The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

02/27 - 03/01 - St. John's River Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobMcG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: St John's River Gathering Reply with quote

Let me add my thanks to Tom and Joyce for a well run event. Perfect weather - any warmer and the bugs would have eaten us.

Thanks, also for the soap. I stole Lou's soap and gave it to my fiancee.

See you next year.

Bob McGinness
crew aboard Skimmer
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jury duty called the day I got back hence the delay. Many, many thanks to Tom and Joyce and all that attended. We get to know you a little better every year which just enhances the experience. Looking forward to next year.

Did not have a camera with us but once I get Betty to slow down long enough for me to get the pics off her phone I will post them.

Ya'll have a great year with lots of boating......

schiavolou

City/Region: Wilton Creek, VA
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Skimmer
Photos: Skimmer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our friend Joan's "Outrageous Cookie Bars" were such a hit at the gathering pot-luck, that we wanted to share her recipe:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chip morsels
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a 13x9 inch baking pan in the oven. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over butter. Stir well, press onto bottom of pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumbs. Sprinkle with morsels, coconut, and nuts; press down firmly. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.

ENJOY!!
Joan Baum
Osprey

Molly Brown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left the good camera at home this year. What pics we have are posted in our album. Had a great 3 weeks and am considering volunteering at the park next year. Kudos again to Tom and Joyce without whom none of this would be possible. Hey Tom....did you mention to anybody that the park is having music during out gathering next year? Let's be clear that I had nothing to do with that, lol.

Best to all, James
Bill and Brenda Russell

City/Region: Stamps AR
State or Province: AR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Falcon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St Johns River 2/27/2015 - 3/1/2015

The old Arkansas Cotton Choppers want to thank Tom and Joyce for hosting the Hontoon Island Gathering. The cookout around a campfire smoke mixed with hamburgers on the grill and conversations with boat owners oh ho yea "it don't get no better than this".

We have been to many C-Dory events but this one tops them all with a unique verity offered on the St Johns River, endless tropical plants, countless navigable canals to explore, and of course THE MANATEES at paradise resorts of Blue Springs and De Leoln Springs where one can almost touch one of these amazing animals.

Brenda and I docked in Jacksonville, FL. and wanted "Falcon" to taste salt in the Atlantic but after two days, too cold and our time was up, disappointed we pointed the bow up river, south.

Thanks You, Tom and Joyce We enjoyed every minute!

Bill and Brenda Russell

RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lou, we had no idea you were going to bring one of Joan's recipes to the gathering. Had we known it might have been worth the 2500+ mile tow eastward! We still remember her wonderful cooking from our 2 cruises last year. Glad to know you enjoyed the St Johns gathering. We sure did when we attended in 2014. Tom and Joyce do it well!

Rob (& Mary)
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh..Oh
I guess all the blame for music will have to fall on Christine and the staff at Hontoon State Park instead of James. She is planning for live music every other week at the park. Our gathering date for next year "just happens" to be on one of those weekends. No problem......surely better than having me perform! I do however get requests to sing "Far, Far Away". Laughing

Joyce and I were back on the St. Johns yesterday and saw Rich and Judy taking the Y-Knot out at Astor where we launched. We took the long way down to Hontoon State Park where we spent the night. Had a great time visiting with Hank and Pat with the Meri Aura. Hank has a list at least four pages long on projects for his boat.

James..... I'm always looking for a bigger C-Dory even though I really don't need one. Well.... there was a 24' Tomcat down St. Petersburg way for sale on boat trader. I called the broker and he said he had a lot of interest but it was still for sale. Told him I would be right down to look at it. 20 miles down the road he calls back to tell me its SOLD. Oh well.....better than Jury duty.

Joyce can't wait for the next gathering on the St. Johns. Great eating! Thanks for the "Outrageous Cookie Bars" recipe Joan. Hope you and Steve can make it next year and bring more!

Bob....next year bring your new bride and we will give her a soap bar of her own so that Lou can keep his bar of soap.

The wood was better this year than the wood we had last year. But to be sure that we have nothing but the best for our camp fires, I've already bought fire wood. Its stacked in my hanger seasoning for our 2016 gathering.

Bill and Brenda.....Sorry... that the Falcon did not taste of the Atlantic this time. Thanks for the kind words and your participation in the gathering. The fireside chats are one of my favorite times. Its too bad we were weathered out on a couple evenings but there are more to look forward to next year. Trust we will see you again then!

Thanks.... Tom and Joyce Schulke

Out2C
Molly Brown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, that's two near misses for you. Third time will be the charm Teeth

James
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James...One never knows.......love your photos. Joyce and I are going to try and find the cow next week! I posted the ones of the line art that Mary Jo took with my Out2C photos. I plan on winning next year!

Tom
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Live music? Reply with quote

Loud music of any kind, live or otherwise, is antithesis to what I enjoy when I go to places such as Hontoon Island, where I'm interested in hearing an osprey or bald eagle or alligator. If they're having live music at Hontoon Island, I won't be back there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: 02/27 - 03/01 - St. John's River Gathering Reply with quote

I certainly hope they have some local rap artists in the lineup. (sic) The rangers are so nice and thoughtful I can't imagine them providing anything that would be even mildly offensive. There is always earplugs. I wonder if they will take requests. Mr. Green I'm working on a special Florida C-Dory song.
D.D.

Molly Brown

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya'll are under the impression a little music equates some loud, overpowered, electrified rock or rap band. I can assure you that's anything but the case. Just a few pickers singing harmony, providing their service at no cost to the park as a fundraiser.This type event is not meant to be a concert in the normal sense. This portion of Hontoon is a public access area and therefore the public is encouraged to come over. Hontoon Island remains a jewel on the river even if they have a little live music on a Saturday from 11-2. With a budget of 30K per year they are actively looking to attract more visitors which equates to more donations. Things like this past month's 10K trail run is another avenue to accomplish that. Staff there are, and have been, very conscious of visitors enjoyment and I've no doubt they will not jeopardize this little slice of paradise. Compare that to Blue Springs just down the river and it's like night and day. Florida State Parks with marinas are a rarity and each one has my support. Besides, at $20/night including power and water, Hontoon Island is by far the best deal you'll find on the water!!
cdory25

City/Region: Flagler Beach
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Shoal Mates
Photos: Blues Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me for my lack of computer skills, but I was wondering where the photos of the event were located. Then I might want to know how to post pictures of our days on the Island and our week on the river, from my phone, maybe....

Thanks!
John
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John.....just post the photos in your album and we will look for them there.
Next year I will ask for a separate gathering album. Take care of Karen and the "Blues Cruiser" and see you on the St. John's.

Tom on the "Out2c"
The Chieftain

City/Region: Bridport/Lake Champlain
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Inish Beag
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I have a never used still in the box AC unit for the 22 we purchased used in Md. The boat is in VT and the AC unit is here in Winter Haven FL. We are never going to install it nor will the boat be back here in Fl. If you want it call 202-641-8498.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: