View previous topic :: View next topic  
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Help identifying stove Reply with quote

Can anybody here identify this stove? I can't quite make out the name...

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use your cell phone camera and take a pic then enlarge it.
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Seaward Princess (butane).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seaward-Princess-1-Burner-Built-In-Butane-Stove-/201199197005?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2ed8681b4d&vxp=mtr
AK Angler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for the font, that certainly looks like the same one. Thanks, Ray!

I was thinking it said "Primus", but I can now see that it says "Princess".
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one of these stoves before my Powell trip. Although I went for the variant with a flush/hinged stainless lid vs. the wooden cutting board insert, which it looks like the one above would have. I had been using a portable stove that takes the same canisters. I still the portable aboard (for a spare and/or for cooking outside the cabin), but I really liked the Princess. Flush lid so the counter top is usable for other things when not cooking on it (without a hump to make things tip over when you set them half on and half off), and when in use the pan is set down in slightly for a bit of a fiddle effect. Best of all it will adjust down to very low simmer.

Downsides are that it seems silly expensive for what it is (the fit/finish/sharp edges - encountered when installing/removing cartridges- are a bit disappointing), and it still has the various disadvantages of the butane cartridges. I had used one on a friend's boat though, so knew what to expect. Nice thing is it pretty much dropped right into the cutout from the former Wallas 95 (I had to add a couple of wooden strips to "smallen" it very slightly, but they are covered by the stainless flange).

I may go to something better eventually (such as a "real" propane system), but in the meantime, I'm pleased overall.
AK Angler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the Princess, Sunbeam. I'm currently right in the middle of installing a new Webasto 30Dt heater in my Cape Cruiser because the Wallas 800 single burner stove (with a blower lid) that it came with just isn't going to cut it as a heater for winter cruising up here in Alaska. So, I'm casually looking at a more ... effective ... stove to replace the W-800 for cooking in the cabin.

I'm not sure exactly what I'll end up with eventually, but for now I'll keep using what I have. That is, until I get fed up waiting so long for my coffee and bacon in the mornings. If (when) that finally happens, I do have a 2-burner Coleman stove that I can set on top of the W-800. It takes the same one-pound propane bottles as the grill that I have mounted in the cockpit. And, although I can't see myself buying a bigger diesel stove, I'm pretty sure I don't want to carry another type of fuel on board, either (butane). Hey, maybe one day I'll have a real propane system, too. Or, maybe I'll just rip out the W-800, fill in the hole in the counter, and keep using the Coleman...
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: butane Reply with quote

FYI about those butane cannisters a friend had a fire in the stove the butane cannister seals went bad (corrosion,rust etc) and when they tried to operate the stove it went up in flames .They put the fire out and were told to make sure you put new cannisters in never just leave cannisters in for long periods of time .
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend NEVER to leave the canisters installed when the stove is not in use. NEVER store them inside the cabin.

As soon as I am done with the stove, mine go back out into the cockpit in a PVC storage container:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=264536

There is also a rubber seal at the tops of the canisters that can dry out. If it gets too dried out, it can leak while in the stove. Some have suggested a little oil on these seals to keep them from drying out.

JMO,
Ray
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, agreed with the above. Those are some of what I consider the disadvantages (some risk, need to remove, butane not as good in cold weather, disposable, etc.) A "real," properly done propane system is superior in many ways. For now I stow the canisters in the port lazarette, which has a sealed lid and drains overboard.

Another note, and I'm not completely clear on this though: I think the KISS brand stoves, which are similar (but not the exact same? not sure), had some issues and were either recalled or it was suggested to no longer use them or something. This is a "don't quote me on that" thing as I only vaguely remember that.

Another note, on the portable versions: I had one I bought at REI. Looked just like a clone of all the rest of that type. It would just not simmer. You could turn it down, but the minute you let go of the knob it would go back to a higher flame - just a bit too high to simmer. Very irritating.

When I was at Sure Marine this summer (highly recommended) I mentioned it. (I was looking at "real" propane units for future use/planning.) They had a Princess brand portable that looked just like they all do (clone like look), but they said it would simmer. I was skeptical. They opened one right up and demoed it for me Thumbs Up It did simmer - turned right down to a super low flame. I bought one on the spot (that is now my portable/spare - takes same canisters as stove in this thread). As a side bonus the Princess ones (portable and in-counter) have the gas shut off if the flame goes out, as I understand it (I don't think the usual/clone ones do?).
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
<some deletions>

Another note, and I'm not completely clear on this though: I think the KISS brand stoves, which are similar (but not the exact same? not sure), had some issues and were either recalled or it was suggested to no longer use them or something. This is a "don't quote me on that" thing as I only vaguely remember that.

See: Major Kenyon Kiss malfunction

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the thread I had read about it in. I don't have a KISS, so can't comment from direct experience on that specific brand, is all.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side bonus the Princess ones (portable and in-counter) have the gas shut off if the flame goes out, as I understand it (I don't think the usual/clone ones do?).[/quote]

Sunbeam, you are correct - I have a Princess and it has a thermocouple or "flame safe devise" - if the wind blows out the flame it shuts off the butane. You also have to hold the knob after you light it until the thermocouple heats up. I would say they are worth the extra $ to have a little extra safety on a boat.

My Stingray has a sink under the cushions in the cuddy. Since I never use it as such, I started putting my butane cartridges in it for day trips. It is somewhat sealed and has an overboard drain/vent. For longer cruises I use a cooler on the swim platform to store my propane and butane - protects them, insulates them and the drain(left open) provides a vent. You have to wrap or cushion them with something so they don't bang around together and spark.

Regards, Rob

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we've got to talking a bit more about the stoves, I thought I'd add a couple of photos of the one I recently put in. It's a Princess, like the one in the original "identify this" photo, but seems to be a less common variation.

I had originally used the one shown up top (on a friend's boat). It's not shown above, but it usually has a wooden cutting board with it that slots into the top. It was fine, but not my favorite for a couple of reasons. One is that I had to find a "home" for a loose block of wood when cooking; and two was that it did not sit flush when in cutting board mode, so the counterspace was slightly less useful (to me anyway).

When I was shopping around, I kept noticing an alternative mentioned with a flush/stainless top. This piqued my interest but I could never find a photo of it (even on their website), but rather only photos of the more usual cutting board version. I did finally manage to find a couple of photos in an ad for a used one for sale. I liked what I saw and so bought (a new) one.

The lid sits basically flush when down, then flips up when cooking. The "hinge" is simply a metal rod that pokes into two holes on the sides, so it looks to me like it would be removable, should one choose to (I think other than those two holes and the lid coming with it, it's the same as the cutting board version).

I had to add a couple of thin wooden strips to the hole left over from the Wallas 95, but that was pretty simple. You can still see a few fastener holes from it around the perimeter, but the flange of the Princess mostly covers it up. I could imagine putting in a new/different countertop surface some day.

Anyway, just figured someone might like to see the "elusive" stainless topped version.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: