The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

A sort of simple battery question for a Venture 23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chimoii

State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: A sort of simple battery question for a Venture 23 Reply with quote

After 6 years our Interstate batteries are going strong but after two nights on the hook the house battery was all but drained. It's was running the fridge but wouldn't start the Wallas for morning tea. I measured up and obviously a 27 will fit nicely instead of the 24. The capacity gain, however, seems minimal so I looked at a group 29. That gives me a 50% gain over a 24 so is worthwhile.

For those who know the battery placing in a 23 Venture, I have the house battery slotted in first and the cranking battery immediately in front of the hatch. A 29 is 1/8" narrower, 1/2" higher and 2" longer. I have the length OK but the problem is the height. There is a very slight taper to the inside of the transom and the 24 only just makes the width. Carrying even a slightly narrower battery higher wouldn't fit so I have swapped the two battery locations. (Before you ask I have also swapped the connections so that the blue sea system knows which is which.) The 29 fits fine in the position in front of the door. Now comes the question:

Has anyone done this? The 29 is about 30lbs heavier than the 24, almost double the original. Any issues with almost 100lbs of battery in this box? I doubt it will be an issue but just thought I would ask.

Thanks

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to your Venture-specific questions, but I'll just mention the Group 31 battery. A Group 31 is almost exactly the same physical size as a Group 27, but packs more amp hours. Usually something over 100.

On the 22 I have I have a Group 31 that is 115 amp hours (Full River DC 115-12). For my RV I actually got some "jumbo" Group 31's: Same physical size as other Group 31's but 125 amp hours (Lifeline GPL31XT) . I asked how they got 12 pounds of flour in a 10 pound sack and they explained. Apparently the plates inside are sort of two-sided, but in a regular group 31 there is an "unmated" end one (or maybe one on each end). In the XT they put in an extra half plate(s) to match up with the end one(s), and hence get more amp hours in the same case.

Just a thought if a Group 27 will fit - the 31 gives you more for the same size (it does weigh slightly more).
chimoii

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thought, thanks. I looked at the Lifeline and the regular (same number without the X ) is about the same capacity as the Interstate 29. I would look at the XT but the closest dealer is in Vancouver. The XT must be really beefy with a 71 lb weight. Maybe more than I need.

I do appreciate the response.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: A sort of simple battery question for a Venture 23 Reply with quote

If your in your boat for the long term, I would think about putting a couple group 31 AGM's up under the two v berth compartments closest to the berth cabin partition. One in each side. Then to get really crazy and spring for a solar panel to be mounted somewhere up on the roof or cantilevered back over the cockpit if need be. I would then put a smaller just a start battery in the transom area. I'm thinking of doing exactly that as I feel my two group 27's which are in the motor well compartment are extra weight back there I don't need. I want to add a 10hp kicker and there is another 100 pounds on the transom. I feel the extra weight up forward will keep what little v that the 23's have up front in the water without having to keep our motor trimmed almost all the way down for normal running. Just my opinion here.
D.D.

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 22, not a Venture/23, but I just opened up the space under the v-berth and I'm thinking the exact same thing: A pair of house batteries under the after ends of the berth -- on each P & S right up against the saloon bulkhead -- solar panel(s), and then just keep the small start battery in the lazarette aft (where it is now). I like to anchor out, so I'd be doing this instead of a shore power type system (not that you couldn't have both, but I mean I would prioritize this for my style of boating).

Since I don't use a huge amount of power on the boat, I might go with Group 27's instead of 31's to save 20# or so (sure wish the Sam's Club's out west had the Duracell AGM Group 31's like they do out east - then I'd go 31's for sure).
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Sam's Club member and order items not stocked at my store from their web site with free shipping to my store.

Maybe the western stores do the same

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: A sort of simple battery question for a Venture 23 Reply with quote

In looking at Sam's Club site on this specific item it notes they are only available in certain listed states. I don't know about B.C. Duracell might have another distributor agreement that they won't let Sammy step on.
D.D.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, as far as I know only certain eastern states Crying or Very sad They are a great deal!
BrentB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the price?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-deep-cycle-marine-and-rv-battery-group-size-31dtmagm/prod3590232.ip?navAction=push
DuraCELL GROUP 31 agm
$180 st my store
chimoii

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i answered my own question this morning. A nice new SRM29 from Interstate is now in place. It fits nice and snug and the weight difference isnt significant.

Thanks all
BrentB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: battery Reply with quote

We have 2006 cape cruiser 23 with 2 group 27 batteries 107 amp hours with a ON/ Off /both ,switch that have been going for a few years .we have the guest 10 amp 5/5 charger we plug in once in awhile so far so good .we dont anchor out that often usually use as day tripping
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: battery Reply with quote

Double
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is timely. I have run into the exact problem on our CC23: fridge runs fine but the extended 15 amp draw of the Wallas on startup just doesn't cut it with a depleted battery.

I'll probably add a couple group 31 AGM batteries under the sink for now and will probably upgrade the charger while I'm at it.

Someday if I tackle foam removal/hatch install under the v-berth I'll move them up there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: