HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Friday Harbor Fuel cost me over $700
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainger

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Friday Harbor Fuel cost me over $700 Reply with quote

Last Saturday I was in Friday Harbor and got fuel before heading home.

After getting home and going fishing my starboard engine sputtered and died. I figured it was a fuel problem. I changed the racor filters and still the engine was only running on 2 cylinders.

I took the boat to the Marine shop. They determined the carbs were all clogged up and needed cleaning.

I have just got a call from them and it turns out the brand new racor I put on is now filled with junk from the tank. The tank is contaminated with a bunch of junk on the bottom. This had to have come from the fuel in Friday Harbor because all was running well for the month before and I had already put fuel in that tank a previous time with no problems.

I have been told my bill is already up to 700 and climbing.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel. When we bought our 10 year old boat it had a one year old EFI engine with about 50 hours on it. But, the crud in the gas tank did us in for about the same amount. It's disappointing but it will all work out, probably sooner than later.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe that FH gas could be so bad. They go through tons of fuel at this time of year, and have lots of deliveries.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
rainger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the bill came to $1026. I think I was the unfortunate one at FH that fateful Sat morning. FH fuel will deny it however all was fine with my fuel before I filled up there. I realize they go through a lot but I was the first to fill up Sat morning and who knows what may have happened with a new delivery the night before.

I understand that people wont believe it, however, I had been running the boat for over 30 hours up to that time. No problems no crud in the filter or lines.

After the Sat morn fill up the fuel was all murky with rust through it and water.

The guys at the marine shop showed me the junk they were getting out of the tank. There was definite rust and contamination in the fuel. BTW I have plastic tanks they cant have rust. They needed to get a vacuum pump into the tank to get as much of the crap they could out of the bottom. However they were not able to get it all with out a much larger bill to take the tank out.

I now have to monitor my primary filter religiously to drain off more crap as it gets to the bowl.

If the problems were in the fuel from before why didn't they show in all the previous hours and bouncing around in heavy waves the weeks before I went to FH?

On the day I went over I was in heavy seas and the tanks were bounced around real good. Any crap should have been stirred up on the trip over and killed my engine long before I got the fuel.

A 1k bill sucks!
rainger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromer wrote:
I find it hard to believe that FH gas could be so bad. They go through tons of fuel at this time of year, and have lots of deliveries.

Yup and I contend they got a bad delivery.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as though you are pretty sure you took on bad fuel, but if you are still considering anything else, a couple of thoughts:

I noticed that the previous owner of your 22 had quite a few water-in-fuel problems. To the point of having carbs rebuilt and the tanks professionally cleaned. Maybe it's just a coincidence and you both took on really bad fuel, but on the other hand, what else could it be....

Well, the 22's do have an issue that has cropped up more than once. That is that on certain boats the fuel vents were installed really high up - just under the gunwale. You'd think that would be good, but what it actually does is mean there is no room for a loop, so any water that does get to the vent has an easy path into the fuel tank. Worse, some vents were apparently installed with the opening pointing forward (ripe for spray intake).

My 22 came to me with the high vents. I re-did the entire fuel system right away, and as a part of that installed vents with vented loops inside the boat (trap style) which are very resistant to water intake (you can see details in the "Sunbeam ~ 22 Cruiser" thread if you are interested. I had to do a little bit of re-working to make them fit (to get enough clearance above them) but they ended up fitting beautifully. At the very least you could check to see that the openings are pointed aft, not forward.

This photo shows that you have the "high" fuel vents that thus lead straight into the tank (no upward loop inside the boat, just an elbow leading straight down).

Another thing I wondered was whether filling tanks could have stirred up crud/water that was in them (instead of it staying settled on the bottom). I have noticed that when I fill my tanks the "jet" of fuel that shoots down into the tank really causes the fuel to flip and tumble inside the tank. I have to fill really slowly as they get near the top or this effect can cause fuel to shoot back out the fill. Perhaps this doesn't take place in your tanks. (I have my tanks set up so I can see the area right beneath the fuel fill.)

If you did get bad fuel from Friday Harbor, I would contact them. Perhaps they can tell you if you were one of the first (or last) getting fuel on a specific delivery.

Sunbeam
rainger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
It sounds as though you are pretty sure you took on bad fuel, but if you are still considering anything else, a couple of thoughts:

I noticed that the previous owner of your 22 had quite a few water-in-fuel problems. To the point of having carbs rebuilt and the tanks professionally cleaned. Maybe it's just a coincidence and you both took on really bad fuel, but on the other hand, what else could it be....

Well, the 22's do have an issue that has cropped up more than once. That is that on certain boats the fuel vents were installed really high up - just under the gunwale. You'd think that would be good, but what it actually does is mean there is no room for a loop, so any water that does get to the vent has an easy path into the fuel tank. Worse, some vents were apparently installed with the opening pointing forward (ripe for spray intake).

My 22 came to me with the high vents. I re-did the entire fuel system right away, and as a part of that installed vents with vented loops inside the boat (trap style) which are very resistant to water intake (you can see details in the "Sunbeam ~ 22 Cruiser" thread if you are interested. I had to do a little bit of re-working to make them fit (to get enough clearance above them) but they ended up fitting beautifully. At the very least you could check to see that the openings are pointed aft, not forward.

This photo shows that you have the "high" fuel vents that thus lead straight into the tank (no upward loop inside the boat, just an elbow leading straight down).

Another thing I wondered was whether filling tanks could have stirred up crud/water that was in them (instead of it staying settled on the bottom). I have noticed that when I fill my tanks the "jet" of fuel that shoots down into the tank really causes the fuel to flip and tumble inside the tank. I have to fill really slowly as they get near the top or this effect can cause fuel to shoot back out the fill. Perhaps this doesn't take place in your tanks. (I have my tanks set up so I can see the area right beneath the fuel fill.)

If you did get bad fuel from Friday Harbor, I would contact them. Perhaps they can tell you if you were one of the first (or last) getting fuel on a specific delivery.

Sunbeam

Wow thanks for the great insight. I will look into all of that. The problem I have is the amount of rust that was in the fuel when I have plastic tanks. However I will check out the vent issue. Also I have a problem understanding if it is a vent problem why it was only one side and not the other as well?

You talk as if the info regarding this boat and previous problems are know to you. Did the previous owner share info on this site??
rainger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks I found all of the posts from the previous owner. Interesting. I understand the water issue I will work on that.

I do not however understand the sludge /rust/ metal/issue that the tank had when they are plastic.

Yes my vents are as was stated by sunbeam. That will be changed pronto.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainger wrote:
Also I have a problem understanding if it is a vent problem why it was only one side and not the other as well?

Perhaps there was more spray on one side vs. another when you were running? Wind or sea state? Hence more water driven into the vent on that side?
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not the first boat to get bad gas in the islands. Friday harbor is know for bad gas by a lot of boaters. I have never had a problem but try not to gas there if I can. A couple on my folks dock will never get fuel there. Asked him why and he got to mad to talk about it... I find it hard to believe that you could get that much rust build up in just one trip with out getting a bad load of fuel.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I totally know what you are saying...... Sue and I once bought a bad tank of fuel at a station on Hwy 5..... (you would think they would have fresh fuel as they pump so much) We were towing, and our poor ole truck felt like it blew a cylinder... we could barely hold 50 mph... after the tank ran out we refueled and amazing the truck would run again.

Sue wrote Shell and complained and Shell, (a company I really do not like as they sold fuel to North Vietnam )
Amazing to us they paid for the cost of that tank of half water half gas.

Joel
SEA3PO
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, You bought the bottom of the tank....that is what causes problems.... when you get the bottom, you get rust and water...lots of krap..

An easy indication of a problem is that the pump is running slowly.... it means the tank is low and is plugging the stations fuel filters...I used to work in a Chevron Station and if we never let our tanks get under 1/4 full we never had to change the filters in the pump... but when the tank got low it would plug the pump filter same day...and the owner hated that, not only was it work to replace the filters but it cost him money... so we checked the tanks often and never let them run low.

Joel
SEA3PO
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you got that rust, scale, and other crud right out of the pump. I'd be talking to them immediately. If it goes this far, I think the judge will be on your side as they tend to side with the consumer on stuff like this.
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered filing a claim against the fueling facility's insurance company?
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about marine standards but the one time we got a bad load of fuel for a car the station did not question their responsibility to fix things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: