The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New camperback - a few detail questions for the gang....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: New camperback - a few detail questions for the gang.... Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Looks like I'm going to get a camperback in a couple of weeks. I'm excited but a bit daunted, too. I want to get it right.

On the basic design, I'm going to follow most of the "EQ recommendations" (which I've saved whenever I've read them), and the fellow making it has made a number of those camperbacks. But on the other hand, he'll do whatever I specify.... if only I know what to ask for. Man, there are so many details Shocked

1) Color.
Seems like the obvious choices are blue (like my bimini), or some sort of tan or grey, either lighter or darker. I do think some of the dark colors are sharp on the C-Dory, but on other boats I've always felt more like I want to see the boat, not the canvas (meaning go with taupe, grey, etc.).

2) Phiftertex mesh screens.
I was just looking at a camperback made by the same place (on another 22) and instead of the usual "screen" material for the screens, it used Phifertex mesh. I woul see some plusses to this (more privacy, more sunblocking, more airflow), but I wonder how it does at keeping mosquitoes etc. at bay. Maybe folks in the PNW are a bit "spoiled" as the mosquitoes are not that bad up here - or maybe it is just fine. Being from the Great Lakes.... solid steel is sometimes not enough Smile

3) Privacy curtains.
It seems that one set of clear "glass" panels and one set of screened panels is how this place usually does it (but they will do something else if I want it, however I would have to know what I want so I can tell them). I wonder about solid privacy curtains. On the one hand, there is only so much canvas I can stow! And I typically anchor out, so don't have super close neighbors. But sometimes it might be nice. I was thinking that if a full set of dedicated curtains was too much, then maybe one curtain panel I could snap up on any of the sides? How do others handle this? Just make your own lightweight curtain later? Rely on the screens and the cabin curtains (i.e. go inside)?

4) Back to the "glass" windows and the screens....
This place typically makes them so you either have the "glass" in and the screened panels stowed, or vice-versa. I can see that would be clean. But does anyone have it so the "other" panels roll up and stow in place?

I can only think of about two hundred additional questions... jeepers Smile

I've read a bunch of other (useful!) threads, but still wanted to ask a few new questions.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just made our own lightweight panels that velcro to a few tabs on the inside of each window. We have used the rear panel the most to keep eyes our of the cabin. Total privacy in the cockpit is rarely something we need.

Keep the questions coming,

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,

Color. On a previous boat I had a dark green bimini. In the Keys it was noticeably warmer (much warmer) beneath the bimini. On my previous CD22 the camper canvas was "cadet grey" (light gray), and on our CC23 the camper canvas is beige. Both seem cooler in my opinion.

As for the sunbrella itself, think about using a Sunbrella product called SeaTech (or somethinglike that). It's Sunbrella with a waterPROOF underside lining. Sunbrella is quite water repellent, but SeaTech is actually waterPROOF and I found it handy for periods of long and heavy rain, when regular Sunbrella begins to 'wick water through the material. (However, SeaTech will also cause interior moisture to condense inside when condition are right, if the cockpit windows are in place.)

And, as I've confessed many times: don't use Tenara (gore) thread on your camperback. It will likely cause the canvas to leak, and require seam sealing. Use a normal good grade of thread (it swells and doesn't pass waterlike the Tenara). Tenara is very good for storage covers that are exposed to the sun. Don't ask how I learned the Tenara-leak-lesson!

Screen. Our CC23 camperback has built-in screens that cannot be removed. The plastic windows rollup on the inside and are held in place with straps, or can be completely removed and stored. It's kind of a toss-up which design is better. both have an upside and a downside, but either one works. When you make a decision on the screen material to be used ask for the one with the finest grid. NO screening will keep out ALL the 'squito's, and even if it did the little buggers will find a way-in through any gaps even in well made camper canvas.

Privacy. We don't have any privacy covers for the cockpit or the cabin and it's seldom an issue. We do have snap-on sunscreens that can be placed on either/both sides for sun protection, and that works pretty well for privacy if we feel we need it. When we bought the boat it came with a full set of very nice custom made interior privacy curtains. We've used them Once; it's easier to just leave them at home.

We'll be out of contact for about four weeks, so I'll miss the comments on your camperback thread. Sad

Oh my God ... no C-Brat's for almost a month. We're already going into withdrawl!!!!

Best,
Casey&Mary

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camperbacks on these boats are like a "bonus room". We have the Eisenglass panels with internal screens, and they work great. On the rare occasion we need privacy (more likely it would be some sun blocking), we hang towels that are the same color as the camperback. Easy, and a second utility for the towels.

You're going to love having that camperback!
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bimini on Our first set of camperbacks zipped open only from one side. That made docking and getting off the boat from the other side more difficult. So, consider having yours made to unzip from both sides (our 2nd set does that and we like it.) you might also consider having the side panels made a little bigger to make getting into and out of the boat a little easier.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We paid a bunch for the camper back and immediately noticed that we simply didn't have all the privacy or, more importantly sun blocking with just the glass and the screen. So we went to a fabric store and bought a nice color matching heavy duty material and went the velcro tab rout. All 3 pieces we use will pack into a space about the size of a small box of Kleenex. Camper back without full sun blocking is not good on the water in the summer time.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,

Check with the provider of your camperback on the type of insect screening. The key question, put forcefully if needed, is whether the mesh is no see um proof. These little guys are very tiny, but all mouth. Likely you had similar critters in the Midwest. Look over the REI catalog and note many of the backpackkng tent blurbs specify noseeum proof screening. Take the catalog with you if needed, or even a swatch of the stuff. REI Seattle has a remnants stash, or maybe you can buy just a little to take to the camperback provider. If you have to, buy enough from REI or Seattle Fabrics (good people) and hand it to the camperback folks ahead of sewing.

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstoriaDave wrote:
Sunbeam,

Check with the provider of your camperback on the type of insect screening. The key question, put forcefully if needed, is whether the mesh is no see um proof. These little guys are very tiny, but all mouth. . . ..

Agree completely. If you are contemplating using the camperback in the PNW/Inside Passage, then anything but the smallest mesh is just laughable. Squadrons of no-see-ums flying in formation can pass through a single opening in standard screening. Then they will bite your eyelids and the inside of your nose and ears, and do their level best to get at your lungs. They can make you pray for wind and rain.

I have some experience with these critters - my daughter lives on an island in S.E. Alaska. Her house is on No-See-Um Lane.

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions (and "anti-suggestions"). I've been putting off this camperback project for over two years, -- partially because of scheduling/location conflicts, but MOSTLY because I'm just scared to do it! There are so many options, and getting them right or wrong can make a big difference in the every day experience of the boat. Figuring it all out is so daunting that I just kept not doing it. And now I'm nervous as a kitten hoping I get it right (or at least mostly right). This thread is going to really help, I can tell, and I'm most appreciative to all of you who take the time to reply.

Now to sort out a meaningful response (will be back to post it).

Thanks!
Sunbeam
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I saw this directly mentioned, but We specifically had our camperback built such that the full side on both sides would be open when that side was unzipped. The reason is for Access from the dock. Our gunnel is typically right at dock height, and to have any smaller opening than from the cabin, back to the splash well, makes access difficult. We are not big people and are reasonably mobile.

Some camperbacks have been owner preferred to have narrower openings in the sides or even "sub openings" in the sides.

Different stroke for different folks.

I think you can sweat the details too much. The big gain is to get that part of the boat out of the weather and privacy and more room to roam. You'll be so happy to have those two problems solved that the little compromises that you make are pretty far back in second place. In other words, you will be happy with any decent configuration. Lots of good advice above though.
bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have gotten some good advice, here's my 2cents:

Zippers on both sides at the cabin roof are essential for both egress and access to the cabin roof. We store things there.

Have the canvas extend past the lazaretts. Our original King Canvas top ended at the motor well. We extended the new canvas past the lazzeretts and what a difference! It made our new room seem HUGE.

We have never felt the need for privacy curtains and it would be that much more to stow.

I have pictures of our canvas in our album under mods.

Good luck, we use our canvas a lot.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that most cb's only cover the cockpit area. We had ours made to extend to the back of the boat, so we could access the lazaretts if needed- the extra room is nice too.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider. If you're going to have a cooler rack, have the back made to fit around the cooler.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the Phifertex mesh. It is made for sun block or under lay on cushions, not insect stoppage. Of all of the camper backs I have owned, the custom one on the Tom Cat was the best. The boarding area zipped out entirely, if you wished, The Bimini top had two zippers to the center on both sides, so that the panel could be accessed from either side, or completely removed.

Color--looks best to match the boat's other canvas/stripes. The tan is the best as far as being cool/no glare, and dirt hiding. Maybe next is the light grey. Negative on the off whites.

The problem with materials which do not breath is mildew and condensation on the inside. I find Sunbrella is water proof enough--or even better yet the material used on my Slide toppers by German or swiss corporation--I'll have to get the name.

Frame, 1" SS, with full self supporting is best. I agree over the motor well--but then there is an issue of the motor tilt up.

We don't use the camper much in hot areas, just the Bimini. We did small side windows on the Tom Cat, with no screens, and made real no see em net for full sides when we were anchored. You can get great no see em net from military surplus--cheap and very durable.

If you are having it put in, then roll up, or zip out the clear--no-see-em to be permeant.

I would debate Casey about the Tenara--and sealing the seams.

I have made snaps which allow pulling the sides up over the Bimini, and snap into place, thus no flying down with winds.

We used The vinyl bolt rope holder on the sides of the cabin, as well as the top--and gave more "waterproof" sides--zipper like the top for convience, and easier than using snaps on the sides.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is so much information here! Thank you, thank you!

potter water wrote:

I think you can sweat the details too much.

Probably, but I don't think I have time for a personality transplant between now and next weekend Mr. Green Mr. Green

potter water wrote:
The big gain is to get that part of the boat out of the weather and privacy and more room to roam.

This is what I'm telling myself as the "dark" side of me says: But it won't be perfect, you haven't done enough research, your bimini is fine, just cancel and do it next year after you have had a chance to see other people's at Powell!"

But okay, deep breath...

First I'm just going to list a few things that I "know" I'm going to go for so those don't have to be debated (although always open to others' ideas):

1) Full zips from sides to center where it attaches to cabin roof (and bolt rope for attaching forward zipper piece to cabin. I have this already on my bimini and functions really well, as you all said.

2) Full length to around after end of lazarette hatches.

3) Screens and "glass" panels for sure (not sure about how they will roll up or attach though). Privacy/sun curtain to be rigged separately as needed - maybe put something in from the start to use as attachment point.

4) Either dark blue to match boat, or a lighter grey or greyish tan for cooler/nicer color light underneath. Not too light as I don't want every spec of dirt to make it look cruddy.

Other stuff I'm less solid on:

A) It sounds as though my suspicion about the Phifertex not being useful for "real" bugs is correct. Too bad, as it is a nice look and very sturdy, but.... I do want to keep the bugs out if I'm in mosquito country. I'm willing to take addtiional "temporary" measures for no-see-ums though.

B) Bolt rope on the sides.... hmmm, will think about that, I can see where it could be useful.

C) Tenara.... glad this was brought up. Having re-stiched a set of Sunbrella on a sailboat for the THIRD time (typical boat thread wore out that many times due to UV but Sunbrella was still fine) I was going to specify Tenara. OTOH, my boat is not going to be sitting out in the tropics all the time. And I have read it is slightly harder to sew with, and don't want the fellow "getting the hang of a new product to him" on my boat. And although I have sealed seams on outdoor gear in years past, it would be nicer not to have to. So... this is still a question in my mind.

D) Having the waterproof Sunbrella on the top: I see where it could cause condensation issues. OTOH I wonder about just doing it on the top panel but not the sides. May be a non-issue as that would only be an option for certain colors.

E) Maybe the rolls get in a way a bit, but it would sure be nice not to have the four (or more?) "other" panels taking up spaced on the boat. I don't tend to "boat from my home garage," so it's not like I could just leave the panels I wasn't going to use home for the weekend. If anyone has a set of roll up windows they like the function of, would you be able to point me to a photo? Or explain them?

F) Where to terminate it aft: I'm going to have him go around the after end of the lazarette covers for sure - I like that spacious look. The one I looked at Thursday (made by same fellow, on a 22) had the middle section snapped right to the forward end of the splashwell. I have a home-made "counter" there (like Bill and El's) that runs across and is around 11-1/2" deep, so I was going to see if he could make that be "in" the camperback, knowing that it might cause some interference with the engine all the way up though. Does anyone have one like that? That ends sort of "half way back" across the splashwell?

I've probably missed some things, but I will go back and read it all again and then maybe re-post anything I missed but wanted to ask about. Now I just wish I could go look at a few before I bring my boat in (a week from from now)! If anyone has one they love (or hate) anywhere between Port Angeles and Bellingham that I could take a look at, I would try to arrange to come do that. If it were somewhere on the Olympic Peninsula, I would try to come by car before I have the boat in tow.

Thanks!

Sunbeam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: