The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What Inverter to use for heater while motoring
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccml

City/Region: Montoursville, PA
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Crystal Sea
Photos: Crystal C
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: What Inverter to use for heater while motoring Reply with quote

I am looking for an inverter recommendation for my electric west marine heater to use while we are motoring. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Heater Product Description
Melt away the morning chill!
This ultra-quiet heater is perfect for boats, homes and offices. Versatility and simplicity with three heat settings-1500W (5200Btu), 900W (3120Btu) and “energy saver” 600W (2080Btu), which draws just 5A. Adjustable thermostat control keeps you comfortable. Antifreeze setting automatically turns on when temperature drops to 38°F. Overheat protector will not clog with dust or dirt.

Heat Source: AC Electric
Draw: 5A-13A
Btu: 5200Btu @ 1500W, 3120Btu @ 900W, 2080Btu @ 600W
Material: Aluminum & Plastic
Dimensions: 11-1/4"L x 5"H x 8"D
Warranty: Three years

Thanks for any help. Never had an inverter before. Not sure how many watt inverter to get.

Mark and Carol
(Crystal Sea)
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't sound like a good idea. It looks like you have a Honda 135 which puts out 40 amps of power when running above 2000 rpm. Even at 600 watts, the electric heater will draw 5 amps of 120 volt power or 50 amps of 12 volt power (Watts = Amps x Volts). Practically speaking power consumption will actually be higher because of inverter inefficiencies. At 1500 watts you'd draw 130 amps of 12 volt power!

And you'll have other electrical loads: electronics, battery charging, refrigeration, etc.

Save the electric heat for when you're hooked up to shore power. Diesel heat is a much better option when away from shore power/generator power.

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would not recommend an electric heater like this on an outboard powered boat. On high this heater would probably draw over 100 amps from the 12 v source. The alternators on most outboards will not support this draw. You would run your batteries down very quickly and possibly damage your alternator.

I did use a Tassimo on my boat this summer. It is rated for 13 amps and drew just under 100 amps from the 12 v source. 100 amps is the max that my invertor is rated to handle. Making a coffee only takes a minute though so the draw is only for a short time. I also have an inboard which has a 75 amp. alternator.

Just my 2 cents
Rob

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Don't do it.

I would only "try" it if the heater was tiny (200 watts) and your battery system was large and your motor was running and you could live with "spot" heating only. The results would be less than satisfying.

Better off getting a cheap little 12v heater like this: http://tweetys.com/ceramicheater12v200w.aspx?gclid=CPHVkte7xMECFQ9cfgodd5AA4g

or this

http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPSL-681-Direct-Hook-Up-Ceramic/dp/B0013TM0Z0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414125478&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+heaters

Still not ideal but can do some warming without the losses associated with inverter 12v-120v operation.

I would still run these mainly when the motor is running and not leave them un-attended.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
mccml

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help. I will look at other possibilities for heat while motoring.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: What Inverter to use for heater while motoring Reply with quote

I would look at Espar D-2 diesel heater or a Wesbasto diesel heater and my third choice would be some sort of a Wallas diesel heater only or a combo heater cooktop. I would believe any of these would add value to your boat if you ever decided to part with in it. JMHO
D.D.

AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only inverter that I would use to run a 1500w heater comes attached to a Honda eu2000i generator. Everything else is just too ... problematic.

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar desires when I first got my boat since I don't have the normal Wallas stove/heater combo. I ran an electric heater via Honda generator occasionally, primarily to defog the windows in the winter months here in the PNW. But I always had an uneasy feeling doing that so I'd only do it when things got really bad inside.

I then decided to bite the bullet and install a Webasto diesel heater. It has been, without a doubt, the best upgrade I've done to my boat. Now I just get on my boat, flip a switch, set the desired temp via digital thermostat and forget about it.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a White Westinghouse, ceramic heater I bought a few years ago at a WalMart--on "low" it uses about 530 watts, and goes slowly from 200 to 530 watts. I have run this off the Honda EU 1000, and even on low, it does a decent job of heating either the C Dory 22, or even the interior of our RV in moderate cool temps on low.

This would use about 45 amps on 12 volts, thru an inverter--and I would buy a 1500 watt MSW inveter--cheap type, if you had to have this this--although I would agree with my comrades above, that it is not a wise idea, unless there is no other option.

We use the Wallas stove, as a heater, with an ECO fan--and that works reasonably well--as a dual purpose stove/heater. (even in Alaska with a C Dory 25).

The problem is that most of the C Dorys come with a group 24 battery--maybe 60 to 80 amp hour capacity (usable 50% of that, or you will begin to deplete the battery in less than an hour to a point of damage! With the engine running, if you have a 40 amp alternator, you will have about 30 available, and maybe get half an hour. If you had to do this, then consider going to two group 31 batteries (about 110 amp hours each--or usable 110 amp hours from the two batteries. You will then want a VSR to get reliable charging….and a long use of high output may not be the best for the alternator life span….

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
mccml

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all of the comments. The past 8 seasons we did not feel the need for a heater because I was still teaching and did our boating from June to August. Now that I am retired, we can now go anytime! (Hopefully to the Cdory gathering on the St Johns River in February). I would get a diesel heater, but I just purchased a custom made camperback. I have to watch the retirement budget. So for the present time, I will use our Honda EU 2000 generator to power our electric heater for warmth.
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good solution. Thumbs Up
laila_67

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey buddy, you can take help from Honda generator Atlanta dealer. I also bought my super quite Honda generator from the same store and the dealer fixed all my issues. They are really supportive.
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think outside the box completely on everybodies heating. For a year I have been using a Mr Buddy it uses a small propane tank and cost about $100. It has all the safety features and really works well. I back packed all my life and have found just about all of my packing equipment works very well on a small boat and does not have the word "Marine"
attached to it to give it the 200% mark up.

C&PBerkeley

City/Region: Eastern Shore
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: christyanne
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my C Dory in Nov, the prior owner did not like the Wallis heater, stove that came with boat and sold it. He had installed an inverter he used to power a really small fridge, I removed the fridge, and tried small space heater, the numbers don"t add up, bought heater buddy from wallmart, crack a window helps in keeping windows from fogging, works ok about 35 dollars. The inverter will run small crock pot. Out four of five last days on CB, put 65 hours on boat so far, love it paul Berkeley Onancock Va
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I used a Mr. Heater Little Buddy Heater when on the boat in Dec. It takes the chill off nicely but is kind of localized. Worked ok on the boat when it was 32 deg F.

The Little Buddy is bigger than it looks. It has a tilt sensor that cuts it off if tips over. If you move it while it is operating you have to be careful or you will actuate this switch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: