The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cabin upgrades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joefish

City/Region: Great Falls
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: My Girl
Photos: My Girl
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Cabin upgrades Reply with quote

With tow vehicle sold and winter approaching I'm making a project list. Most involve cabin improvements. Number one on my list is covering "exposed" wiring. Sitting at the helm I am distracted by the huge zip-tied wire grouping to my right. Seems there should be a good looking way of covering this. I've tried white electical/duct tape - no good. I bought a perfect sized piece of PVC tubing to fit over it last weekend - better but not great. I'm even looking for tubing or something to cover the drooping wires that run along the top edge of the cabin. While I could care less about the looks when I'm alone fishing, it would be nice when my wife and friends are along. I've looked at some of the "salons" of other boats for ideas and comparison. There is no comparison. But since I'm not going to spend double the price of a C-Dory, or more, for one of these boats, here are some of my DIY plans. 1) cover cabin wiring for a finished look 2) Since wood accessories always look good on a boat l want to add the wooden face to the map shelf which I see on so many C-Dorys. Should be a simple project. Maybe add other wood pieces in the cabin as well 3) Plush carpeting on the floor and maybe some pieces to fit the shelves/counters by the front windows - still thinking about this. 4) Clean/wax the wood cabinets (recently heard that "Magic Cabinet and Wood Cleaner" is great for this)

Appreciate your comments. Very Happy

williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most simple thing would probably be to use marine grade split wire conduit. It's split so you can just push it over the existing loom. Here's an example:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=4347

A more elegant look can be achieved by using a flexible braided sleeve - but just be sure to get the kind that splits or else you'll have to feed your existing wires from one end to the other. Here's an example of those:

http://www.cablemarkers.com/braided.htm

Both can be secured using your favorite device (zip ties, clamps, etc).
joefish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks williwaw, that's already put me on to something. White, split wire loom.

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/american/catalog/inside-diameter-colored-split-wire-loom-foot-p-102.php
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Or Reply with quote

Since you mentioned wood you could always make (or commission) a run for your wires that would attach to the shelf you already have then close it with something nice like Sapele or teak or what not. This would certainly create that "finished look" you might be seeking.
joefish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the wheels are turning! If the wires were hidden with wood strips, and the front of the map shelf had a new wood veneer, and there were pieces of carpet on the front shelves framed in the same wood, and the wooden cabinets were cleaned, then all four of the projects would have a connection, a common theme.

I love this site Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
hambone

City/Region: Klamath Falls/Brookings OR.
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I've seen several examples on hiding the wiring in the cabin. Take a look at the pictures in my photos to see if this is what you want. Hope this helps.

Mike

SEAWOLF 2008 22' TWIN HONDA 50s CRUISER
joefish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike, that's a nice job, a real clean look. I'm soaking up the ideas like a sponge. Thumbs Up
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a contrarian on this topic. C-Dorys are utility boats of the highest order. I like the "well dressed, but exposed." look of wiring on my boat. Yes I'm a bit strange, but it is my 45 year background in working on all things electronic. I just think wires are cool. (Well tied and routed of course). And wiring can do some scary things on occasion, like slowly melting. Problems in wiring often occur over time through abrasion, warm or hot wires and so on. I like to smell and see anything going on rather than waiting for the smoke to shoot out of screw heads etc. Poor justification, I know, but it has happened several times on various things that have wires and motors and props or wheels. So I'm sticking with it. Besides, I'm a bit lazy.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potter water wrote:
I am a contrarian on this topic. C-Dorys are utility boats of the highest order. I like the "well dressed, but exposed." look of wiring on my boat. Yes I'm a bit strange, but it is my 45 year background in working on all things electronic. I just think wires are cool. (Well tied and routed of course). And wiring can do some scary things on occasion, like slowly melting. Problems in wiring often occur over time through abrasion, warm or hot wires and so on. I like to smell and see anything going on rather than waiting for the smoke to shoot out of screw heads etc. Poor justification, I know, but it has happened several times on various things that have wires and motors and props or wheels. So I'm sticking with it. Besides, I'm a bit lazy.

As a fellow lazy person, I heartily agree. Plus, I like the utilitarian look.

potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

constant craving. Sounds like you had your struggles getting to the Powell gathering, hope all has worked out by now. It was a great week to be on the Powell water.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me one of the appeals of the C-Dory is the "what you see is what you get" of the whole thing. There is nothing hidden that can go wrong. Yes, it may not look as "finished" as some boats, but there tends to be less surprises that way.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-cable-sleeving/=tx63ta

Take your pick. I used the white expandable but it requires to be installed prior to wiring. Nice and clean though.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1688&id=Radar_install_002&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: