The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dometic chest type freezer/refeig
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy & Dixie

City/Region: Silver Springs
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Way
Photos: C-Way
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a CF-50 from PPL. I was about to order from Am RV but kept going down the web pages and found PPL. The CF-50 is on sale at a price lower than any other I could find, plus there is no tax (Am RV charges tax in FL & CA) and shipping was $9.99 vs $72.55 from AM RV. That sale runs thru today ($579.95); item in stock.

"C-Way" Silver Springs, FL
Gilbertsons

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Little Bit
Photos: Little Bit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I just pulled the trigger on the Dometic CF-50 from PPL Motor Homes and was ready to post the deal online here and Roy already did it! Great deal on this unit. I called first and they said they have 14 in stock. Decided I wanted the cover and I had to order that from American RV for $45.86 and shipping of $14.83....more that the portable fridge/freezer from PPL!

I know of PPL through my inlaws who live in Houston. PPL is a huge RV consignment operation but also sell parts, acessories, etc.

Scott
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm strongly considering the Dometic CF50 as well. I have a question for those of you who have used it:

Is there any way of having it both freeze and refrigerate at the same time? I realize it's only meant to do one or the other, officially, but I can envision using it as a refrigerator, but gee, it would be nice if one could also make a few ice cubes. Is there a setting wherein perhaps a couple items on the very bottom could be frozen but most everything would be refrigerated?

Prior to this, I had been thinking of getting something like a "25" size freezer, and then using it just as a freezer and to freeze jugs of ice that I could then transfer to my big cooler (which would function at refrigeration temps). Trying to see if I could get by with just the CF50 most times..... but I'd sure like a bit of freezer along with a bit of refrigerator. Not sure I need an entire "50" of freezer. Hard to tell until you have one, of course.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way you think sunbeam,

I have also considered the small freezer for ice production as our likely solution for some longer trips in the future. I would build a nice little flip-top box around it and use it for an entry step into the cockpit.

For now out cooler seats have lasted 4-5 days with no trouble and work for how we use the boat now.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sunbeam. Our CF50 set at -4C will freeze in the lower part and refrigerate in a wire basket we found to fit the wire cage in the unit. It just hangs there. It took some trial and error but we put a 1/2 inch foam pad on the bottom of the wire hanging basket we put in there and keep veggies on topmost We have ice cube tray on the very bottom of the box with steaks etc and ice cream!!!! And then in the hanging basket have things not needing freezing like tonight's chow and then veggies furthest from the bottom. We've had a little frozen veggies once in a while but they make a good stir fry. It does make a statement when you have ice you made aboard in your sundowner. We be yachting now mon. Beef up your solar array and house bank and go for it.
I'm waiting right now for it to be 5:00 somewhere so we can have happy hour. I'm actually in a marina in Nanaimo with shore power off and my solar farm on the dock. 2 portable Go power solar panels. One of 40 watt and one 60 watt. It's cloudy and my battery is at 13.5v. Life is great! George
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghone wrote:
We have ice cube tray on the very bottom of the box with steaks etc and ice cream!!!! We be yachting now mon.

Sold! Mr. Green

Thanks for that perfect info Thumbs Up
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Good customer service Dometic. Reply with quote

Just to add my experience with Dometic (WAECO) CF50. Although I posted the whole story on a separate thread, some will not read thru it to see the final result.

10 days after I first contacted customer service, I finally got a phone response from a supervisor in tech/warrantee division. I described the issues in detail. Even though we had decided to "tough it out", and there was some question in our minds about how well our unit was working in hot weather, and the LED read out was significantly different than the measured temperature in the unit, she offered us a new unit to be shipped to our home at no cost. We have to ship back the serial number/model number tag, but will be keeping the old unit.

Once we got to a supervisor, the issue was solved to our satisfaction.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the flollow up (I did just go ahead and buy one of these). So now we CF-50 owners want the part number for the repair kit you'll be getting and the name of your supervisor/contact. Sounds like they really came through in the end - especially that supervisor (too bad about all the hoops and time you had to go through to get there, though).
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam, the supervisor says there is NO replacement thermistor kit. She has been in the division which deals with the Dometic (WAECO) chest/refrigerator series for 10 years. I talked to the tech who came by the house yesterday, and he insists that Dometic tech support told him that there was a kit, but he had not ordered it yet. There are a number of sources of a replacement Thermistor on the internet. I will be happy to link to those if anyone needs one. The tech had not yet ordered the "kit", I will probably order one of the ones off the Internet.

I will give out the name or number of this supervisor to anyone who is having problems with their Domestic chest type freezer/refer, after they have gone thru the usual diagnostic protocol. This means:
Be sure the unit is not running on "Emergency" setting. This puts the compressor on full time, and is a switch near the power cords input.
After people have checked to see if the compressor is running and cooling, by measuring temps as below:.

Checking the actual temps of the inside of the unit on various settings, with a thermometer (and IR on the surface of a pan of water, is close to the measurement of alcohol, with a probe thermometer.

All of my testing has been on the mains power so far. Since I have a constant 30 amp power supply at 13.8 volts, I will measure it on that, and will measure on the same battery I had eased at Powell, with the same changing protocol (range of voltage 12.8 to 12.2.) (Interestingly the Tech who came by insisted that "12.5 volts is a battery half discharged"--and he considered 12.2 almost a dead battery. Even mentioned that I didn't know what I was talking about when I made the comment that I never allowed the voltage to drop to less than 12.2, which I considered to be 50% discharged. I did not argue with him, but he deals with RV's where there is often a "converter" running, which keeps the voltage from 13 to 13.8 volts. Thus it is most likely that all of the claimed current draw was at 13.8 volts, rather than 12.2 volts (and there will be a difference).

During this testing I will also set the system up so I can measure the amp draw on start up, as well as running for the compressor at various voltages.
I can also measure the run time, and compare the "new" unit and the unit I have with temperature measurements.

Even though it is cooling off in Pensacola, I can get temps close to what we had at Powell, in the interior of the C Dory 22 with windows shut, during the day. I will try and do some of these tests next week, on a new thread.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four years later I have an update on the Dometic CF 50. We have used it on 6 trips to Calif. several years in the RV and about 8 months in the boats. Two days ago it failed in the same fashion as the last one, and I believe it is the thermistor. We will finish out this trip with a freezer temp of 26.5 degrees. Then perhaps replace the Thermister, but will never buy another Dometic product! This thermistor issue is a well documented failure.

Either a ABR or Engle will replace the Dometic. Thataway has an Engle on slides under the front dinette seat which works well as a reefer.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dual post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: