New C-Dory 22 Owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrexj71860

City/Region: Montgomery
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Horse
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: New C-Dory 22 Owner Reply with quote

I just completed a 2000 mile round trip to pick up my new to me 2002 CD 22 cruiser (Hull #CD022047F202). She was located in Jeffersonville, KY. Some of you may have seen her on Yachtworld. The boat is in great shape and I'm really looking forward to learning all about her. We will name her C-Horse for her new Texas home.

My wife will post about her upgrades along the way with the first post being located at http://www.mrspadillystravels.com/newest-member-to-the-fleet-c-dory-22-cruiser-c-horse/.

She does not have a shore power system and this may be one of my first projects (aside from good old fashioned cleaning from stem to stern).

NOTE: This is my first powerboat. I'm a life long sailor and have never had an outboard motor bigger than 8 hp. I have a lot to learn!!!

Looking forward to reading posts and learning about this great boat!

Mike & Donna Johnson
Montgomery, TX
CD22 Cruiser - C-Horse
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new boat! There are quite a few sailors here - I hope you feel at home Thumbs Up

I have a sibling of yours (another 2002 22 Cruiser) and am very fond of her Love

Welcome!

Sunbeam
mrexj71860

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Sibling! I take if from my hull number that mine is number 47. Would that be correct?

I'm not surprised that there are a bunch of sailors here. I still have a Sea Pearl 21 that I just can't give up!

Mike
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrexj71860 wrote:
Howdy Sibling! I take if from my hull number that mine is number 47. Would that be correct?

Yes, it is hull #47, however (trivia alert):

The #47 is somewhat arbitrary in terms of the overall number of them. What I mean is that they were numbered up to #999 and then -- apparently because there is not room for a 4-digit hull number in the official HIN format -- they just started over again at either 000 or 001 (just before building mine, as it happens). On mine the hull was laid in late 2001 for a 2002 model year boat. Yours was laid in June (letter F in the HIN) of 2002 for a 2002 model year (so somewhere around 50 of them were built as 2002's before yours and I would guess around 100 for the year if production stayed about the same).

I've always thought the Sea Pearl looked like a fun boat. I remember reading Ron Hoddinot's (sp?) adventures sailing one in the old Messing About in Boats and thinking it sounded so fantastic. Have you read the blog (actually mailings) of Steve and Ginny (now plus young 'un) who have cruised theirs to South America and are now on their way back? Talk about adventure!
mrexj71860

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subscribe to Small Craft Advisor and each month the adventures of Steve, Ginny, now George and Thurston are featured in the magazine. I've camped on my Sea Pearl enough to know it is a tight fit for one person much less two plus child. I don't know how they do it and I don't think I would want to try it.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! You will certainly enjoy the C-Dory as it is happy cruising at 5 or 6 kts as it is up on top at 12 - 14 kts. Camping will seem like you are in a hotel suite compared to camping in the Sea Pearl...
My boat is also an '02 (CDO22943L001) and my wife and I both enjoy the pleasure of the C-Brats while traveling as well as just going out and "messing about".
I like you am a sailor and have not parted ways with that hobby yet and hope that I can continue sailing until I can't see or walk anymore.
If you need assistance with the 110 AC mod, feel free to call and I can walk you through it with the least pain and cost.
Best regards,
Steve Baum
C: 757-477-1453

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:

My boat is also an '02 (CDO22943L001) and my wife and I both enjoy the pleasure of the C-Brats while traveling as well as just going out and "messing about".

Not that this is a big deal (just like the day after your birthday you are not suddenly much older than the day before), but I just thought you might like to know that your boat is a 2001 (also just to clarify how HIN's work).

In modern HIN's (like our vintage), the last four digits are what indicate build/year information. The very last two digits are the year of the boat, hence "01" indicates a 2001 model year boat. The first two digits (of the last four) indicate the month and year the hull was laid (i.e. construction began). The letters just count up sequentially and stand for the month. So in your case "L0" means the hull was laid in December ("L") of 2000.

My boat is also a "split year" - it's quite common with an early boat in any given model year for them to have started the build at the end of the previous year. In my case the last four digits are K102, meaning it is a 2002 model year and the hull was laid in November of 2001.

Sunbeam

PS: Neat that the adventures of the Sea Pearl Thurston are on Small Craft Advisor now Thumbs Up
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized that it might have been nice if I had said something about the rest of the HIN. So, taking Osprey for an example:

CDO22943L001

The first three digits are the official abbreviation of whatever company built the boat. In this case "CDO" is C-Dory (earlier and later C-Dorys may have different codes due to different builders; for example the one before CDO was DOR (Tolands).

The next two digits are the model, in this case it's a 22

The next three are the hull number. Here it is 943. As I mentioned above, sometime between late 2001 and early 2002 they got up to 999 and so started over at either 000 or 001. Osprey is hull number 943.

The next two digits (as mentioned in last post) are the month and year the hull was laid (build begun). In this case L = December (A = January; B = February, etc.) and 0 = 2000.

The last two digits are the model year of the boat. In this case 01 indicating 2001.

In previous times HINs were laid out differently, but this style is the one that still prevails today.
mrexj71860

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good HIN information!

Steve - I would like some advice on the 110V power system. I'm not sure when I'll get to this but will look you up when I do!

My Honda 90 is in need of a carburetor rebuild and general tune up. I found dead batteries as well when I first dipped her in our local lake. First cruise was foiled!!!

I'm very happy with my purchase and will enjoy learning this boat.

Mike
CD22 C-Horse
jhspear

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Obsession
Photos: Obsession
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Welcome to the C-Brats Reply with quote

Congratulations!!

It was just a year ago that I found my C-Dory, purchasing her in October from her former owner in Bamfield, WI. Interesting that you have a Sea Pearl because that is exactly what I had at the time I bought my 22. My Sea Pearl was sold the the month after I bought my C-Dory

One of my first posts was a query about what to do to improve my boat. The majority of those who replied said to install a windlass which I did. While I don't regret having done so, in retrospect I wish I had waited a bit and spent a bit more time in the boat on the water before making some of those decisions. One thing I did do was resist installing shore power and to date I am glad that I have not. I did install a battery charger and the means to power it with an extension cord.

I also attended a C-Dory gathering and the number of ideas one can gather there is tremendous. But clearly every boat and boat owner is different so I will pick and choose as I continue to use the boat.

It's a great boat. Good choice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: