The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Moving back down in size - lets hear from you.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Moving back down in size - lets hear from you. Reply with quote

Some of you have moved up and then back down in size of vessel. I'd like to hear from those of you that have, why and would you do it again? My prior vessel size was 34' and I am thinking of all the time I'll regain not having to maintain all the systems on the prior boat. I really am feeling attracted to the simple systems in the 22.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone 12-35 feet in sail and power. The cd 22 is my biggest powerboat. I look at cruising boats as tools to do a job. They aren't working for a living. So different boats for different jobs. The cd 22 is the wrong boat to point at the Marquesas. The cd is the right boat for coastal and inland. Always first on my agenda re boats is what is the mission? Answer that and one gets a short list of vessels. The boat that gets used is the right boat. We see way too many boats sitting in slips literally for years at a time while our little boat goes all over. Some boats are kept merely to impress ones peers or fit in at the yacht club I assume. Thats ok. Whatever.
What's right for one isn't for another. I've met people on the dock who couldn't even come on my boat as it was "too small" they get claustrophobia. They came off an 85 footer that they liked. For the likes of Tiger Woods 200 ft is "too small". In my mind the smaller that gets the mission done the better. George
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had at least 12 boats from 12ft to 34ft, both power and sail.
I agree with George - the size of the boat was absolutely inversely proportional to how much it got used.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over a 35 year span, I have had four sail boats from 18' to 33'. My C-Dory is my first real power boat and I love it. I can go fast or slow, sleep/cook in it, fish/sunbathe in it, trailer it, gunkhole in it, feel safe in it, and more importantly, actually use it.
I agree with what George said, so I won't repeat it.

Martin.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George nailed it for me, too.

In the past, I lived aboard a "full sized" boat (not that it was so huge, but I mean a 30-footer heavy sail boat, so basically a big sturdy boat with all my stuff aboard).

What do I miss from that? Well, I do miss the big boat feel in the accommodations. By that I don't really mean luxury or space (as it was not that luxurious or large), but more the sturdy/nautical feel of it, plus the fact that I had everything there with me and was aboard all the time. I could go long distance, carry month's worth of provisions, all my tools, etc. I never had to shift from tow vehicle/camper to boat to house to boat to etc.

I don't have that in the 22, but I love it for my current mission, which is trailering to various places and enjoying them in simplicity. Shallow draft, simple, small, light and airy. It fits my mission and I love it for that. I can also stow it away reasonably easily if I want to do something else. So while I do miss some of the things from the first category, they come along with other things that I don't want/need right now.

I guess you could sum it all up in "horses for courses."
Alexander

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Alexander
Photos: Alexander
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had power and sail boats up to 44' and lived aboard full time for 12 yrs. We now have a CD 25 and have never been happier or had more fun with a boat. No more diving to clean running gear, no more leaky canvas. Perfect boats for gunkholing or a quick fun boat ride. I agree with George too.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've moved up, down and sideways... Shocked Now back to a 22 where we started with C Dorys in the late 90's. Thumbs Up Love
CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: