The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory Timeline?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimButterfield

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: C-Dory Timeline? Reply with quote

Hi, all. I know there have been mentions in various posts and threads of the changes throughout C-Dory history and the various moves and owners. I've even read them. I just don't remember the details. Is there a timeline compilation sticky somewhere that shows when these changes occurred? I'm considering a 2009 to slip in Cap Sante and am wondering if that's a more or less risky year.

Thanks.

Tim
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi not sure if timeline exists anywhere but in '09 Fluid Marine was the builder. I had an '09 19 Angler built and was impressed with the quality. Should be no issues. That said the ones since are even finer. My 2011 22 has been superb.
George
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of a timeline sticky, but just the detailed posts you probably already found by searching terms like "history" and "year" "changes."

I also don't know of a risky year (or a less risky year). I had a certain preferred year range in mind when I was shopping, but it wasn't about risk so much as it was about my preferences in the combination of feature changes that have taken place over the years. For me, the range of around late 90's to mid-2000's provided the best combination of various things for me, but they are mostly just preferences not "better" vs. "worse."

I did nonetheless consider a 2009 22 that was built by Fluid Marine (even though I had my preferences I was still open to just about any year). It had some nice touches, such as the V-berth had three hatches already installed and the belowdecks area was finished (white) and had two mini-bulkheads separating the three sections. In the end I really didn't want a high top (and it was a high top), so I went "back" to my earlier year range preference. I ended up finding a 2002 that filled the bill.

So to me there are three main things:

1) The particular combination of features/changes you will find on any given year and how it fits your preferences.

2) The way the boat is outfitted - engines, electronics, canvas, etc. and how that matches up with what you like.

3) And the big one: Condition. To me, in any boat over around a year old, it's condition and care that really make the difference. It's easy to find a 20-year-old boat that looks better than a 3-year-old one (of any make) if the former has been stored indoors and babied vs. say, sitting neglected in a hot, sunny saltwater slip (just to use two somewhat opposite examples).

The one additional thing (but this kind of goes along with #3) is that most all fiberglass boats make extensive use of coring/sandwich construction, and most all production boat builders do not seal it with more than caulking. So core condition is something to watch for and check out prior to buying (any year).

Sunbeam
TimButterfield

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, George and Sunbeam. I meant more of a time within a year and not the whole of a model year. Maybe it's my memory playing tricks on me, but I thought there was some mention of factory or owner changes that increased what needed to be looked at for boats made during certain periods. It's good to know the 2009 is not likely to have been affected, though I may have to worry about other years if this one doesn't pan out.

I have ruled out some based on lack of a feature. For example, my wife must have a forward facing seat across from me. Not being able to flip the front dinette seat to face forward has ruled out the older 22 Cruisers as I don't have the space or time to make that change myself. I think that is the only critical feature we must have.

I agree about the condition check, very important. I think, for me, that may be more important than how outfitted as some outfitting changes can be done later. Motors get replaced. Heat can be added. Electronics have improved. Canvas may need to be replaced. Outfitting is an opportunity to customize, which can be done over time as us noobs we learn what we want and like. It can be more difficult to improve condition.

Thanks.

Tim
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: C-Dory Timeline? Reply with quote

TimButterfield wrote:
Hi, all. I know there have been mentions in various posts and threads of the changes throughout C-Dory history and the various moves and owners. I've even read them. I just don't remember the details. Is there a timeline compilation sticky somewhere that shows when these changes occurred? I'm considering a 2009 to slip in Cap Sante and am wondering if that's a more or less risky year.

Thanks.

Tim

What risk, the boat or Cape Sante as a place to put it? I'd check out both. Stay away from FaceBook timeline, Don't ask me how I know... Shocked

If you use FB or the TimeLine, check your privacy settings closely!

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
TimButterfield

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Charley. I have an FB account, but don't post to it. It's just to separate this me from the others of the same name.

By risk, I was referring to the boat and the possibility of buying something from another region of the country far away from me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: