The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dometic chest type freezer/refeig
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy & Dixie

City/Region: Silver Springs
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Way
Photos: C-Way
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Dometic chest type freezer/refeig Reply with quote

Now that the Honda 2000 is on order & en route, and the 5000BTU AC installation is well underway, I have another convenience item in mind for C-Way. I have measured the area in the bow between the bunks. We use the cushion to make up a queen size bed. The area beneath would be a perfect spot for a Dometic CF 35 freezer/refrig. It is 12/24v dc, 110 AC. On 12v it draws 3.75a. We would need to pull the unit out @ 2ft to open it when necessary, but it could remain in that general location at all times. With the gen, keeping the batts charged would be no problem when not underway or dockside. We would get the taller unit if we were going to keep the unit out on the deck, but I worry about the electrical components if exposed to the elements in that location.

Does anyone have experience with one of the Dometic units onboard either inside the cabin or on the deck exposed to all the elements.

"C-Way" Silver Springs, FL
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Dometic Chest type freezer/refeig Reply with quote

I like this one but it might not fit under your bunk. Seems to have some saltwater protection. Engel has a pretty good name.
ENGEL MR040F-U1 - 40 Quart AC/DC Fridge-Freezer

Our Price: $849.00

ENGEL MT35 - 34 Quart - 12 Volt Cooler - AC/DC Fridge-Freezer

Our Price: $868.00

ENGEL MT45F-U1-Medium Size (43 Quart) 12 v AC/DC Fridge Freezer

Our Price: $910.00

We offer free shipping on the MRO4OF-U1 - 40 Quart AC/DC Engel Fridge-Freezer to the lower 48 states. This model is designed for marine use incorporating an ABS exterior that resists the saltwater and has rubber corner guards that protects your boat from scratching.

texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the Brats have the Engel's. The power usage is quite low.
They are pre set up to run on 110 or 12v and you keep both plugged in.
Whenever it senses 110 volt power it switches.

I have the marine model and it stays on the back deck in all weather.

A C-brat buddy has one he got in New zealand about 20 or 30 years ago and it is still running.

The thermostat is very precise, I can dial it in where the thermometer at the top is 33-34 degrees and the stuff on top stays cold, the stuff I put on bottom stays frozen.
They make several sizes, but last look the marine model was offered only in one size, fortunately that seems to be the perfect size for a C-Dory
They are tough, we use ours as a step to get in and out of the boat.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the MR040 a few months ago and the first question I had was are they reasonably weatherproof. The customer service dept. told me the electronics portion on the left end is not well protected and shouldn't be subjected to water. When I asked about the transit cover she said it would give a lot more protection. I usually keep mine set on between 1 and 2. If I am at speed I might turn it up for a short while. You can take the basket out and gain a little more room. I just ordered a vertical ice tray. Taking the basket out will allow it to sit tight against the condensor coil and freeze more efficiently. Mine rides in the space in the v berth. But I have to turn it pretty low at night so the low hum as it cycles won't wake me up. I haven't tried putting any rubber insulation under it yet. That might minimize the hum. It isn't loud, nor cycles very often, but I am a light sleeper. An old habit from my sailing days. If you turn the engel up it will freeze everything up in just a few minutes. The power draw is so low my trojan grp 29 will run it for about 2 days without starting the engine.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have owned the Norcold type for over 30 years. More recently, for the last 3 + years we have owned the Dometic CF 50. The compressors are all about the same in the Dometic series. Basically Dometic bought Adler Barber, which has a very long history in the small refrigeration units. The same compressors are used in the portable units. The CF 50 sits in the cockpit of the C Dory22. When underway we have the extra insllation jacket on it, as well as a foam/reflective material 1/2 " over the top. We have had no problem, but I would not get salt water on the unit and allow it it sit for any length of time. This would hold true for any brand of unit. This was the eventual death of our first Norcold chest type (but it lasted for 15 years before its demise!)

The CF 50 is about 0.6 cubic feet larger. We keep the inside temp at about zero in the Lake Powell environment--and use about 50 amp hours per 24 hours, and we recharge it with a 30 amp battery charger over 2 hours of generator run time per day. Our Honda 90 only has a 17 amp alternator output, but we do use it when underway to charge the unit.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidence: I was just looking at these yesterday while running another errand in Seattle. Have been thinking of getting a smallish one then using it as the complete refrigerator on shorter trips, and/or as a freezer on longer trips (and making my own ice blocks for the regular old cooler. Plus I could supplement the RV freezer with it as needed

Online, I had been looking at the Engel, National Luna, Whynter, ARB, Vitrifrigo, Isotherm, etc. They all seem to have the same potential issue with water entry. I wanted to put it in the cockpit because I don't like to listen to anything when I'm trying to sleep, although perhaps I could turn it off at night if it were in the cabin. Maybe a cover in the cockpit with a section that could be put over the compressor vents if necessary (with unit turned off). It's good to hear that they have survived in the cockpit for some of you.

I did find one (can't remember, but think it was Vitrifrigo or Isotherm) that stated it was more for outdoor/wet use, but then I was unable to actually find it for sale anywhere (maybe it was never exported).

Fellow at Sure Marine yesterday said the Dometic/Weaco is now using the Danfoss compressor (good). He was not as fond of the Sawafuji compressor (Engel), because he felt it was louder; but then that was just one opinion and many people swear by the Engel so I don't think it can be "bad." He did say the current Norcold ones used a "knockoff" Danfoss type compressor (but who knows maybe it is fine anyway).

In the end, a lot seems to be in choosing the "ergonomics" of how you want it: Lid type/direction, baskets, etc.

Anyway, so I'm interested to read what folks have to say here as well.
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to make things cool the machine has to pump heat out. Where does that heat go? For those that have one in the bunk area, does it add neat noticeably? I think about window mounted air conditioners. The cooling coil is outside so the heat is dissipated outside.
Chuck

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had the Norcold about 2 cu feet mounted under the forward seat in the Tom cat. Not much noticeable heat in the large scheme of things. Plenty of air circulation is necessary near the vents of the unit.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the CF50 like Bob's. Our first season with it. Love the unit. Works well. It's in the cockpit , we have the camperback up all the time so it's dry. My only issue is I only put a 40 watt solar panel which covers about half the daily draw. I figure about 50 amps a 24 hour day also. After 3 days on the hook the group 29 battery is down around 11.8 or 11.9 so wants a good charge. The ob puts out 25 amps so a good long run is needed like 5 hours. We typically don't run that far so I'll be adding another panel. 80 watt Go Power portable. The 40 watt is by Go Power and is a complete ready to go portable when unboxed. Shoulda got the 80 in the first place. So with 120 watts we should be unplugged always unless it rains. The fridge is set at -4 C and we can freeze things (ice cubes mandatory for sundowners) and with a wire basket with 1/2 foam in it keep veggies unfrozen. The unit is an either or fridge freezer but we figured a way around that. Very nice addition to our life. No more hunting for block ice that is getting harder to find.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never noticed much heat coming out of it. In the northwest the cabin doesn't usually get warm enough to notice it. Before next summer I am going to get the transit cover and just leave it in the cockpit.

As an aside, on you tube there are some real world testimonials about the engel. The australian outback is a real test, and some of the folks in the videos have been using the same engel for over 30 years. That was what really convinced me to go that route.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did a LOT of research, and ultimately chose the ARB 50 quart freezer. 1.3 amp draw at 15 degrees. It is mounted on a slide out drawer under the galley. We are loving it so far, will be glad to show it off at Powell!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Roy & Dixie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texasair wrote:
Many of the Brats have the Engel's. The power usage is quite low.
They are pre set up to run on 110 or 12v and you keep both plugged in.
Whenever it senses 110 volt power it switches.

I have the marine model and it stays on the back deck in all weather.

A C-brat buddy has one he got in New zealand about 20 or 30 years ago and it is still running.

The thermostat is very precise, I can dial it in where the thermometer at the top is 33-34 degrees and the stuff on top stays cold, the stuff I put on bottom stays frozen.
They make several sizes, but last look the marine model was offered only in one size, fortunately that seems to be the perfect size for a C-Dory
They are tough, we use ours as a step to get in and out of the boat.

Texasair, which model do you have? I can see it in your photos of the Honda gen and AC, but not sure which model it is. Do you ever run in a salt water environment? I'd rather keep a freezer on the rear deck, and would get a larger unit if I did, but we have run in some serious wx and taken salt water on to the point of needing to run the bilge pump.

After reading all the posts to this point, I get the feeling that any of the units could be damaged if subjected to serious water intrusion into the compressor area.

On line I have found a site, American RV Company, that handles both Dometic and Engel. The Dometic CF35 is $529.90+63.10 shipping=$593.00. The Engel MT35F is $868.00 with free shipping to my FL area code. They are about the same capacity.

Will-C, From your wording I'm not sure if you or your company sells the Engel units, or were you quoting prices from a site such as Am RV Co?

I'm still leaning to keeping the unit inside. The hum when running would lull me to sleep. I always have had either a 12v fan or a white noise machine set to give a steady rain sound which I run off a small inverter. Strangely, things suddenly becoming quiet is what wakes me up.

I'll continue to reread all the posts and await any additional info. Thanks, everyone.
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older model of the MR040.

The white noise thing would not work, because the compressor turns on and off.
It is very quiet and subtle, but it is noticeable even on the back deck sitting on a rubber mat. More of a subtle vibration than a noise. Very subtle, does not bother me or the first mate.

We have left ours outside in rain showers and traveled in a salt water coastal environment with no issues. We have never been in a situation where we were taking major amounts of salt water into the cockpit area. My instincts would say that one would not want to expose the unit to constant salt water spray or waves.
Roy & Dixie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
We did a LOT of research, and ultimately chose the ARB 50 quart freezer. 1.3 amp draw at 15 degrees. It is mounted on a slide out drawer under the galley. We are loving it so far, will be glad to show it off at Powell!

Pat who makes the ARB 50 unit? Opps, I just found it on-line. I'll read all about it now. Thanks
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R&D

We also have the Dometic CF50 and highly recommend it. if you get the Dometic we strongly suggest you buy the (very well made) insulated cover as well. We bought our unit through American RV.

I installed two 12V plugs on the splashwell bulkhead (aft side of the cockpit) and use one to plug-in the Dometic, and the other is used for the 12V cable running to the back of the truck RV-plug, to keep the batt's chaged while on the road.

All works like a charm.

Best,
Casey&Mary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: