Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: MOKAI? Reply with quote

I know that at least one member, Jay, has a MOKAI and I'd like to hear from him or any other owners about their thoughts and experiences with these little boats. Now that MINNIE is gone I need a new "unique" interest and am considering one for the Mississippi River backwaters. Thanks.

It's something in the water!
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their a great little boat that would be perfect for exploring the back waters. The new model that they just started shipping comes apart in three pieces and nests in the center section. I have one on order I'm looking forward to a call that it is shipping.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary- Since the response is slow, you may want to put "Mokai" into the search feature and read what has already been said about them.

There are 79 threads that have a reference to Mokais in them.

It's one of those things that's easy to research since it has a unique word with which to search, unlike "dinghy", windlass", or "propeller pitch".

I know you probably know all this, but I just thought it would be a good example for some of the new folks looking for information of various types.

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have checked that first. Thanks for the kind and tactful nudge. I often wonder why other folks don't research before starting new threads and now here I am doing the same thing. The best advice and information a person can get is from this group.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to the mfg site and some really cool info on the new, 3 piece Moki-ES-Kape. Looks like a pretty neat 3 piece suit for special needs. I was impressed with this for a C-Dory alternate or adjunct.

http://www.mokai.com/the-mokai-es-kape/

I am curious about the salt water affect on these, and how effective rinsing with fresh water would be.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe we've had this many discussion on this, and I've missed every one of them. That thing looks COOL! Now I'm off Googling for davits...

Would love to try one out. For those who own them - how is the noise? More or less than a small dink outboard? It's always tough to judge such things from YouTube.

And, like Harvey mentioned - how do they hold up in salt water? If taking along on a cruise, freshwater rinses might be far and few between...

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: MOKAI? Reply with quote

We had one of the earlier models with the 5hp Honda. It weighed 100 pounds with out the motor and 150 pounds with the motor. I picked it up at the factory in New York. The designer said they were designed to last ten years before really needing anything. Ours ran in 4" of water and you just wanted to keep it from sucking up leaves or sea grass as that would clog the intake. Simple to fix just clear the intake area. but clogging the intake would slow it down. The motor is air cooled and they are not too noisy. Jay has a newer one now which is faster and powered by a Subaru engine. Rinsing off the salt water should be all that required. The motor turns a vaned pump that is stone simple and comes apart without tools. It sucks up water and the pump blows it out the back nozzle which pivots and that's how it turns by the nozzle pivoting which is controlled by a pivoting handle that has a twist grip throttle. The pump's shaft had a grease fitting and is connected to the motors crank shaft by a splined slip fitting. Pretty simple to maintain. Motors could be removed without tools. Nicely made with quality components. We sold ours as things changed for us but the guy who bought it went up the Hudson river from NYC to Erie canal. and had no trouble. He loves it.
D.D.

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill, Me too:
Quote:
"Can't believe we've had this many discussion on this, and I've missed every one of them...."

I have been clear through the Mokai web site and there is one little address to Salt Water use:

From their FAQ
Quote:
"Can the MOKAI be used in a salt-water environment?

The MOKAI watercraft can be operated in salt water. We recommend removing the engine from the craft after salt water use and rinsing with fresh water then apply a light spray of Corrosion Block. In addition, flush the pump and rinse any areas that came in contact with the salt water.

To me, this seems maybe a little simplified, even as easy as the video looks.

I agree Bill, I have been missing something.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
Can't believe we've had this many discussion on this, and I've missed every one of them. That thing looks COOL! Now I'm off Googling for davits...

Would love to try one out. For those who own them - how is the noise? More or less than a small dink outboard? It's always tough to judge such things from YouTube.

And, like Harvey mentioned - how do they hold up in salt water? If taking along on a cruise, freshwater rinses might be far and few between...

Bill, the Mokai is really cool! Jay let me take his for a spin a couple of times. I've been thinking about how to get one on the boat deck of the Nordic...

Compared to my 10' RIB with 2 stroke 9.9hp Yamaha, the Mokai is louder and slower. But, it can go places the RIB can't, like way up creeks.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Web site: noise level 88 dB at full throttle - (a Honda EU 1000 is about 59 dB), so the noise is significant. The cost quoted is about $4800 plus shipping. Weight of the entire rig together is about 136 lbs--and the heaviest part is about 80 lbs. The new boat in 3 pieces nests in the cockpit.

I would be interested, (weight is an issue--but davits could take care of that…)but I really wonder how compatible it would be with two people of my and Marie's size (180/6'2", 125/5'8")? It looks small--and too bad they didn't make it compatible with just a little more room…???

I didn't take up Jay's offer of a taking his for a test ride, because of the size & weight--but it sure is appealing…I also thought it was more expensive! The new 3 piece boat does have a lot of appeal. A Hobie Kayak costs from $$2200 to over $6200! So that puts the Mokai in the game!

Thanks for bringing this up.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Gary, I do have a Mokai. The 2011 model & it is my third one. In salt water I have towed it behind our 22CD for very near 6000 miles & altogether around 10,000. I don't know exactly how many miles I have ran them, but it is several thousand & many of these miles were in very remote areas in Southeast Alaska where I doubt any other boats have been before or since unless it's another Mokai. For fun returned on amount of dollars spent they have still been the best investment in my life. When our C-Dory days end, the plan is to have two of the new Mokai's carried on or in our jeep & towed by our truck camper to continue our exploration & adventuring in remote places.

To find more about the Mokai, you can do as others suggested & do a internet & C-Brat search, but perhaps first, view the close to a dozen videos, I've posted of it in action on the Grand Adventure Forum. Also in the Grand Adventure Forum, I have posted write ups of our 2007, 10 & 12 Alaska cruises, along with many photos in my album, where the Mokai is prominent.

Another Mokai enthusiast I know is Steve Oberto, the owner of Maximo a large trawler, who I first met In Red Bluff Bay, Southeast Alaska in 2007 & then again in Sitka, in 2010, where I noticed he then had two Mokai's aboard along with a RIB, & his 14 foot C-Dory dingy. Photos of the Maximo with C-Dory Dingy & Mokai are in my album, sub album "Alaska Wilderness Cruise 2007". I would post it here, but I'm on the IPad & can't seem make it work.

Jay

hardee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, I hope this is the one you are speaking of. (I took the liberty, hope this works Embarassed

Another one from Jays album. This one is Cool -- really.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link where Jay and JoLee are towing me through 50 mile canyon at Lake Powell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gQop2P3aHA

And here is one in Secret canyon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efv7-f8OSs4

Got to be one of the best boats for exploring Lake Powell and just seeing how far you can go before you get jammed somewhere. It sound just like a lawn mower, but nothing a couple of ear plugs can't solve.

Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to derail the thread, but I wonder with all the talk of noise, what the numbers would be for an electric version of the Mokai (prop based - may defeat the whole purpose):
    Hull efficiency seems to be fairly optimized
    Would be nice to still be able to go 15mph or so
    How long would a bank of batteries that fit in the engine bay last?
    ...at 15mph?
    ...at 5mph?
    How fast would said batteries charge from an EU2000 and inverter?
    Googling "electric jet drive" DOES turn up some links (http://wavejet.com/about-us)

Just wonderin.......
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, yes that's it & thanks. That paddle in the other photo you brought up was given to me by the Harbor Master in Pelican, Alaska after I lost mine in a rapid on the Black River, which is in the Chichagof Island Wilderness area on the open gulf of Alaska side.

Jody, seeing your video again makes me look forward even more to another Powell Gathering this fall. We have sure had some fantastic Mokai runs there. I wished one of us would have got some video of our getting trapped in the quick sand at the head of Escalante. I'm also looking forward to seeing your new Mokai in action. I'll be having trouble keeping up with you.

Ray, a battery powered Mokai would be sweet, but only if powering the jet drive.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: