The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Best Grill for a CD-22?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Best Grill for a CD-22? Reply with quote

I've been watching the latest grill threads, and am curious as to which is the most popular model for the CD-22.

We really do need an outside grill to keep the fumes outside, but don't want to buy the wrong model/s.

We're going to visit our son in the army for family day in three weeks and he hasn't seen the boat yet so we want to be able to have a nice picnic aboard for him.

All comments and experiences are appreiciated.

Thanks - Law
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn and I love our new Magma Newport grill. Not too big, not too small, cooks fast and clean. We attached a Scotty post adapter sold by Magma and it can be connected to any Scotty rod holder. It makes it really easy to move around plus I store it inside the cabin while underway or while the boat is stored.

The Newport model was on sale at West Marine but is still kinda pricey. The post adapter was also expensive, ($40!). I've since found out that I could buy a Scotty post separately for about $8 and could have fashioned a square plate to screw onto the bottom of the grill at a much cheaper price.

I posted a couple of pics in the Gallely album. Good luck in your search.

Peter
C-Dancer
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at that thread as well. It prompted me to look at EBay since the prices for new ones is so rediculous! So far they seem to still sell for too much. I guess I'll just have to stick with my portable propane grill that I paid $19 for at GI Joes. I've used it several times on the engine cover of the sled.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased a "Big Green Egg" for my boat... They are coast guard approved, but a bit heavy...due to their ceramic type design. 1st saw them on board on a charter fishing trip in Destin, FL. They make 4 sizes...and the very smallest one is small enough to stick in a tupaware or similar storage tub. I bought the 2nd from the smallest, and plan to make some type of cabinet set up for my AC and this BGE grill.

I will some day soon figure out how to put my Magma grill and the fishing rod mount on ebay. I plan to just post it at about 40% of new and see where the bids take it. I have only used it on the boat about 6 times due to having the wallas and now my egg, but at the same time have used it about a dozen times when my big gas grill has run out of propane at the house... The reason for selling it is that I like slower, longer type cooking, more in line with "smokers." Runs in the family... and this Magma grill is not slow...and no way to attempt to slow smoke a product on it. Folks love them, it is simply not the grill for me.
Byrdman on FreeByrd
Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys.

We've heard that the Magma grills cook a little fast for the kind of cooking we want to do.

Primarily we want to grill fresh caught fish, so we'll need a fine mesh grill for that purpose. We would prefer to use stainless steel.

Has anyone found a suitable grill for grilling fish?

Thanks - Law
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually on mine (Magma Catalina) I want to turn it up for doing salmon steaks Exclamation for slow-cook dogs, I'd rather use it's top grill.
Lets see; one can always buy a cheap gadget to place on the grill-top for fish. Have one for the big barby at home, we likem Thumbs Up Look-like a coated flat piece of cookware, thats got a bunch of little ho's (holes) in it Laughing
I'm stayin with this design for the sake of the way it mounts (on the gunnel) Exclamation Thumbs Up Don't need sumpin that has to be placed somewhere in the cockpit takin up room Thumbs Down

AS I was at west marine, this fella that was ringin-out next to me told me how much he liked the model I was eyeballin and latter bought. Said he had a force-10.... did not like it! kept blowing out all the time. So far, I have not wind-tested this one.

If you conceder a Catalina model; there heavy and built like a brickshithouse Exclamation spendy to Crying or Very sad Surprised thats why ya need ta find one used or on sale Mr. Green

I sure like what Roger found (Cobb grill) Thumbs Up would get one of them... but most the time I'm on-the-move so much... (fishin season) I don't have time and need somthin that's instantly ready. I think I'll get a Cobb for the beach in the off-season Thumbs Up Exclamation I'm sure there safer anyway Idea
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the round magna grill mounted in the rod holder. I just use the rod holder on the downrigger or one of the spares. I like to keep the grill out over the water and out of the cock pit. I always turn the heat all the way down and flip the meat a lot. It does cook fast but thats the great part. I have not tryed salmon yet but will soon. also will try to use it to boil water for crab. going to see how strong the mount arm is. I cooked lunch a blake island near seattle this sunday for some friends and they just loved the chicken i made. most people over cook chicken. my trick is to cook by forths. cook the first side until just 1/4 of the way thru in done then flip. then cook the other side 1/4 the way then flip two more times until the juice started to turn white then take it off. most people will try to grill half a side at a time. it gets to done and chewy.
Redƒox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom, innerestin Cool very inneresrestin and enlightnin Idea thnx for the tipmon Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: