The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

02/27 - 03/01 - St. John's River Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill and Brenda Russell

City/Region: Stamps AR
State or Province: AR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Falcon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

St Johns River 2/27/2015 - 3/1/2015

Age is creeping up on old cotton choppers from Arkansas. We are considering the St Johns River Gathering if we are able to climb aboard "Falcon" and make the two day road trip.

Ed Stone Park about three miles up river from Hontoon Island State Park may be a good place to launch and store the truck and trailer.

The St Johns River area and up north ICW in Georgia is packed with history that we may cruise for week or so after the gathering. A few old timers with knowledge of the ICW in Georgia are welcome to lead the way.

Bill and Brenda Russell

Rcbeach

City/Region: Ocean Pines
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: DreamChaser
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom & Molly Brown,

Thanks for the information. I think we will arrive on Thursday just in case the locals decide to all get out for the weekend.

Dick
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Joyce,

Thank you for the kind advice. Yes, Florida sounds like a several month trip for sure, and I am looking forward to that. (BTW, hope you all are staying warm currently.... just heard that there are freezing temps in all 50 states over the last few days. Funny, warmer in Anchorage than Seattle the other day.)

El and Bill,

I have been looking at Florida for a while now, and yes, the wildlife sounds exciting. Well, Manatee yes; 'gators, another story. Warm clear water and sandy beaches sound great. Shallow water, not so much. Funny how the comfort level changes when the water depth decreases from 50 feet. (Even with the slow cruise mode)

Thanks for helping to open my horizons.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Florida Reply with quote

Harvey and Pat, when are you coming down to Florida ? Come on down to St John's Gathering the river is beautiful and the weather is a lot better then Seattle and the rest of the USA. We are in SW florida send a PM or email JIM and LOREE
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joan and Steve are in and Steve is hopeful to have single vice double vision way before the trip, so that Joan doesn't have to drive the Suburban with OSPREY in tow to Florida. Guys just got to be behind the wheel...
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Florida Reply with quote

jennykatz wrote:
Harvey and Pat, when are you coming down to Florida ? Come on down to St John's Gathering the river is beautiful and the weather is a lot better then Seattle and the rest of the USA. We are in SW florida send a PM or email JIM and LOREE

I have not talked to Pat so can't answer for him, but I won't be making it this year, I'm pretty sure. Would like to write this into the plan for 2016 though, along with a whole lot more of Florida and the Gulf. If something happens to change that for this year, you will be the first to know. It is a trip I want to make but need more time to get everything setup. If it worked to travel down together, that would be fine by me, but again, there are lots of things to arrange before I/we could plan on that.

Thanks again for the invite. Will keep in touch here.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been very late in signing up for this gathering. We have been coming to the St. Johns for the past 4 years and expect to continue to do so. It is our favorite cruising area and we have explored it extensively. The gathering last year was icing on the cake! It is great to visit with fellow C-Brats in such a wonderful place.
My 95 yrs. old mother is having some health issues and we may have difficulty getting away. We'll see what happens.

Harvey,

I hope you can make it, if not this year I'm sure we will be at it again next year. I don't think you could find a longer haul from Sequim! But I think you would find it worth the trip. There is a world of wonderful boating in Florida. We spent over three weeks on the upper St. Johns last year didn't get north of Palatka. I would like to meet you. I have been following your posts for years. When I was in Washington in 2008 I visited the factory and asked for a C-Dory ride on the website. You were kind enough to offer, although our connection didn't work out, I hooked up with Bootleg Hooch on Lake Washington for a very pleasant afternoon and I was hooked. I bought Carpy about a year later.
I love the PNW, my son lives in Olympia and is an avid sailor. Someday we will make the haul up there. I also want to have time to enjoy the trip and explore the water.

We are planning to be at Hontoon and are looking forward to seeing everyone. I hope it works out.

Bruce & Joyce
Carpy
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcassal wrote:
.... (stuff clipped) We'll see what happens.

Harvey,

I hope you can make it, if not this year I'm sure we will be at it again next year. I don't think you could find a longer haul from Sequim! But I think you would find it worth the trip. There is a world of wonderful boating in Florida. We spent over three weeks on the upper St. Johns last year didn't get north of Palatka. I would like to meet you. I have been following your posts for years. When I was in Washington in 2008 I visited the factory and asked for a C-Dory ride on the website. You were kind enough to offer, although our connection didn't work out, I hooked up with Bootleg Hooch on Lake Washington for a very pleasant afternoon and I was hooked. I bought Carpy about a year later.
I love the PNW, my son lives in Olympia and is an avid sailor. Someday we will make the haul up there. I also want to have time to enjoy the trip and explore the water.

We are planning to be at Hontoon and are looking forward to seeing everyone. I hope it works out.

Bruce & Joyce
Carpy

Bruce and Joyce,

Thank you for the kind words. I am looking forward to the St Johns 2016. I think this coming one is just to soon after all the changes going on Embarassed

One nice surprise. In the Portland OR, West Marine last Friday, I ran across a cruising guide for the St Johns. Not just one, but a stack on at least a dozen. I asked about them, and there is a pretty good expectation that some of them will still be there when I get back, at something less than the $35.00 ea. Thinking back, I should have picked it up, but too late now. I'll be back.

I looked through your album. WOW, some cool restorations. Beautiful. And, the St Johns looks like a nice retreat.

Enjoy,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Last edited by hardee on Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Lou and the "Skimmer" asked me some good questions about the gathering. Some of the answers may help other C-brats.....so here goes.

The park does NOT accept reservations....but a person can save one for a friend. If you arrive on Thursday or Friday morning you should have no problem. if you are going to be there on Friday eve. or Saturday contact me and we will arrange to save a spot for you. The cost is only a little over $20.00 a nite. The park knows we are coming. They staff is very accommodating.

As far as parking your rig....it depends on how long you plan to stay on the St. Johns. Short term unsecured free parking is available at Ed Stone Park and boat ramp on Highway 44. Many attendees parked there last year. Some that cruised the river for weeks at parked their rigs at Aster Marine which has a secure parking area. 352-759-3655 or www.astormarine.com
I use Holly Bluff Marina (386-822-9992) www.hollybluff.com I would just leave my rig at Ed. Stone buy I need my truck for provision runs and park it by the parking area at Hontoon Island but can not park my trailer at the park. There are other places on this part of the St. Johns but these are the most popular.

Its best to get provisions in Deland or elsewhere nearby before launching.
However, if you forget something don't panic. We will be making some town runs. There is a camp store at the park for some stuff.

A chart for the St. Johns from Palatka to Sanford Florida should be all you need. You can buy one at www.nauticalcharts.com Its called the lower St. Johns River Nautical Map. SKU:37S price $23.49 Charts are also usually available at the area marinas and Hontoon Island State Park.

A couple of other notes. The Hontoon Island Park tries to limit open use of alcohol. Soooooo...if you wish to imbibe bring some Solo cups and be discrete.....no problem!

Bring a portable chair for the campfires.

Also...for anyone coming early. Think about a day trip up the Silver river to Silver Springs. I like to take guests in my 22 up to see the monkeys and gators. There is a good boat ramp on HWY 40 at Ray Wayside Park east of Ocala.

Bruce and Joyce.....We know family first.... but we sure hope it works out for you to bring Carpy back down to visit the waters of the St. Johns!

Tom Schulke
352-789-0201
C-dory 22 Out2C
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Are these parks State Parks? I was looking at some state park info and found a State Park pass and some military discount passes available.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/

or

http://www.floridastateparks.org/thingstoknow/annualpass.cfm#discountsforveterans

Just looking, dreaming and ??? planning Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: if you're going to be at the St. John's CBGT Reply with quote

...if you're going to be at the St. John's CBGT and you've been thinking of having any work done on your trailer, here's a recommendation.

Last year we really needed some aluminum welding and other things beefed up on our trailer. We took it to B&G Trailers, Inc in Deland, FL (2340 International Speedway Blvd, Hwy 92, Deland, FL 3224 TEL: 386-734-5244). The business is about :20 from Hontoon Island SP, and in our opinion, a Very good, and reliable operation.

They sell various brands of trailers (ie. Magic Tilt) but I think they also build customs items. I would be surprised if there is a trailer repair they could not handle.

B&G did our work with the boat on the trailer (they lift the boat off to access the trailer), but if you need work done they might be able to do it while you're out exploring the St. John's River.

I'd recommend calling them beforehand to pre-arrange your work.

Best,
C&M

Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey
Hontoon Island is the only Florida state park where no admission is charged. I was told it has to do with Coast Guard rules. The only way on the island is by boat and they are not allowed to charge for the Boat ride over. I don't know about state park annual passes as I've never had one.

Keep studying and you'll be ready for 2016 on the St. John's.

Tom
outbackbill

City/Region: Mocksville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Blue Days
Photos: Blue Days
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: St. John's cruising Reply with quote

For those of you that will be cruising the St. John's for the first time I highly recommend the section of River south of Lake Monroe at Sanford. As long as you go slow and watch the depth you can go as far South as the state road 46 bridge just South of Lake Harney. If you don't mind seeing more wildlife than people and anchoring out, you might like to try it. We have had a wet year and the river is up a foot or two from the level it was last year when we did it in our 25.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Bill
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, that is an excellent suggestion and not just for first time cruisers. In all the years I lived in Orlando as a teen and in subsequent years cruising the river we have never cruised anything south of Sanford. Our plan for the gathering has us on the river 2 weeks before the event and plan to spend some time in that section. I take it from your post that hwy 46 would be the southernmost cruisable water. I do suppose that the river water level will dictate our range since February is towards the end of the dry season and will surely be lower that it is now. Certainly looking forward to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: