The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda 2000 extended fuel system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy & Dixie

City/Region: Silver Springs
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Way
Photos: C-Way
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Honda 2000 extended fuel system Reply with quote

I'm excited; my new Honda 2000 is due for delivery by FedEx tomorrow. I had thought the holiday weekend would cause it to arrive mid week next week. I have a 3 gal Atwood tank on order from WM (my old steel 5 gal tank that I had planned to use had rusted badly while just sitting around unused and empty for a couple of years) and plan to modify the Honda cap to accept Atwood fuel fittings so as to draw fuel from the 3gal tank. I will construct a platform on which to set the gen, stb aft. This will put the fuel cap on the gen a little more than 3ft above the cockpit floor. I understand there is a limit to the height fuel will be drawn by the vacuum caused by the Honda fuel pump. Has anyone tested the height the fuel can be drawn? I would like to set the 3 gal tank on the cockpit floor straight down from the gen with min length fuel line.

"C-Way" Silver Springs, FL
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two eu2000i hooked to a 12 gallon marine tank on our motorhome. I found this information from another site:

Ok, kiddos. Today I did some goofing with external Fuel tanks and the Honda EU2000i. Interesting results!

Background: I coupled an Atwood 12 gallon marine tank to an EU2000i. At the loads we typically run, this means about 4 days of non-stop fuel (3 GPD). But because this rig will be trailer mounted I wanted to see how much vertical distance the EU2000 could suck fuel out of the aux tank and into the genny tank at sea level. My goofings gave some interesting answers:

NOTE: the measurements given below are from the surface of the fuel level in the aux tank to the top of the generators gas cap. The bulk tank is at atmospheric pressure and no pressure or vacuum is allowed. Ambient temp was 93F at 23 feet above MSL. The generator tank was pre-filled to within 1/4 inch of the topmost thread on the cap (ie, nearly "full to the brim")

Results:
0 to 30 inches: ran fine for all loads up to and including 1600 watts
30 to 34 inches: ran ok, with the occasional miss, at loads up to 1000 watts.
>36 inches: Nada. Full stop after 10 mins or so. Repeated tries could not cure this and the genny can not overcome this lift. Anything over 36 inches kills the genny after a minute or two.

So at sea level, the safe "do not exceed" differential level should be 30 inches. Running the numbers for elevations of 4500 feet and a 105F ambient temperature shows you can safely and reliably run up to 26 inches of draw on the playa. If you are the conservative type, make this number 20 inches and you should be absolutely golden up to 7000 feet MSL.

So now we know. :mrgreen:

NEXT UP: I want to investigate the effects of installing a fuel demand regulator and allowing the aux tank to operate in "California SCAQMD mode" (ie, the tank can pressurize up to 5 psi to keep fuel vapor emissions at nil levels)

Parts list:
Fuel cap: Great River: http://www.amazon.com/EXTENDED-FUEL-HON ... B004BJ5YKM
Fuel Tank: Atwood: http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/prod ... fuel-tanks
Fuel Line and primer bulb: Atwood: http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-CARB-Univ ... B009RJK532

Final note: the right way to feed the EU2000 is from a tank located at the same level, or slightly higher. In a perfect world, this is what you SHOULD do. Unfortunately I am constrained to a less-than-perfect world and the tank will be slightly lower than the genny. If you can get the tank slightly higher, do it. It works better that way!

BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post
Roy & Dixie

City/Region: Silver Springs
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Way
Photos: C-Way
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAZO, you answered my question 200%. I had also wondered if the gen would shut down right away if you exceeded the lift capability of the gen pump. Common sense says "yes", as vacuum in the gen tank would prevent fuel flowing into the gen fuel bowl. You confirmed that, along with the "30in ideal max lift ability". Then you mentioned a controlled pressure in the aux tank, which would push fuel up to the gen. I have been thinking about that also. Keep us posted as you learn more concerning that.

I viewed your photos of your gen location. Is that your fuel tank that the gen is sitting on? If so, I have never seen one like that.

Thank you for the excellent answer to my original question. I'm sure many others have wondered the same thing.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your links do not work

Try using https://bitly.com/ also used by Twitter who used TinyUrl previously

go well

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a West Marine plastic "crate" on the swim step--works great for either the EU 1000 or 2000. We did have a plywood board with cleats on the bottom and holes for the feet bored out for the 2000. For the 1000 the generator sits on the bottom of the crate (which is up side down).

Most experiments to draw fuel out of C Dory tanks have not been successful (to my knowledge) for the Honda. We just put our 6 gallon tank on about the same level as the generator--and it works great.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
nmitch2859

City/Region: virginiabeach
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Delfin
Photos: Delfin
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 25 C-D. My 2000 is mounted on the starboard side in the motor well. I tried to run a hose from the primary filter wit a quick disconnect. Leaked and did not work. I did buy the extended run system from Northern Tool. I made a stand for the tank. It mounted in between the cockpit hatches. I do leave the hose connected. No problem. I run an extension cord from gen to shore power outlet. With door open, on eco mode. And at speed I cannot here it. It does use atmospheric pressure and the pump. Neal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: