The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Yamaha 4 stroke internal anodes (zincs)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea-C

City/Region: Skagit Valley
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lori-L
Photos: Lori-L
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Yamaha 4 stroke internal anodes (zincs) Reply with quote

This info is probably old news to the guys that have ran Yamahas for a few years, but having just purchased our 22 Cruiser with a F-90 and a T-8 Yamaha 4 stroke engines this year, I decided to find out how many and where the zincs were located. Mine happens to be late 2007 model years and I thought it would be a snap to find info on them. I was really surprised to find out how many of my boating friends that run Yamahas had never even checked the zincs and in fact didn't know where they were. The internet wasn't that much help with some of the schematics they are shown in. Our dealer had 25 in stock at about $26.00 each ( located on the internet for $26.00 for the pair) but didn't know exactly where they were located either. Anyway to make a long story short I found the 2 internal zincs on the 90 under the rear spark plug cover down between the spark plugs. Just remove the small bolts and they pull right out. They have a square o ring that seals them to the block and the zincs are threaded onto the retainer plug. The 8 hp is located on the top r/h side under a bolt that is hard to see without removing 2 small bolts from a small control with 4 screws in it and laying it to one side. Both are small button or spool zincs and the 8 hp price isn't bad, but $26.00 for the 90 is ridiculous to my way of thinking. There are also 2 external zincs, 1 on the left side down by the tilt mechanism and the one under the cav plate. Mine were still plenty serviceable after I cleaned them up and I don't know if they have ever been changed or not. These are very critical if you run salt water like we do.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: f115 zincs Reply with quote

ON our 06 f-115 yami very similar to your 07 90hp we have 2 zinc's where you have by the plugs and also one more on rt side of engine, if boat is on trailer and looking at rear of engine .It's about halfway up engine right next to the lower cowling .It's very easy to miss but must be looked at yearly along with other items like oil and filter changes water pump replacements etc. jim
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Sea-C

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: zincs Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, That sounds like the same as the one I have but on the left hand side. You are right, that one is also used up more than the rest seem to be.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: zincs Reply with quote

Sea-C wrote:
Thanks Jim, That sounds like the same as the one I have but on the left hand side. You are right, that one is also used up more than the rest seem to be.

One on the bottom of the trim / tilt pump still? Thumbs Up
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run Yami's and are not 100% dealer-dependent, I'm impressed with

http://www.simyamaha.com/

Order your REAL Yamaha manual there (requires eng serial #).
Andy knows everything about all of them and is patient even with newbies on the phone.
Examples:
I screwed up a stainless braid connector between bracket anode and engine. Local 5-star dealer says, 'I don't have a part number for that, you'll have to make it up out of leader wire.' Andy had part # almost in his head.
I have carefully researched connecting my engines to the Garmin n2k network I set up. He very diplomatically, and very accurately, says, 'well, you can do this the Yamaha way, or the way some other people do it', with the part numbers and cost for each component.
5-star local dealer service manager says, "We've never connected a Yamaha to a non-Yamaha network; in fact we've never put in any network at all.'
I'm going to do it the Yamaha way, even though finally out of warranty these are a couple of very expensive engines.
Costs after shipping still less than dealer.
PS only run ethanol-free gas, puregas.com unless no old gas in the tank for over 30 days, 90 days max.
Yamalube RingFree is probably worth it, I've been convinced.
Let us know if you're not delighted with SIM Yamaha service and support.
Cheers!
John
"If it ain't broke...I haven't been playing with it."

jennykatz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: zincs Reply with quote

Internal there are 3 for the f 115 yami on the outside there is a large zinc plate under the trim motors
Sea-C

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: zincs Reply with quote

There are 2 on the outside in those locations on the 90 and only found the 2 internal. Just 1 internal on the 8 hp with 2 external. I have always done all my own work when I can. The work was no problem, the finding them was. At least for the internal ones.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Twin 40's there are internal and external zincs. The externals I replace every year, the internals, I have asked about and the Yami certified mechanics say if the externals are replaced annually the internals will be OK. I can do the externals, but the others are past my pay grade yet.

Thanks for the tip on the simyamahy and Andy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sea-C

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: ZINCS Reply with quote

If the zincs on your 40s are in the same location as mine, they are a snap to change and you would have no trouble doing the job yourself. After you get the cover off they are staring right at you down between the spark plugs. You can't get yourself in trouble taking them out. If you have any metric sockets that is to do the job. The dealer might tell you they will be ok if you change the external ones, but I guarantee you they will eventually fade away over a period of time. Might take awhile but for as easy as they are to service, a little glance at them every year is no problem at all and well worth the time if you are running in salt water much.
Sea-C

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: 3rd zinc on the Yam. Reply with quote

Thanks to Jim on the Jennykatz, I found a third zinc right where he said it would be. A little harder to get to than the other two but still no problem to take out. Just have to remove the bolt and zinc at the same time because there isn't enough clearance with the cowl to let the bolt come out first. Our local parts man at the Yamaha dealer didn't even know there were three.
(Takes a 12 mm wrench or socket to remove them) Don't have to remove the 10mm in the center of the holder to remove the holder from the engine because that is what holds the zinc in place. You also have to unthread the zinc from that bolt because the bolt is threaded into the holder. You can remove it after the zinc is loosened if you want but no need to, the zinc has a 3/8 allen wrench opening in the end of it. If it's not all corroded away.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: ZINCS Reply with quote

Sea-C wrote:
If the zincs on your 40s are in the same location as mine, they are a snap to change and you would have no trouble doing the job yourself. After you get the cover off they are staring right at you down between the spark plugs. You can't get yourself in trouble taking them out. If you have any metric sockets that is to do the job. The dealer might tell you they will be ok if you change the external ones, but I guarantee you they will eventually fade away over a period of time. Might take awhile but for as easy as they are to service, a little glance at them every year is no problem at all and well worth the time if you are running in salt water much.

Thanks for that info, and I will be looking into that and getting them replaced.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jennykatz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: zincs Reply with quote

I failed to mention the trim tab zinc but that is the zinc everyone can see . So the f-115 has 5 zincs 3 internally and 2 on outside Please make sure you look at your internal zincs every year or so .We change out internal zincs every other year .
Sea-C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: zincs Reply with quote

Thanks Jim. I take care of anything on my engines that need attention, but the Sea Dory I only bought a short time ago with the Yamahas on it and it takes a little while to get acquainted with each ones required services. My 90 only had 156 hours on it but I changed the oil & filter in both it and the 8 and replaced the spark plugs and both fuel filters while I was at it. I also replaced both water pump kits even though they were both in excellent shape. I have been commercial and pleasure boating for 50 years and have had some pretty interesting boats over that time. I built a new 35 foot fiberglass troller for trolling Alaska in 1986 and it was quite an experience. Turned out pretty comfortable for the wife and I though. The little dory for us right now does just fine.. By the way I have a brother retired in Florida, there in Auburndale. Sorry, getting off the dory subject.. Don't want to get yelled at...AL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: