The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

wiper electrical problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Golerud

City/Region: Bella Vista
State or Province: AR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: SLOGO
Photos: SLOGO
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: wiper electrical problem Reply with quote

We just returned to Arkansas from Northern Idaho with our 23' Cape cruiser. After arriving home as I was checking the boat out, I noticed that the LED on the port windshield wiper switch was on. The switch was in the off position and when I turned it to the on position, the wiper did not operate. I checked the fuse and it is good. I checked all the terminals on the back of the switch and all are in place. The wiper worked just fine prior to starting the trip home.

I don't know much about DC electrical systems and don't know where to start looking for the problem so need some suggestions on what to check.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Gary
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: wipers Reply with quote

We have a CC-23 with 2 windshield wipers they both crapped out right after buying the boat in 2008 . We have been using Rain-ex with great success .Sorry about your problem
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately this is a simple circuit so troubleshooting is straightforward. Voltage from the battery goes to the fuse then to the switch then to the wiper motor.

First ensure your battery is fully charged. If it's too low the motor might not run but you might see the switch light. Test at the input to the wiper switch for about 12.5 volts. Voltage under 12 means your battery needs charging.

Next test the output of the switch in the on position. One of the wires on the back of the switch should show voltage only when the switch is on.

If that checks out then either the wiper motor is shot or there's a bad connection at the motor itself. Remove the motor and make sure the wires are connected securely then check for voltage at that point. Though a long shot, it's possible the negative lead has detached somewhere preventing the circuit from completing.

The hardest part of this job will probably be getting the wiper arm off!

Good luck!
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: wiper arm removal Reply with quote

If you figure out how to get the wiper arms off let me know as I have not been able to remove mine for 3 yrs.
I want to replace them with pantograph(sp) ones.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: wipers Reply with quote

My wipers are frozen or shall we say rusted on,they can not be easily removed .I think wild blue Jim B. suggested using a dremel tool to take them off and then get new motors and wiper replacements . That's when I decided to use Rain-ex works better for florida weather We don't have intermittent mist like PNW .Its usually very sunny or it's monsoon afternoon's .good Luck with your wiring suggestions and hope they work .
Golerud

City/Region: Bella Vista
State or Province: AR
Vessel Name: SLOGO
Photos: SLOGO
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Wiper electrical problem Reply with quote

Fellow C-Brats

First of all, thank you for the responses to my question and problem. This AM I checked the electrical and all is correct and fine The voltage read 12.8. It took a bit of time but was able to remove the wiper arm and pull the wiper motor out. The motor is BURNED up. It got warm enough to heat and deform the plastic case. It is an AFI model 36110. If I am reading the code on the back of the case correctly, it was manufactured in December of 2005.

There was no corrosion on the wiper arm where it attached to the motor. Everything is brass and since the boat has rarely seen salt water, I guess I lucked out.

All that is left to do is spend a couple hundred $$ for a new motor.

Thanks again.
Gary
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: wiper arm removal Reply with quote

A small Dremel with a cutting wheel may be the best thing to use to split the arm where it attaches to the splined shaft.
My problem is that all of that is jambed up under the cabin brow over the windshield.
Now it will be a spring project as my boat is "under the covers" for the winter.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: