The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Where do all the old electronics end up?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Where do all the old electronics end up? Reply with quote

I never see much of the older electronics for sale here on the forum. I read about a lot of folks buying new GPS/Chart plotters, radars, etc. and I wonder what everyone does with the old stuff? Since I have a 16 year old boat with original electronics, I keep thinking there must be some good used e-gear floating around this group, half the age of mine, maybe stashed away collecting dust. I just replaced my VHF radio, now I am looking at replacing the GPS, fish finder and maybe adding radar and a AM/FM stereo. My nature is to buy used, fix, repair and recycle. Should anyone have electronic gear you need to sell, shoot me an email or PM.

Thanks,
Kevin
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do all the old electronics end up? Reply with quote

Montana Kev wrote:
I never see much of the older electronics for sale here on the forum. I read about a lot of folks buying new GPS/Chart plotters, radars, etc. and I wonder what everyone does with the old stuff? Since I have a 16 year old boat with original electronics, I keep thinking there must be some good used e-gear floating around this group, half the age of mine, maybe stashed away collecting dust. I just replaced my VHF radio, now I am looking at replacing the GPS, fish finder and maybe adding radar and a AM/FM stereo. My nature is to buy used, fix, repair and recycle. Should anyone have electronic gear you need to sell, shoot me an email or PM.

Thanks,
Kevin

Here in the Seattle area, a lot of boat electronics appear on craigslist.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay and Craigslist or to friends.

Tell the group what kind of gear you seek and how much you are willing to pay for it. I think you stand a good chance of creating an upgrade on someone's boat. I was not happy with the Raymarine setup on our 25 cruiser years ago and bought a new set of Garmin gear instead. I was able to sell off the Raymarine pieces on ebay and nearly cover the cost of the new gear.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems buying used gear, is that often there is a very good reason the folks are getting rid of it. There are some huge changes and upgrades in the last few years. Probably the best buys is a line which is becoming legacy equipment, but is still supported by the manufacturer. Be very cautious buying older equipment which is no longer supported by the manufacturer. Often transducers, chart chips etc are not available, or may cost more than you want to pay. Most new chart plotters have high resolution charts of both the coasts of N. A, as well as the lakes. The most recent have some extraordinary detail of the depths.

Don't forget I pad or windows compatible charts--they are often of high quality at bargain prices.

I would make sure than any thing you buy is working properly.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated just over a year ago, nothing wrong with my Raymarine C80 but it was a 2004 model and there have been lots of improvement over the years..... I purchased a C140 from the Raymarine outlet and added the new upgrades.... found that I had to upgrade everything...indluding my radar dome...and GPS...so everything is new..... I sold my older stuff on EBAY and the upgrade did not cost that much... amazing how well that used stuff sold.

In my thinking I just don't trust my life to older or second hand electronics..if I didn't need it I would not have it, and if I have it I want the best...just like my hand guns

Joel
SEA3PO.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get rid of electronics that annoy me but that does not mean they will not perform good service for another person without my electronic tastes.

I would would also feel better about buying used goods from a person on this site than from just a person from ebay or craigslist.

Greg
Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browsers are really making this Dup post thing easier to do.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wondered the same thing. I guess folks just put them on eBay or Craigslist because there is a large audience, and sometimes you just want to get the old stuff gone (heh, to help mitigate the "ouch" of the new). Too, maybe if people aren't sure what they are worth, it's easy for eBay to "set" the price via auction, vs. having to come up with a number. I could see that.

I'm looking at new electronics myself.

In the meantime, if anyone has an older working head unit for a Garmin depth sounder.... I'd be all ears. Reason is I have an older Garmin 160 Blue depth sounder, and a newer P-66 transducer, and things quit working properly when I put the new transducer on (it worked fine for a week, then not). But Airmar say it can't be the transducer and must be the head unit. I'd love to get another head unit to try. I only use the depth "number" so don't need anything fancy. 8-pin or 6-pin connector would work.

Sunbeam

Last edited by Sunbeam on Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I would much rather buy used items from this group then off ebay, especially electronic equipment. I have had good luck with all the items purchased thru C-Brats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: