The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Do I really need a radar arch?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Do I really need a radar arch? Reply with quote

This is a question I keep contemplating. Our recently acquired 22 Cruiser has a very nice low radar arch with 6 rocket launchers and antennas. It looks very nice and is quite functional. The only draw back to this set up is that we would like to carry an inflatable dinghy and with the low arch the biggest one we could possibly fit would be 7'6". I don't have a lot of experience with inflatable dinghies, but I am thinking we might want something slightly bigger. The 7'6" models are rated at around 420lb carrying capacity. while the 8'6" models are rated at 70% more and not that much heavier.
My next question is how many C-Brats have used a 7'6" dinghy and what did you think of it. Susan and I would just like something we can row for short distances. we don't want to pack another motor.
our other options are:
1 get a high arch at great expense and hassle.
2 Extend the current arch (Might be just as much $ and hassle as new one)
3 remove the arch and mount radar on front of roof as I have seen on many other C-Dorys and put the dinghy over the radar. ( still a hassle but may be less $ )
One more question. Is there much difference in performance for radar that is mounted high and those that are roof mounted?

Thanks

Doug & Susan
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RADAR performance gain from rooftop to low arch position is not a big enough factor to worry about. Arches can be handy as handholds and mounting points for other items so I would try to keep it as plan A. The right shop could surely raise your existing arch so that should be kept in mind as well.

How much clearance is under the arch? It might be enough for an inflatable with smaller tubes like this.

http://www.alpineboats.com/crossovers-kaboat/22-saturn-12-inflatable-boatkayak-crossover-kaboat.html

We have the 14ft model and love it.
Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a number of inflatables over the last 50 plus years, including some which were no bigger than a bathtub. We used one of the smaller boats for both the Broughtons and Alaska--both trips over a month, and with a small dog. The 8' 6" model has considerably more room, than the foot shorter model--remember that the length is over all, and the extra foot is in the part where you sit and row. Don't discount a small dinghy motor, which can do double duty as a "kicker" for the C Dory 22. I use a 3 1/2 HP 2 stroke--about 30 lbs, and will push the C Dory 22 at about 4 knots in calm water. (Some will say you need 8 hp plus--I have handled boats the size of the C Dory 25 with a 4 hp outboard--and it can be done safely, but you have understand what that will do, to get you to safety, and out of any danger.

The bigger boat will row much better. I probably would investigate extending the current arch. If you change, you probably will not be able to match the bolt pattern, and holes used for the wiring. If you go to the separate support, again you have a bunch of holes to patch, gel coat to match etc. I agree with Greg in all other respects.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one other consideration for the diggy that i've ran into with my parents, weight. You don't want to hurt yourself getting and awkward object like that up onto the roof.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One other consideration for the diggy that i've ran into with my parents, weight. You don't want to hurt yourself getting and awkward object like that up onto the roof.

Conrad, We have owned the following dinghies thru the years: the slat floored dinghies in the 6'7" size range Bombard AX1, is in the 33 lb range; the 7'8" AX2 slat floor, is about 40 lbs and 8'6"AX 3 is about 50 lbs.

Currently we have an 9'6" High pressure air floor weight: 68 lbs. All of the slat floor dinghies were manageable (my age during this time was in the early to mid 70's and I have had back surgery). One person on each side is able to slide the boats up on the side of the cabin house. One hand on the boat, and one on the hand rail. It may take two "lifts", and a line can secure the boat between each lift if necessary. We usually use the "release and grab" a foot further down the hand rope on the side of the dinghy.

With the 9'6" current boat, we installed the Garhauer davit, so we can put that up on the roof fairly easily with only one person--I am now 78, and had a second back surgery about 18 months ago. So these size dinghies are manageable on a C Dory, with the right technique. Another technique with larger dinghies is to bring them first onto the foredeck, and then to the cabin house top.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider - if you can get the dinghy over the top of the radar arch, you can leave one end of the dinghy over the radar. Radar passes through the dinghy just fine.
hardee

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug and Susan,

There may be other options.
1. Mount the dingy forward of the arch.
2. Move the arch forward, and put the dingy up on the aft cabin roof.
3. Think outside the box a little, put the dingy even farther aft. Wink
4. Roof mount the radar and put the dink over it

Or find something new. New can work, if it gets thought out well. (See Greg's 25, Aurelia, with the Portland Pudgy on the roof for instance.

If you want to try a doughnut dingy, you are welcome to try mine. It is aN Alaskan twin.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Quote:
One other consideration for the diggy that i've ran into with my parents, weight. You don't want to hurt yourself getting and awkward object like that up onto the roof.

Conrad, We have owned the following dinghies thru the years: the slat floored dinghies in the 6'7" size range Bombard AX1, is in the 33 lb range; the 7'8" AX2 slat floor, is about 40 lbs and 8'6"AX 3 is about 50 lbs.

Currently we have an 9'6" High pressure air floor weight: 68 lbs. All of the slat floor dinghies were manageable (my age during this time was in the early to mid 70's and I have had back surgery). One person on each side is able to slide the boats up on the side of the cabin house. One hand on the boat, and one on the hand rail. It may take two "lifts", and a line can secure the boat between each lift if necessary. We usually use the "release and grab" a foot further down the hand rope on the side of the dinghy.

With the 9'6" current boat, we installed the Garhauer davit, so we can put that up on the roof fairly easily with only one person--I am now 78, and had a second back surgery about 18 months ago. So these size dinghies are manageable on a C Dory, with the right technique. Another technique with larger dinghies is to bring them first onto the foredeck, and then to the cabin house top.

I've got a design in my mind for a hand winched dingy cradle that can raise a dingy up on top of the roof with only using the winch. It's based off a great design that they used on one of the dive boats i worked on as a kid. I'm not going to build one, the clean a jerk method is working well so far. But if anyone else is interested i'd draw the concept out.
drbridge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpful input.
The Arch we have now is 7" above the center of the roof and will not allow any inflatables to go underneath of it at the present height. I called a local welding shop that does reputable work and they said they could make the modification, but that polishing it would be time consuming ($$). I will have to tow the boat down there and get an estimate. If I go with raising the current arch, it appears I could reuse the holes for the rear mounts. Because of opposing angles of the front and rear legs it would be necessary to drill new holes for the the front mounts. It should not be too hard to patch the old ones.
As far as mounting the boat in front of the Arch the 8'6" that I am considering would hang at least a foot over the front.
Quote:
Think outside the box a little, put the dingy even farther aft.

Harvey, when I saw your boat parked out on the street a while back it had some bars at the rear of the boat and I wondered if this was a rack for carrying a dinghy above the cockpit. Was that the case?
Quote:

Bob, The AX3 looks like a neat boat. I have searched on the internet and the only ones I could find for sale were in the UK. Is there a dealer in the US?
We also are looking at the Saturn SD260. It has an inflatable floor and is reasonably priced. From the research I've done the inflatable floor is a nice feature when you are rowing the boat. It is a bit heavier than the AX3

Thanks again for the ideas

Doug & Susan
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

Yes. It is a three part arch, with the bases permanently fixed to the splash well walls and sockets for fitting the uprights into. The top, cross piece, lifts off the uprights, and all three pieces will lay in the "hallway" in the cabin.

Easy, removable, and serves as cockpit cover, and inflatable storage.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Though in our sleep we are not conscious of our activity or surroundings, we should not, in our wakefulness, be unconscious of our sleep.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, The West Marine WEST MARINE PRU-3 Performance Roll-Up Inflatable is what was the Bombard AX 3. I used the AX series, since my first small boat was of that series (the 6'7"). The 8'6" boat I owed was the West Marine 260. Not a planing boat, but rows fairly well and does very well for a light weight dinghy.
drbridge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a nice set up Harvey. What size is your dinghy?
I looked at the West Marine PRU-3. That is a neat little boat and amazingly has almost 20 times the carry capacity as the weight of the boat.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm not with the boat right now but I will check and let you know. I think it is about 8 ft, end to end. It weighs about 40-50 pounds. I should know that but I don't remember. I know I can easily handle it, from the water to the rack, and carry it on the ground.

ON EDIT: It is a sister boat to the Alaskan 240TDS, 45# and 7'10" long, pay load about 800#.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you do not need a radar arch.

I mounted my radar dome forward on the brow with the back of the dome even with the anchor light. I mounted it on wooden supports that distribute the weight from the brow to the more solid roof over the windshield.

With the dome forward, I carry a R-260, 8.5 ft inflatable on the roof. There is room for the dingy, the anchor light, and still have the dingy not interfere with my Bimini which connects to the aft roof but is about 10" higher than the roof.

Rick from Maine
Captain Bella

City/Region: Port Angeles
Vessel Name: Irene
Photos: Bucket List
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have carried our 12' Saturn KaBoat like Hardee does, with good results.

We have also pulled it up over the gunwales, just ahead of the outboard, and carried it that way. When returning to the dock, it's easy to pitch it over the side and tow to the slip.

You are welcome to experiment with our KaBoat if you wish.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: