The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wallas stove help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blake

City/Region: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Fury
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Wallas stove help Reply with quote

'08 22' Cruiser w/ fan-top Wallas
Our Wallas stove works good but it sure smells a heavy kerosene odour inside the cabinet below when we switch it on. The smell does dissapate after a while but we don't dare store any unsealed food in there. i've carefully examined the metal flex duct for any cracks and found nothing. Looking for any suggestions in helping stop or reduce the smell.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was working, we had a machine that blew some sort of fake smoke.... it didn't smell or leave any trace...we used it to find door seal and vent leaks in cars... In the absence of one of those machines, you could always find a heavy smoker to blow from the outside into the exhaust pipe...while you look for smoke from under the stove...
I think that is double walled pipe... the exhaust goes thru the intermost pipe.

Joel
Blake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Wallas Stove Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Sounds like it's worth a try.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blake. First thought of course is leaks either at the fill cap or vent fittings. Or inlet hose to the burner or at the fuel pump. Is the smell raw kerosene or combusted kerosene? That would give a clue as to which side of the burner is suspect. You may have an obstructed outlet also. Be sure no fenders or dinghies cover the exhaust outlet (I know of several scorched dinghies due to being near the outlet!). and no debris is in there. Pinhole leak in hoses anywhere? Pinched hoses? Drip ip by burner? Hope you find it. Thats no fun having that smell. Had a diesel stove once that did the same. Eventually traced to a leak in the day tank. Couldn't get to it to fix it however. Placed there prior to deck install. Arrgg.
Blake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Wallas Stove Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions. The odor is one of combustion gasses rather than raw kerosene. I did check both the filler cap and lines for any escaping fuel just the same. As I said the odor passes soon-after the stove is getting hot. It's just on the initial ignition. It's something like smoke from a wood-stove which stops as soon as the flue gets warm. I'm more just wondering if this is normal. Also I did check the outside for any obstruction. I have noticed the flue pipe rises behind the stove before to drops to the through-hull exhaust. I assume this is normal and it there to prevent any water from entering.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model stove is it specifically? Not all were designed to use kerosene.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: