fit Industries in Charlotte, NC.

As for 12V electric blankets, we have a couple. They work well but most are designed to automatically shut off after 15-30 minutes of use so that you don't drain the batteries. We used them as lap blankets (for the wife) while cruising around and she just hits the reset button as needed. For sleeping, they're useful to pre-warm the bed but not for the full night due to the auto shutoff feature. We've found that with a good blanket, pre-warming the bed worked just fine.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a heated mattress pad on 120 or 12v with a small inverter. I draws a bit over 100 watts and has not caused us any trouble over this first year of use. I actually may take it off the boat as we find its effect to be minimal on our comfort level. The wallas 1300 heater is the real hero for us and when at a dock, we do have a very small shore power heater ceiling mounted in the berth to take the chill off up there.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have run 110V electric blankets off a pure sine wave inverter (for short timesI), but in the RV, where we have much greater battery capacity. In the boats, even in AK, we always piled on more blankets.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the replies. After going on the website Roger provided the link to I think the problem is my modified sine wave inverters. It says they have been known to fry the controllers on electric blankets. It does say there is one blanket that will work with msw inverters - Soft Heat I think it was called. We do carry ample comforters, blankets, etc. with us but it is nice to pre warm it then shut it off. We found it good to put a heavy comforter under us as well - the vinyl cuddy cushions seem to stay cold all night!

I do have a pure sine wave inverter for my house - Trace sw2512, but at over 90 pounds and $4,000.(when I bought it in 2002) - I think it would be a little bit of overkill for a 20 foot boat!! Laughing

Regards, Rob
Lollygaggin

City/Region: Kelowna
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Rob,

As for 12V electric blankets, we have a couple. They work well but most are designed to automatically shut off after 15-30 minutes of use so that you don't drain the batteries. We used them as lap blankets (for the wife) while cruising around and she just hits the reset button as needed. For sleeping, they're useful to pre-warm the bed but not for the full night due to the auto shutoff feature. We've found that with a good blanket, pre-warming the bed worked just fine.

Where can I buy those 12vdc blankets. I think they would be perfect for the cooler weather out here.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are pretty easy to find, even locally sometimes.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200489364_200489364?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Heaters%2C%20Stoves%20%2B%20Fireplaces-_-Electric%20Heaters-_-716957&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=716957&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=716957&gclid=CM_4sLKN0sECFQqEfgodUxQAcA
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Amazon has everything.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider these as an eco friendly, low power alternative.
1. Flannel sheets
2. Fleece PJ's, (pants and sweatshirt)
3. Fuzzy socks
4. Hot water bottle, filled at the marina or with left over hot rinse water stuffed into the sack a while before crawling in.
5. Laughing Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flannel or fleece sheets seem to alleviate the " cold sheet syndrome" when getting into a cold bed for me. Have some fleece sheets I got at Costco 2 years ago. They're quite luxurious--along with a comforter I'm cozy--don't need a heater at night. Even when boater homing last winter with temps in low 30s was fine. Turned the heater off at bed time--did use a 2nd comforter though. Worst part was getting out of bed in the AM!
Because I was where I was
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the potty break at 2AM that gets me!
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just checking out electric blankets on different websites. They actually have a mattress pad that heats and/or cools! Apparently down to 46deg. F. They were designed for RV's and boats. A bit pricey though at $900.00 for the double size. Touted as using less power and quieter than running an AC unit. Says they use 150 watts on high and about 80 watts average.

Anybody tried or heard of them?

Rob
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this it?

A lot cheaper than that here.
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, I can't seem to re find the website I was on last night but it was similar to the blanket your "here" link took me to. Twice the price though!

Not thinking of getting one myself, but for those in a warmer climate??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: