The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

AC, Generator, Refrigation installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy & Dixie

City/Region: Silver Springs
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Way
Photos: C-Way
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: AC, Generator, Refrigation installation Reply with quote

After all the help and advice concerning a generator, refrig and AC install, I thought I would post my final outcome. Mission creep seems to define what has occurred. I had a never used W-M 5000BTU AC and had spent an unbearable hot night anchored out on Fla's ST Johns River. If you have an AC you need a gen to run it. If you have a gen and are tired of fighting a cooler with melted ice and spoiled food, you might as well get a 12v chest freezer/refrig. If you use too much 12v power, you need a way to keep house batt charged. If you don't want to drill any additional holes in the boat and want to be able to remove the AC in the future, you need to figure a way to install the AC without doing so. I have taken and posted pictures of the outcome with some description of what/how it was accomplished. PS, I also had 4 new 175/80 radial tires installed on the trailer.

"C-Way" Silver Springs, FL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed your new photo album last night and took a look. Nice mods! I like how you thought a bit outside the box on the AC and refrigerator install. With the refrigerator not being an "event" that includes lots of water/sorting/cleaning I could see some real benefits to having it where you do (I put the porta-potti in the cockpit at night, although so far I have put it back in the designated spot during the day, but that could change). I'm amazed that the refrigerator was not bothersome at night - I would have thought the sound would have resonated in the V-berth area. Sounds like you're going to love the mods. Thanks for posting the photos and (especially) the detailed descriptions.

Sunbeam

PS: Last week I raised my engine to the lowest hole, like you did last year. Will be interesting to see how that goes

PPS: Looking at the photos again, I'm interested in what I can see of the port/co-pilot seat area. Looks like a different arrangement than a typical 1999 22 Cruiser would have. If you have modded it, I'm sure it's got some great ideas built in (on the other hand, it looks like you have the dealer-upgrade fitted carpeting there, so maybe your boat came with an alternative arrangement?)

Roy & Dixie

City/Region: Silver Springs
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Way
Photos: C-Way
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPS: Looking at the photos again, I'm interested in what I can see of the port/co-pilot seat area. Looks like a different arrangement than a typical 1999 22 Cruiser would have. If you have modded it, I'm sure it's got some great ideas built in (on the other hand, it looks like you have the dealer-upgrade fitted carpeting there, so maybe your boat came with an alternative arrangement?)

Sunbeam, My floor plan is quiet different, but it came that way. I can tell it was not modified by a previous owner. Both pilot and co-pilot seats face forward. I have raised both seats 4" for better forward visibility when on plane. There is no dinette, The area aft of the co-pilot seat is one long hinged seat with the water tank under aft portion and a large, deep storage area under the cushion in the area which would have been the dinette. The table that can be seen in a couple of the pictures is moved into the cabin when meals are served inside. The leg is the right height both inside and out. Enough room remains for us to sit on opposite sides of the table as though it was a dinette. Our leg room is not under the table but out toward the galley area. A little awkward, but it works. We are away from home and the boat for several days. When back home I'll take pictures of the floor plan.

The refrigerator is so quiet when running that it is hardly detectable. I have a white noise device which I run at night with several sound choices. I use "Rain" sound. It is 115v unit which gets it's power from a small inverter plugged into 12v. So I cannot hear the refrig at all. If it's too quiet and I can't sleep.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a nice layout - I guess maybe I have seen one other 22 like that. I figured it must be stock as you have the little snap-in carpets like I do, but with your setup. I have considered doing something different with the port side myself. Either just having a full length settee or somehow having a comfortable chair or etc. So far I've just stuck with the dinette, but whereas I would likely never change the starboard side, to me the port side is a little bit more of a flexible/blank slate.
TimButterfield

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy & Dixie wrote:
I have a white noise device which I run at night with several sound choices. I use "Rain" sound. It is 115v unit which gets it's power from a small inverter plugged into 12v. So I cannot hear the refrig at all. If it's too quiet and I can't sleep.
There's an app for that. I use a 99 cent app called Go Mix It for our sleep sounds. Depending on background noise volume, we use either the iPad speakers or an external bluetooth speaker. You can test it free here or here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: