The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

seeking advice about a new windlass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blake

City/Region: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Fury
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: seeking advice about a new windlass Reply with quote

I just broke down a bought a Lewmar Pro-fish 1000 for my "08 22 cruiser. I am wondering what is the ideal amount of chain and rope. Also any helpful advice on installation would be appreciated. i'm thinking I can complete the actual windlass installation as well as the switch and breaker. From there I will get a professional to install the relay and wiring.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blake. We run 42 ft of 1/4 hi test and 225 ft of New England 3 strand. Has worked very well. Wiring the unit is easy as it comes with all the main parts. Just getting the heavy cable thru the boat is the most challenging. I put my breaker in the lazarette along with the other breakers and ran down under the galley and up to behind the dash for connections to the contactor and switch. Then forward to the windlass. Easy wiring. Have a look at my album or we can go over it over a coffee. Remember to undercut and epoxy fill the big holes in the deck ( actually the most intimidating part of the job). Cheers George
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blake.... Your "ideal amount" depends on how and where you will use it. I suspect George has determined that as he has already has spent many hours cruising and using! Wink He's also spot on concerning the installation, I have not installed this version but have installed a V700. I'd also love to do coffee but live on the "Right Coast". Confused You can do the wiring, I have and if mine worked, yours can too!! I finally did it right.. Rolling Eyes

DIY, you'll save a lot of money and learn a lot!! Thumbs Up

Charlie Wink

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: