View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: New Garmin to replace Raymarine Reply with quote

Bit the bullet here and bought all Garmin for Captain's Choice II. I will have my C-80 system, Autppilot, Radar etc for sale by late winter, early spring. It is a 2005 original install (by Les at EQ marine, I'm the second owner) and, while it would have done the job, I just craved something "new". Went with a 10" MFD and a totally integrated system including HD Radar, AIS and AP. I'll install it and a "new to me" 6HP Evinrude 4 stroke kicker on the boat in my big garage. The Black kicker and White ETEC will clash a bit but I've always been a bit of a maverick... Wink Going to sell the Wallas too, it needs service and we don't plan to use the boat in a way where we would need it here.

What's money for anyway if it isn't to spend on boats? Rolling Eyes

Any recommendation on mounting of the kicker? Bracket? It's a long shaft. I'm going to do it myself b/c our local marine shop guy just rolled his eyes when I asked about undercutting the transom holes. Crook It will have to go to Starboard as there's a swim ladder to Port and Bennett trim tabs to work around..

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Garmin to replace Raymarine Reply with quote

Funny: I just bought some Raymarine to replace my original Garmin Very Happy I actually really liked the Garmin I had (it was just old and slightly obsolete), but for me the new Garmin offerings just didn't quite combine the screen size/type I wanted. If they had I would have stuck with Garmin for sure.

Captains Cat wrote:
What's money for anyway if it isn't to spend on boats? Rolling Eyes

Exactly Very Happy

Captains Cat wrote:
Any recommendation on mounting of the kicker? Bracket? It's a long shaft.

Both my previous Honda 8 and my current Mercury 5 (although I haven't used the Merc yet) are long shafts. I mounted a "Mini Jacker" fixed aluminum bracket on the transom for the Honda (it was originally mounted directly on the transom, but that had to change when I installed the Bennett trim tabs). So far I have no complaints about the Mini Jacker, and for me, the 3" fixed lift it gives, plus the setback, were both benefits. I also have my kicker to starboard as my swim platform is to port (I like that as then I don't have to climb over/through the engine cables). I ran my transducer cables "behind" the Mini Jacker and used Weld Mount wire tie bases glued to the Mini Jacker to hold them - so no extra transom holes needed for those.

One note though: The Honda 8D, being a relatively big "small" engine, sat just perfectly on the "bare" Mini Jacker vis-a-vis the trim tabs. The Merc 5 I have now is a much more "spindly bodied" 2-stroke and I had to space it aft slightly further to clear the tabs. I didn't change the Mini Jacker, but rather made a set of fiberglass pads that go between the engine bracket and the Mini Jacker so the engine sits back a touch further.

Captains Cat wrote:
I'm going to do it myself b/c our local marine shop guy just rolled his eyes when I asked about undercutting the transom holes.

Well at least they were clear on where they stood! Rolling Eyes This way you'll know it's done right.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be that time of year for upgrades. I too just bit the bullet and ordered the Garmin GPSMAP 840xs and the Garmin GMR 18HD. If anyone is interested, I have my Raymarine SL72+ Radar for sale now. $500. It works very good, but is Black & White. Buyer would also have to pay shipping. I do have photos of the unit, that I can post later to my album, or can email (easier). Colby P.s. BTW Charlie, regarding kicker installation, you can look at my setup in my photo album.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam, great info and Colbysmith, great pictures. My 6HP is a 4 stroke which will tie right into the main (90 ETEC) gas line. Not sure yet if I'll tie steering in but the bracket is there on the ETEC Seastar setup. The mini jacker looks like the way to go, don't even have to pull the gas tank which I was dreading a little.

Now I can dread it longer!! Disgust

I've had both Garmin and Raymarine integrated systems on 22's and TC255's. Will see how I like this one. WM has some great deals right now, through today and tomorrow I think.

Charlie
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
Not sure yet if I'll tie steering in but the bracket is there on the ETEC Seastar setup.

I didn't have my Honda 8 tied in to the steering. Main reason on that engine was that -- with it mounted to starboard -- the tiller arm got in the way of a straightforward linkage. However, I did discover that it steered pretty well with the main, just using the main like you would a sailboat rudder, at least in good conditions. Of course I also had the option to go back and just use the tiller handle.

I may tied in the Merc 5 because it looks a lot simpler, but like you, not sure yet.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Charlie! Have not been on for a while until just lately. Been a while since we have chatted. Good luck on your new system & set up. Crazy what we paid for our complete Raymarine systems back in 2006....and what we can buy similar systems for today. Just wanted to say Hey!
Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got all my new electronics and got them installed today. Looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 840XS and Garmin GMR 18HD. I'm a little concerned about the noise and vibration from the 18HD radome however. I never heard my old Ray Marine Pathfinder radar, unless I stuck my head next to the antenna. But this new one, it's like a jet engine firing up. I do have it mounted directly to my roof top...with some plastic spacers to lift and angle it a tad bit. Is this normal for this newer radar to make a very audible noise? Colby

P.s. Anyone interested in my old radar. It is VERY Quiet! Smile
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: New Garmin to replace Raymarine Reply with quote

Colby,
We have the Garmin 18HD radar. It's up on a radar arch with a five or six inch pedestal. No vibration by I can hear it spinning up and when not running I can hear it. For me that's a good thing. It reminds me to put it on standby or shut it off when we are not traveling if I have the chart plotter on looking at other screens.
D.D.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vibration is not bad. Really can't feel it unless I put my hand on the ceiling. But the noise is definitely a negative to me. I agree it's nice to remember to put it in standby, but just as you hear the sound, I see the caption on the screen. Smile I think it's bad if the boats next to you can hear it winding up and running! I think if I had known it was going to be this noisy, I may have rethought my choice to purchase it. Perhaps I should have looked up more reviews on it. Other than that, so far it seems like a nice unit! I did do some review searching about the noise and found out I'm not the only one that it caught by surprise. Someone also said Garmin is aware of it, but nothing they can do. Guess it has something partially to do with being gear driven as opposed to belt driven. In any case, hopefully it will hold up and last for a long time. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: