The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Home Depot Mositure Meter $99

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Home Depot Mositure Meter $99 Reply with quote

http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-Spherical-Pin-Pinless-Moisture-Meter-with-4-in-Depth-with-Case-MMD950/203079379?cm_mmc=CJ-_-1319015-_-10368321&AID=10368321&PID=1319015&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=32-402488757-2&cj=true

I dont know if can be used on a boat but a good deal for $99

The MMD950 is designed for use in woodworking, water damage restoration, building construction and home renovation. The meter senses the moisture level of a material using either of two techniques: 1. inferring the material electrical conductivity from the current flow induced between a pair of steel pins placed on or into the material. The wetter a material, the higher its conductivity. The MMD950 comes with a remote probe consisting of a pair of replaceable stainless steel test pins at the end of a 46 in. long cable. 2. Measuring the change in the material’s capacitance produced by the slight spreading of an electric field generated by the meter. When the meter is powered on, the spherical sensor at its top generates a three-dimensional electromagnetic wave at radio frequency that extends about 4 in. (100mm) from the meter. When the spherical sensor is placed against a wet material, the increased capacitance of the material distorts the wave’s electric field to an extent that can be measured. This distortion called the fringing field effect is proportional to the material’s moisture level.

Features two measurement modes: pin (conductivity-based) and pinless (based on the fringing field effect)
Spherical sensor gauges moisture level up to 4 in. below a surface
Conventional test pins at end of 46 in. remote cable
Pin measurement accuracy of ±3%
Displays %WME and relative readings simultaneously on two displays: 0 to 99.9 count jumbo LCD with 0.9 in. (23mm) digits, and 40-dot tri-color LED bar graph
Manual or automatic calibration checking
Data hold (display lock) function
User-programmable beeper function, backlight function and auto power off time
Low battery warning
Includes two pairs of replacement test pins
Spare pins storage compartment
MMD950 comes in a custom molded plastic case along with a remote pin-type probe and cable, a 9V battery, two pairs of replacement pins and a product manual

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this one, which is $49 (although the one I got was a slightly different color, it was a $49 Ryobi from HD). I was used to using "real" boatyard meters, but didn't have access to one when I went to look at my boat (before it was mine), so I picked the Ryobi up. Granted, I knew what I was looking for (I knew where the vulnerable core points were), but I found it did a fine job. It picked up moisture in the few places I did find it for real later, and did not "find" any where there wasn't any. Basically you're just looking for relative readings.

A "real" one would likely be better, for around $199, but I wasn't able to get one in time at any rate. You do want a pinless one.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Pinless-Moisture-Meter-E49MM01/202048566
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Home Depot Mositure Meter $99 Reply with quote

[quote="BrentB"]http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-Spherical-Pin-Pinless-Moisture-Meter-with-4-in-Depth-with-Case-MMD950/203079379?cm_mmc=CJ-_-1319015-_-10368321&AID=10368321&PID=1319015&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=32-402488757-2&cj=true

Deal is over
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the $49 Ryobi one I linked to is just $49 regular price, if that helps anyone (it was a different one than the deal you posted).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: