City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I'll bet that the new Jags are just as dependable as the old ones.

Boris, the XF came in at #6 in US news in large Luxury cars, with reliability in the well above average, and the XJ #10 in super luxury cars, with above average liability. That is far above what Jag used to be--especially when the XK 150 was "king". I never drove an XK150, but one of my buddies had a XK 140, (at the time I owned a Sunbeam Alpine Tiger), and I was not impressed with the Jag. It had much harder steering than the Alpine.. Maybe the XK150 was a better car. Yes I suffered thru one MG (actually Lucas was the problem--not the car on engine).

The point is, the despite overall ownership of Jaguar and Land Rover, by Tata, (a privately owned--not state owned company). it is still a car produced in the same factories, and in England--not in India.

I have a little more insight into the Jaguar situation, since my son in law is the North American Managing Director of the advertising agency for Jaguar, and he not only has one of the latest Jag models, but flies to England monthly to meet with the staff there and regularly test drives all models. Incidentally my son in law is ethnically Indian, but is as "American" as you can find having migrated here legally when young. I believe you will find that those folks who build the current Jaguar will tell you it is an "English" car--not an "Indian" car.

Regards.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: New quick brake advice Reply with quote

Slow, complicated infotainment system
Limited rear-seat headroom

Recalls

There have been 4 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.

STEERING:HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST:HOSE, PIPING, AND CONNECTIONS
Recall Date: 06/30/2014

SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FLUID
Recall Date: 06/01/2014

ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Recall Date: 03/30/2014

SUSPENSION:REAR
Recall Date: 03/30/2014

You really can't own one these, you just get visiting privileges.

Mr. Green
D.D.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was wondering what was going on about Jaguar. From what I could see none of those luxury cars, except maybe the Japanese, are maintenance free. Not that I've had direct experience. But at any hospital, look at the doctors parking ares: Lexus.

Bob, without all those nasty old Jaguars, there wouldn't have been a 2014 Jag. Those Jags of the 50's and 60's were truly great cars for going fast, certainly not for getting groceries. They did well in Le Mans and other races both in the XK and E series. No, they weren't easy to drive but, boy did they go. And certainly they didn't have recalls for power steering, because they didn't have any. I say this as an observer, I couldn't afford them then and don't want to now. I'll stick with boats and bikes.

How the British managed to inflict Lucas on us, I don't know. It must not rain in England, because the MG doesn't run in the rain. And changing the oil filter certainly taught you a few new words. "Good" wasn't one of them.

Boris
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: new quick brake advice Reply with quote

Having had some British motorcycles we called Larry(sic) Lucas the Prince of Darkness. Headlight bulbs always failed or any other Lucas electric part could or did fail.
Tom,
Check out www.trailerpartssuperstore.com for different types of Kodiak brake equipment for sale. Good service but maybe better prices elsewhere.

I my self would never buy a Jaguar. I always liked Porsche. I'd buy a new Porsche Panamera if I hit the lottery.

Man, we beat up this thread pretty bad.
D.D.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll go along with not buying a Jaguar; not that it's a bad car (I'm not going there again,) but my time has passed.

However, if we're going to discuss German stuff, that's another story (thread?) At this moment, there's another subject "Design Headaches" and it makes me think of how the Germans design. Thier designs are things of beauty and are wonderful. Until you try to use them in real life. I tried racing a German 2-stroke, a Sachs. Handled well, sturdy, but when you shifted it in the middle of a race, it didn't. Turns out that the mechanism was such a wonderful thing, that it only shifted when it was perfectly adjusted AND handled delicately. So you went out and bought a kit that generated and tolerated slop. Finally broke my leg on it and sold it. No more German stuff.

So, while the Porsche is truly a magnificent car, I'm not the driver for which it's intended. I don't drive with finesse, to put it mildly.

And, by the way, a Mini is now a German car and sells like hot cakes.

Do we want to go on to French cars? I owned a Renault, long, long ago.

Boris
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
However, if we're going to discuss German stuff, that's another story (thread?) At this moment, there's another subject "Design Headaches" and it makes me think of how the Germans design. Thier designs are things of beauty and are wonderful. Until you try to use them in real life.

Man...I love German auto design. I'll disagree with the above, and do my part to take this thread further off topic. Mr. Green

Got rid of the last one a few years back, but we had three MBZ's - awesome cars, wife and I miss them dearly. My wrenching skills are typical backyard variety, I'm certainly no pro - but I did all the maintenance on those cars myself, and it was always a joy. Avoiding the dealership kept the cost of ownership very reasonable.

Take your typical MBZ oil change...the dip stick tube is flared at the top, and goes right to the bottom of the oil pan. A simple rubber plug goes in the flare, and the dipstick tube itself is used to suck the oil out via a vacuum cannister attached to my compressor. Next, and typically right up front and on top - the oil filter housing unscrews, a canister oil filter is removed (empty of oil, as it drains downward), and you're left with a massive hole in which you pour the replacement oil - no funnel, no muss. Replace filter, done.

No climbing under the car, didn't even change out of street clothes. A pair of disposable gloves and 15 minutes, all done.

Contrast that to my current Honda Element...one needs to be a contortionist to get the oil filter off. Some dope thought it wise to put it on the back side of the engine at the bottom, but only accessible from the top. After getting the unique combination of filter wrench, universal joint and ratchet that barely fits in the tight area, one gets to belly over the hot valve cover, which is a minor concern because the real enemy is the exhaust pipe next to the oil filter that wants to scald the skin off your forearms when you touch it. It's like playing a game of Operation (you old timers know that one), only there's no buzzer - just lasting scars. And, if you think your punishment has ended - nice try. The oil from the filter has no clear path down to the drain pan. Nope...it nicely covers the frame and axle as it drains down, leaving you with a fun chore on your back with a rag...which you can never quite clean up completely, given the nooks/crannies it works its way into.

And then, there's the Honda creaks/rattles/leaks...the Benzes drove almost like new when sold, all well over 10 years old and each with 125K+ on the odometers.

The Honda always gets me where I need to go, and it is indeed functional - I'll drive it until it drops. Still, the different priorities of Honda engineers compared to their German counterparts have been pretty obvious to me.

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
It's like playing a game of Operation (you old timers know that one), only there's no buzzer - just lasting scars.

Ha ha! Perfect description of so many of this type of task Cry
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a Jaguar1966 3.8S sedan. Traded a 1965 Corvette for it because we had family visiting in Monterey CA. when I was in Graduate school (sure miss the 'vette!). All was well until the starter conked out, I've done that job but the engine had to be Un-bolted and lifted to do it on a Jag...couldn't even lay a hand on it w/o doing that..

Then it quit on my bride one warm day at the commissary with a boot load of groceries at Ft. Ord and had to be towed to the shop. The shop foreman pointed proudly to all the Jaguars up on the lifts. She was unimpressed and said so in few words!

Needless to say, that was the end of the Jag. Next ride was a 1964 VW bus!

Our new Road King trailer is just great. Putting the boat on it for the winter very soon for the complete Garmin changeout!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: