View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: new quick brake advice Reply with quote

Hi, I am going thru what many of you have gone thru. Replacing all of my tie down brakes calipers and disc. while shopping on line I have noticed that the Kodiak and titans require 1500 psi . My old pump , that I just replaced is a 1200psi??? that is what was on the trailer before. with this work?

I have to say that this is a nightmare. I can not believe that such crappy design was every allowed on the road. Unless i am a complete tool it looks like you have to remove the disc and calipers from the trailer to change the pads????????? w.t.f.??????? I have the tie down 81104 units on the trailer now, which you can't get parts for. or at lest i cant find them.

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the PSI requirement, but don't you have a Hydrastar?

If so, and you find out you do need 1500 PSI - my guess is they can update your unit pretty easily. The one I just purchased from them was essentially made to order, and when we discussed the PSI issue they stated it's nothing more than a valve. Might even be a DIY swap for somebody with clue.

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yes I just bought a new silver box, they got rid of the gold, for $500?? set to 1200. it was a rebuild. this is just nuts.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: new quick brake advice Reply with quote

I believe the 1600 psi unit is required or at least recommended for disc brakes. We have Kodiaks and remove the calipers by removing the two bolts they float on to change the brake pads. I'm talking east coast. I have no idea what goes on out there! Mr. Green
D.D.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll be dipped. The Tye Down 81104 manual certainly says to remove the hub and calipers to change pads. Looking at the parts diagram, apparently the bolts that hold the caliper to the backing plate are studs. I also note that those calipers are twin piston, whilst those I'm used to are single piston.

Tye Down sells an aluminum caliper, so maybe all they can stand is 1200 psi. I'd check with the factory.

The E-Z Loader trailer under Journey On has Reliable hubs and Kodiak calipers. To replace the pads, I just pull 2 bolts that hold the calipers to the backing plate, pry out the caliper, etc, etc, etc. Same as on the Toyota, Ford and Chevvie. So I don't know what's going on.

Let us know what's going on after you change the pads. You might be able to replace those studs ( if that's what they are) with normal bolts. And thanks for the warning.

Boris

Last edited by journey on on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Jag XJ series you had to remove the rear axles to change the brake pads, so maybe you're getting off easy.
journey on

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol, That part of England is now out of business and you've just identified why. I owned a Rover with a (gasp) De Dion rear end, inboard calipers and it didn't last long enough to require a caliper change.

And now Jaguar is owned by India. Must say something.

Boris, ex-British bike and auto owner.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did the Brits quit making TV's?

Customers wouldn't tolerate oil leaks in the living room.

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all six calipers are off and i doubt that one of them is worth keeping. The caliper mounting studs are studs that the caliper floats on that can not be removed with out removing the disc. 4 out of 6 have the rear pin bent so bad that the pin will not come out unless I use a punch and a hammer. Also note that the 4, count them 4, bolt that hold the caliper together and must be removed to replace the inside pad aill not come out at all on most of them. I have beat heated beat sprayed and beat one pad to death trying to get one bolt out.

Good news is that tie down makes a new caliper with a mounting plate that will allow me to use the rotors I have already. Now just to find the right price.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Why did the Brits quit making TV's?

Customers wouldn't tolerate oil leaks in the living room.

Snerk Laughing
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom-

Champion Trailers in Louisiana handles Tie-Down and other trailer parts at the lowest prices I've ever found.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf,
Thanks for posting the link to Champion Trailers... Something that is a worthwhile read for every trailer boater is their featured article on disc verses drum brakes.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
journey on

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssbol,

You might look at Kodiak calipers . I've had good luck with them. I think calipers are somewhat interchangeable. To be sure, I'd call the vendor or Kodiak factory.

I got the Kodiak Dacromet coated calipers and they've held up better that I thought they would. How's that for an unambiguous statement?

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
ssobol, That part of England is now out of business and you've just identified why. I owned a Rover with a (gasp) De Dion rear end, inboard calipers and it didn't last long enough to require a caliper change.

And now Jaguar is owned by India. Must say something.

Boris, ex-British bike and auto owner.

I realize that this is a side track--but I must correct what was noted by Boris. Jag and Land Rover are still designed an built in the same area and plants where they were traditionally built in England. Tata Motors (Mr. Tata is a citizen of India, but the company is a multi national) paid over 2.3 billion US dollars for Jag/Land Rover et al to Ford Motors in 2008 @ a loss of about 4 billion for Ford! Tata has established an Automotive design Center with over 100 million dollars of funding at Warwick University (in the area where Jag and Land Rover are built in England). Dr. Wolfgang Ziebart was appointed Director Group Engineering Jaguar Land Rover as of August 1, 2013. Dr Ziebart was a major director in BMW for the last 23 years. Did the old Jags have reliability issues--absolutely. Today's Jaguar is an entirely different breed, and far more reliable as one of the better luxury cars, consistently placing in the top 10 luxury cars. Now back to trailer brakes.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, Bob, let's discuss what you said. The brake issue should be over, so let's talk about English cars.

First, Jaguar and Land Rover. Notice it's not Rover, but Land Rover, the cars have been separated and killed. For good reason, beautiful, great handling, nice to ride in (for the 60's) but a bit short in dependability.

And Jaguar has soldiered on. Now owned by Tata Motors, certainly a multinational company, but proud to call themselves Indian on their website. Bought from Ford, another multinational company, but one identified with the USA. And you make a good point, the sooner we understand that these companies are multinational and not dedicated to any one nation, the better off we'll be.

Now I never owned a Jaguar, spending my money on sending a couple of wives to art school, but I did go through several MG's. Yes these still are being made, in England, but by another multinational: SAIC Motor Corporation Limited is a Chinese state-owned automotive manufacturing company headquartered in Shanghai, China. They also have a partnership with GM, yet another multinational. And SAIC also has a research centre in England, one assumes a popular status symbol, though their cars are only assembled in the Misty Isle. SAIC appears to have killed the Rover car brand.

And, of course, Chrysler is a subsidy of FIAT, another multinational from Italy. I once was in partnership with a wife who came with a Chrysler product; got rid of both as the same time, win-win.

So, we're all supporting multinational companies, with research centers. And I'll bet that the new Jags are just as dependable as the old ones. I always wanted an XK150, but couldn't afford the $7000. And now I can buy a used one for a mere $70, 000+. They were part of the truly great car scene then and I hope they still are, but they're owned by India now.

OK, Bob, what's the next topic?

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: