lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redfox: Tell us more about the rocksalt.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedFox,

I too have used rock salt on the ice in the cooler for the same purpose.

Lloyds: If you have your fish well sealed (like in food saver packs), all you need to do is put in a layer of ice, sprinkle rock salt on it, put in a layer of fish, repeat - eg. ice, salt,fish, ice, salt fish. Just like making ice cream, the salt lowers the melting point of the ice to below freezing temps.

When I'm out at Neah Bay or Sekiu, I take the vacuum packer with, package the fish up and use this trick. By the time I get home (about a 5 hour drive), the fish are partially frozen. I quickly rinse off the salt and toss the bags in the freezer. The downsides of this method are: 1) the fish have to be well sealed or you can get very salty fish and 2) the salt needs to be rinsed off the bags or you get salt all over the inside of the freezer. Vacuum packing takes care of 1 and a good, quick rinse takes care of 2. If you are spending several days prior to getting your catch to the freezer, it's particularly useful.

Roger on the SeaDNA

lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to try that the next time I go to canada, and find some fish even dumber than I am. Cool
Redƒox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
Redfox: Tell us more about the rocksalt.

Roger covered it well Thumbs Up I been havin the hardest time even keeping up with email, let alone this site Cry I miss it Sad

The way I do it is- use them super-sized salmon bags with enough length to tip upward to keep water out while submersed in that freezing brine from all the glacier ice and salt. When home, I put them up in various ways. Them vacuum bags are spendy items Neutral no way could I take our vacuum sealer----weighs like 80 pounds Xmas Eek

Met a C-Dory person in the sound that taught me the rock-salt trick about a month ago. He showed me a totally-frozen gallon jug of milk in his cooler by this method. I was amazed Xmas Eek and put it to work right away Thumbs Up It all takes off a lot of stresin-out over possible salmon spoilage, you know... always having to head home early cuz of your catch Confused Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: