The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Keeping Up With The Austins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Keeping Up With The Austins Reply with quote

We just ordered a new EZ Loader tandem axle trailer to go under the boat. Heck, if Dr Bob and Miss Marie can get a new trailer, why not us.

Actually, we've been talking about a tandem axle trailer ever since we started towing long distances. The tipping point was doing a bit of maintenance this morning, and finding that the master cylinder on our trailer was empty, and the interior was 'gunked'. It will have to be flushed out, but other than that the old beast is just fine. I just would feel better having two more wheels on the ground behind me. They tow smoother as well.

All of this may have me scrambling to be able to meet up with Pat and Patty in Eastern Oregon for the Powell trip, but I think it's the right thing to do.

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping Up With The Austins Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:

All of this may have me scrambling to be able to meet up with Pat and Patty in Eastern Oregon for the Powell trip, but I think it's the right thing to do.

Funny, but I just arranged one of those "keeping up with the..... but gee this is going to make leaving for Powell really tight" things, too Smile

Found out I could get in and get a camperback made prior to leaving the NW -- jumped on it! I have been wanting one ever since I was shopping for my 22, but the timing or location were never right to have one made. Ironically, I don't see using it at Powell (didn't even have my bimini up all the time last year), but this is the time/place to "get 'er done" for other/future trips.

Now I have to choose a fabric color.... pressure is on Very Happy

Back to your trailer: I bet you will really enjoy a new trailer! I hope we both get on the road in timely fashion Thumbs Up
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See you there Sunbeam. Good luck on the color choice!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll never tell where we are, but closer to Powell...

Good plan on upgrading to tandem axle. We should have done it when we first bought the boat.

Sunbeam--wow getting a cover done in a couple of weeks. Good for you. The camper back adds a lot for boating--even in S. Calif. We don't take ours to Powell. You want the breeze thru the cockpit there and the shade from the Bimini.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
johnbenj

City/Region: Bainbridge Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Amoreena
Photos: Rabbit Rabbit
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: what did you buy? Reply with quote

Quote:
We just ordered a new EZ Loader tandem axle trailer to go under the boat.

I will be buying a double-axle for my 22 in the next four to six weeks. I wonder if you'd share the details of what you purchased and perhaps save me some time in research and asking dumb questions?

Thanks in advance,
john
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: what did you buy? Reply with quote

John, My requirements were pretty simple. The smallest EZ Loader tandem axle trailer for a 22' CDory is their 4700# model, per Sportcraft, the dealer that I prefer to work with. I wanted bunks, side guides, disk brakes on both axles, spare carrier and tire, and oil bath bearings. This will be the fourth EZ Loader that I have had on various boats, and I am happy with their product.

Steve

johnbenj wrote:
Quote:
We just ordered a new EZ Loader tandem axle trailer to go under the boat.

I will be buying a double-axle for my 22 in the next four to six weeks. I wonder if you'd share the details of what you purchased and perhaps save me some time in research and asking dumb questions?

Thanks in advance,
john
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, is the 4700# capacity, plus trailer, or trailer and boat capacity? Have you weighed the boat, on the old trailer, then the trailer to determine the boat weight?
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Steve, is the 4700# capacity, plus trailer, or trailer and boat capacity? Have you weighed the boat, on the old trailer, then the trailer to determine the boat weight?

Bob, I don't know the answer for sure, but I believe it is what the trailer is rated to carry. My current single axle is a 3700# rating, and the loaded boat and trailer are above 4000#. I weighed it about 8 years ago.
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woooo Hooooo, the new trailer is under the boat, and it is wonderful. It tracks beautifully, doesn't jar you when you hit a bump, and the safety factor of having four wheels gives a whole new sense of security.

Sportcraft and EZ Loader did a great job.
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys trading in old trailers when getting new ones? just curious as I am looking to pick up a newer (current is 89) trailer. with better brake systems, torsion axles(vs springs we have now) ect.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local dealer (kitsap) suggested we try craigslist earlier this year and it was an easy sell at the value he suggested. Bought a new King and it feels good to have a fresher trailer with working brakes.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Keeping Up With The Austins Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
We just ordered a new EZ Loader tandem axle trailer to go under the boat. Heck, if Dr Bob and Miss Marie can get a new trailer, why not us.

Actually, we've been talking about a tandem axle trailer ever since we started towing long distances. The tipping point was doing a bit of maintenance this morning, and finding that the master cylinder on our trailer was empty, and the interior was 'gunked'. It will have to be flushed out, but other than that the old beast is just fine. I just would feel better having two more wheels on the ground behind me. They tow smoother as well.

we had a tandem axle when I was towing down 167 on my way to Lake Washington years ago and had a blowout. I was able to limp off the road to a safe place to put on the spare because we had a tandem. I've been sold ever since. Thumbs Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: