The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

02/27 - 03/01 - St. John's River Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked with Ken. He asked that I send an email and we'll get on it Monday morn. I'll ask him to give them to you. Thanks.

James

I don't know what's up with my Google Maps but it says what it says ?! I went to download Google Earth and am getting some kind of error message. I'll have to get my son to look at this. Good thing he still lives at home. Surprised

See you real soon.

smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: There is an Arlington River in Jacksonville Reply with quote

There is an Arington River that feeds into the St Johns in Jacksonville just south of the Mathews Bridge (Hwy 115), lat/lon 30 19 5 n 81 36 47 w. Maybe that's the label you're seeing in Google Maps?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Molly Brown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to only be listed that way on the maps between Lake Monroe and Lake George. Did a quick search and you are correct about Jax. Seems to be a neighborhood called Arlington Heights as well. It describes it as the area where the river takes a sharp bend on it's way to the Atlantic.

James

On another note, I hear the water is higher this year. I've a hankerin' to do the Ocklawaha to the Rodman Dam. I'll be sure not to end up in Bear Creek as you pointed out a couple years ago. Word is a settlement has been reached to remove the dam.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in Orlando and just did a nice nice cruise (again) on the St. John's -- one of our favorite cruising rivers. We are here on an exchange program with Friendship Force and sure have been enjoying FL birds, weather and swamps.
We'd like to visit FL cruising friends, but insufficient time since our exchange has a rather tight schedule. Have a great gathering -- you have a fine cruising area with great folks. Best to all.
El and Bill

Molly Brown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tip of the hat and best regards to a C-Dory legend, El and Bill of Halcyon fame. Good to see your years are golden.

Fair winds, James
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Ocklawaha confluence with St Johns Reply with quote

The main mouth of the Ocklawaha is at 29 28 13 n 81 41 27 w, and the mouth of Bear Creek is 29 28 3 n 81 41 29 w, just 1000 feet or so south of the main Ocklawaha. Bear Creek is actually part of the Ocklawaha, and if you're in a kayak, when you get a few miles up you can cross over into the main Ocklawaha through a small narrow channel. Once you get over the bar (clearance about 3 feet) into the Ocklawaha from the St Johns, you hardly have to look at your depth sounder anymore usually over 10 feet deep. Even near and above the Hwy 19 bridge it's deep enough for a C-Dory all the way to the dam, though I take it slow.

It's also fun to use the Buckman Lock to explore the reservoir above the dam, but you have to watch the lock schedule, and the reservoir is chock full of tree stumps. Although I saw lots of shallow-water habitat in the reservoir, good for wading birds, I still think getting rid of the dam is a good idea. The river needs to flush itself occasionally with some flood waters, and it can't do that with the dam sitting there. I think there's potential for miles more cruising, perhaps as far as the Harris Chain of Lakes if the river gets a chance to clean itself. I've also heard, not from bass fishermen, but others, that clearing out the dam will greatly improve the fishing.

Watch out on the weekends in the Ocklawaha for some careless boaters, however. I've seen several near tragedies, and I've had wakes splash into the cockpit of my kayak in the narrower sections, from passing boats still up on plane, and only a few feet away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went through the Buckman Lock last year. It is an interesting trip. There is a marked channel through the stump field and on up through the Oklawaha channel. The river eventually resumes its unflooded character. There is an abandoned lock and dam at Eureka. The canal project was abandoned before this area was flooded. We made it a couple miles upstream until there river became too filled with snags. A very beautiful area.

Last year the lock was working on a set schedule Thursday thru Sunday.
Lock master phone no. 386-329-3957. You may have to try a few times to get an answer.

Caroy
Molly Brown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bruce....I put the number in my cell. We have never been to the lock and into the lake. Did your post mean that you made it a couple miles upstream of Eureka? Did you happen to poke into the Orange River? I should have paid more attention last year when we had Cliff's Ocklawaha presentation. I might get lucky and run into one of the local guys prior to the gathering. Looking forward to seeing you and Joyce again soon.

James
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James this is Cliff I 've Emailed you twice I guess you haved noticed or what, if you want some help on the Ocklawaha give me a call and I'll help you out. 352 735 1601
Molly Brown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Cliff I don't know about the email problem. I checked my inbox on this site and it's currently empty. I've received PM's and other emails from fellow C-Brats. Must be something on your end Smile I did check my profile just in case and it appears correct.

I'll put your number in my cell and give you a call once I get up your way. I launch on Feb. 11 in DeLand.

James
bcassal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,
I haven't been to the orange river. I looked it up and its over by Ft. Myers and seems to flow out from Okochobee. Is that the Orange River you mean?

Bruce
Molly Brown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce I just looked again and it is actually called Orange Creek. Comes off of Lake Ocklawaha on the nw corner heading up towards hwy.315. Not too long of a navigable water it would appear but I always like to poke in anywhere without too much civilization, at least along the banks. I am familiar with the Orange River in Ft.Myers off the Caloosahatchee River. Been up past the power plant in the 22 we had a the time. In my earlier years in Ft.Myers we even canoed that river all the way to the Lehigh Acres dam. I don't think it is part of the Okeechobee watershed. I do know it is the drain path for Lehigh which has some of the highest elevation in all of Lee county. Miles and miles of canals dumping over the dam into the river.

Feel like I'm kind of hijacking this Tom's thread and will hold all my questions for the gathering. It will give us all something to talk about besides the behavior of my dog :-/ If you don't remember or see the thread, Ifas died shortly after that event. His aggressiveness was due to an undiagnosed tumor that burst and killed him within hours. I'd no idea he was in medical distress and speculated it was stress from all the activity and strangeness. We'd never done a gathering of any type before, just a lot of solo boating.

My thanks to all for indulging me and see you soon on the river,

James
bcassal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Orange Creek on Google Earth. We did not notice it, although I think we stopped at the boat ramp on the east shore to walk Monty. That area is shallow and very weedy outside of the main channel. Access might depend on water level.
We look for those remote areas too.
To rescue the thread back to Smitty; we made it through Bear Creek to the Oklawaha in the 22. I don't particularly recommend it . We had to pull the motors and manhandle the boat through the trees but we could see the river just a short distance off and our alternative was to go miles back and around. There were some people fishing near where we came out and they were pretty surprised!

Bruce
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: First C-Brats at Hontoon Island Reply with quote

Bill Smith captain of the C-Dory Blue Days sent me this photo. He and his wife Becky could not wait for the SBGT so they volunteered to be dock host volunteers for the month of February. Hank and Pat Clow on the Meri Aura also have their boat at Hontoon. This will be a special gathering for special people.....C-Brats! Lets fill up the docks! Tom

anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: St John's Gathering Reply with quote

The wife and I missed the Sat get together at Powell because we had to help the son turn in his houseboat rental. Then we missed the Appalachicola Gathering for medical reasons. We will be at the marina a few days early, to be safe.

Our plans are to launch at Green Cove Springs as we use to store our sailboat there, in years past. If anyone sees a problem with that plan, please fill me in.

Really looking forward to seeing all of you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: