The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sleeping comfort on 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jhenglish

City/Region: Decatur
State or Province: AL
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Sleeping comfort on 25 Reply with quote

We looked at a 22 recently, and the v berth seemed considerably smaller than anticipated... Is the 25 significantly larger? I am 6 feet, 190 lbs, and the 22 v berth seemed pretty cramped.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about your size. Quite a few of us spend many months in a row aboard. We find it very comfortable and veryliveable. We've been as long as 11 months continuos use and best bunk on any boat I've been aboard. Lots of us put a foam topper on and some cut out the bilkhead ( we have not). The 25 has a somewhat bigger feel all over. Quite different boats though. The 25 is great and has different truck and power needs than the 22. Good luck on your search. George

Last edited by ghone on Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 5'10 and my wife is 5'2. Seems comfortable enough for us. Although I don't know the difference in actual measurements between a 22 vs a 25.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the spec sheets the 25 berth is 2" longer than the 22. It is a few inches wider (something less than 10"). I don't think the headroom in the berth is any different.

I'm 5'11" 170#. My wife is 5'8". We have plenty of space in the berth. The only issue is headroom. You need to be careful when suddenly sitting up, but it is something you get used to. We find the stock cushion to be very comfortable.
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6' tall (and not thin!). One of the main reasons we went for the Venture 23 was the berth size. The berth is only an inch longer than the 22 but as the boat is a bit wider and taller it felt considerable larger when compared side-by-side with the 22.

As some have mentioned, however, we did have to upgrade our tow vehicle. Loaded for cruising I'd estimate the boat in the high 5000 lb range.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sleeping comfort on 25 Reply with quote

Jhenglish wrote:
We looked at a 22 recently, and the v berth seemed considerably smaller than anticipated... Is the 25 significantly larger? I am 6 feet, 190 lbs, and the 22 v berth seemed pretty cramped.

We spent months at a time onboard our 25. We considered the 22 when we were first looking, but felt the extra space with the 25 best fit our usage. You may find that you sleep at a bit of a diagonal to get the most length in the V-berth. The 25 does have nearly a foot more beam than the 22. And more space in the aisle. More storage. The enclosed head with shower. Hot and cold pressure water. Bigger cockpit. 6'10" cabin height. Plus more.

As George said, the 25 weighs about a ton more than the 22, so there is more power required on the water and for a suitable tow vehicle.

Good luck with the decisions.

Jim B.
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are that if you feel its small now, then go bigger. Once you get all your cruising and fishing gear aboard, it gets tight quick.

While smaller can be better in terms of fuel, towing, single handling, the 22 felt a bit cramped for us.

We quickly moved to considering the 25 cruiser and settled on the tomcat 24. Finally we moved to the 255 tomcat and feel like we have everything we could need. At this point, we do not desire any other larger size boat.
Alexander

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Alexander
Photos: Alexander
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought the 25 for the same reason. I'm 6'4" 210lbs and I can sleep on the port side of the V-berth just fine. We also chose not to cut the bulkhead and have no trouble getting in and out once you develop the right moves.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A C-Dory 25 is considerably bigger than a 22. That said, ALL C-Dorys are small boats, compared with the rest of the boating world. So we're talking small boats right?

First, if you thing the 22 bunk is small, think about the rest of the boat. Bill and El cruised a 22 for months, but Judy and I can't. We've been in Journey On for 2 months in the San Juans and Strait of Georgia and that 25 seems very small. But it has a head which gives some privacy, a refrigerator and I can find a reasonable positions in the V-berth with which to sleep with Judy, though there may be some territorial discussions during the night. She's 5' 6" and i was 6' 2". Any smaller boat and we go home a lot earlier. and you need to cut out the V-berth opening. I fought it for years, but it makes all the difference in the world.

The 25 is heavier and bigger to haul. And it needs a 150 HP motor. Worth it, but that's us.

So you have your choice of two small boats: a 22 and a 25. Understand, they're both small. For day trips I envy the 22 owners, but we're cruisers so we need the 25. For a couple of days I'm sure one can put up with a 22 but for a couple of months, it's the 25. At the moment we're in a RV park near San Francisco, visiting kids. I think of that as another good thought for the 25.

So, it's not just the V-berth room but the totality of how you want to use the boat. Worrying about the V-Berth room is just one factor.

Boris
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For day trips I envy the 22 owners, but we're cruisers so we need the 25.

Very true. I also envy them when I single-hand her. But when we first looked at them I took the wife to a boat show and they only had a 22. She got on board and the first thing out of her mouth once she walked into the cabin was "Oh, this is too small". Surprised Cool When she finally got on a 25, with the larger cabin and enclosed head, she was happy. It took a new (used) truck but we feel the 25 is more designed to what we do and plan to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: