The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Canning?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redバx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Canning? Reply with quote

How bout it, has it been done on here (a canning thread) Question Well then leave it to someone who actually loves the stuff (eating) Smile to start one then Shocked Laughing

Question is for all you who can out there: Can you get quart-size salmon cans Question Neutral Was gonna try a search on the web, but thought I'd throw the question out on the pub, since your all so kind thoughtful and helpful around here Thumbs Up Idea

Well this see where this thread goes. I looked for one but could not find...
Redバx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What... no help yet Xmas Eek .... waaa Cry hey, I still can 't Laughing find a thing on the web for them hugeassed quart-size salmon cans Disgust errrrrr ... irritatin Angry

Don't make me throw a BF (bichfit) Laughing somebody get to anserin here ... Disgust
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta write to the Campbell Soup Company, RF. What's wrong with jars?

These guys sell 28 oz. Food Grade Cans. That's almost a quart.

http://www.wellscan.ca/usfolder/indexusa.htm

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redバx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: waahooo! Reply with quote

Geeyah Xmas Eek I mustbe stupidersumpin Crook Laughing Hey old Mike, that was kewl stuff, and thnx a bunch ol bud Thumbs Up Beer Mr. Green Cigar now ya got me droolin over that electric can sealer Smile I want one I want one Cry Disgust

Jars are great to bro... it's just cans are what I like to take out on snowmachine, or skiis or boat Wink or ship out to poor hungry family in the southeast Smile Laughing
Redバx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon dory wrote:
All the folks that I work with that come from the villages use jars for cannin salmon.

You just cannin fresh salmon or smoked?

arg Surprised fer now, just them tiny PW Sound silvers mostly, and I likem better than them huge silvers ya get out of Seward; smaller meat texture Smile and easyer to handle.
In years past I have put some smoke to em' then canned---that's always the way I like best---but this time-round; all we have time for is good old plain canned salmon... man, sometimes nutin's better than a can of that and a good WalaWala Sweet Onions Smile Smile Smile

Remember now... I'm the canman with a 40-foot one sittin in the other driveway... cans are my thing Star Teeth
Redバx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ... didyas just put this new "The Galley" Forum on here Question Thumbs Up
dogon dory

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redバx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to wife: after years of taking salmon (or buts') into boat or box-on-boat, now all I find necessary is a stringer (for me, piece of rope) over the gunnel and through the gills ro keep them guys from messin up the clean cockpit Idea you probythoughtathat but, it's a great step for me anyway Smile then I gut them whillle still on stringer, put the bodies into bodybags Shocked Laughing (salmon bags I found on the web in great quantity) it's worked like magic at keeping cooler and boat totally slime-free Thumbs Up I tend towards the "neat freak" when it comes to bein on a tiny boat for so many days-on-end Neutral
dogon dory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redバx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO far just one encounter with seal Confused i saw him eyeballin them, and younked-em-in boat. In several years just one encounter. Gotta watch them seals Shocked
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redfox,
I have canned a few salmon over the years. I have never used the larger jars or cans for fish. Every source I have read about canning fish advises against large sizes due to the difficulty of getting the entire contents to a safe temp. A home canner takes a long time to raise the internal temp of a large jar of fish. Most home canners will use 10 psi for 100 minutes for small jars (1/2 pint). Better safe than sorry. Very few survive a meeting with botulism.

akdeweyj

City/Region: Anchorage
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Salmon Cans Reply with quote

Redfox
Alaska Housewares sells can wholesale in town if you have a business license. 561-2240 Idea
akdeweyj

City/Region: Anchorage
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Canning Reply with quote

Redfox
Frontier Paper in town (272-4000) sells the "body bags" - aka fish sleeves - aka food grade plastic bags in boxes of 1500. I bought a lifetime supply about 10 years ago & have yet to use a quarter of them.
Redバx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info Thumbs Up thanx much. I too use "body bags" Teeth keeps the cooler clean and slim-free to Smile I had to find them online though,,, tried this one-horse-town with no luck at all a few years ago Disgust

As for the cans.... I love them big ones (though I never used them till now) saves tons of time, and my experience with canning has left me with stuff getting overdone rather than underdone.

If I ever use-up my salmon bags aka "body bags" Laughing I'd use your source mentioned... shipping them large boxes is so damn spendy Cry

Just got back from Great Injun Grocery Store (10 days Exclamation ) got to get to cannin now Smile ever try rocksalt on your glacier ice Exclamation Idea you can freeze stuff in your cooler like that Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: